Breakfast Tacos

June 24, 2010

Hey guys!  Happy Thursday to ya!

Ryan went to Pittsburgh with our friend Steve today, so I’ve had the house all to myself.  Obviously I had a naked dance party.  Or laid around and watched old episodes of The Hills a la Madeline, but whatever.  Same difference.

I actually got some work done too, taking care of some online class business, and then writing for a few hours.  I graduated a few years ago with my MFA in poetry, but I actually took an extended break from writing poetry starting around last October.  I just really wasn’t feeling it.  For whatever reason, my “poetry writing” urges have started to itch recently, so I think I’m going to jump back into it.  This morning, I went through some of my older work and did some revision work, and it was really fun.  Sometimes a long break like that can really clear your head, you know?

ANYWAY.  After doing some laundry and showering, it was time for lunch…

Scrambled eggs, string cheese, and salsa in blue corn taco shells:

bloh 005

bloh 002

Yum!  I also snacked on a Myoplex Lite protein bar (had half this morning, and half after lunch for a dessert).  Eric, my trainer, told me that it would be a good idea to try to boost my protein, so we’ll see how it goes.  I’m a pretty hardcore carb lover.

Speaking of, I have another session with him today.  I’m still pretty sore from Tuesday, so I’m hoping maybe he’ll take it easy on me (although if Tuesday’s session is any indication, Eric’s M.O. isn’t really “take it easy.”).

After my Tuesday session, I texted some of my friends with a picture of Eric’s business card.  He’s a pretty hardcore body-building competitor, and his card shows it.  My sister texted back and couldn’t believe that I was really training with him, which got me thinking—what kind of trainer would I want, if I had the choice?  Male or female?  Bodybuilder?  Yoga devotee?  Jillian or Bob?

The truth is, Eric’s body is scary hardcore and muscle-tastic, but I kind of love that.  I know that he’s going to push me really hard and that he has the chops to back it up.  He obviously doesn’t cut any corners with his own body and fitness, so I know that he won’t let me cut corners either.

I think some women might be uncomfortable having a male trainer, or at least would prefer a woman, given the choice, but that doesn’t really matter to me.  I could tell within five minutes of meeting Eric that he was just a really nice, good guy.  He didn’t make me feel uncomfortable at all, which is key.

So I guess I’m just curious…

If you were going to work with a personal trainer, what do you think your ideal trainer would be like?  Are you a tough-love person, or do you prefer a gentler approach?  If you’re a woman, would working with a male trainer make you uncomfortable?

1. June 24, 2010 6:32 pm

Breakfast tacos! Awesome idea!!

I don’t work with a trainer but I think I would prefer a woman because it might be more fun, like working out with a girlfriend. Although I love weightlifting with my husband because I like to lift heavy weights and he’s a good spotter. Women are usually not good spotters because they don’t have experience doing it.

Also, I don’t know any women who like to lift heavy and I’d feel a bit awkward if their using the 10lb weights and I’m using the 40lb’ers

2. June 24, 2010 6:34 pm

Hmm I’ve never given it a thought. Probably a guy somewhere in between would be the best personal trainer for me.
    I’ve thought personal training is good career choice since I heard that Sweeden’s princess married hers and now he’s gone from pauper to being in line for the throne

3. June 24, 2010 6:34 pm

Sooo why didn’t you come to Pgh too, to hang out with me?!

• June 24, 2010 6:37 pm

Crap! I didn’t even think about that! I definitely need to come visit you for a girl’s night!

4. June 24, 2010 6:41 pm

String cheese in your taco?! This is the BEST idea ever. MmmmM…I love string cheese.

Oh, and I prefer a female trainer, but given the right situation I would totally be open to a male.

5. June 24, 2010 6:43 pm

I think I’d be a tough love person, but with a slightly softer side 😛
    I think it would depend on the trainer as to whether I’d feel weird; if they were hot, I would!!

6. June 24, 2010 6:50 pm

Glad to hear the creativity juices seem to be flowing again. It’s been a while since I’ve felt the urge to write. The trainer question is interesting. I think I may actually prefer a male once I think about it. It’d have to be the right personality match though as I’m super stubborn. I agree with your trainer about upping the protein. I felt so much more energized once I started increasing my protein and lowering my carbs. And I’m am most definitely not a no-carb gal by any means.

7. June 24, 2010 6:58 pm

I have had quite a few trainers and don’t necessarily have a preference but all have been pretty tough on me….which is good since I don’t really like strength training. I need to be pushed and both males and females can do that! I did sometimes feel like the male was hitting on me though..and called me a lot sooo…yeah…

The female kicked my abs ass…if that makes any sense.

8. June 24, 2010 7:01 pm

I definitely need someone that will push me and yell at me. I go back and forth between thinking about whether I’d want a guy or a girl, sometimes I think a girl because she would know better how to train a girl, but I don’t know!

9. thehungryscholar permalink
    June 24, 2010 7:06 pm

Have you ever seen Heavy Weights? I would want Lars to be my trainer.

Not my boyfriend, but that guy.

10. June 24, 2010 8:43 pm

I’ve never worked with a trainer, but I think I’d like someone tough but still friendly. I also think I’d prefer to work with a woman, although I can’t quite put my finger on why. Another commenter mentioned that it would be like working out with a girlfriend – I can see that!

11. June 24, 2010 8:54 pm

I haven’t ever worked out with a trainer, but I’d like someone who is nice and encouraging, but also keeps me motivated to try harder. Jillian Michaels would make me pee my pants! And a man would really intimidate me… unless he was super nice and understanding.

12. June 24, 2010 9:29 pm

After thinking about it I realize that most of my coaches (and or trainers) have been men and I work really well with someone who pushes me in a respfectful way. I could never deal with someone like Jillian…but I guess I would like a man who pushed me past my own self imposed limits without being a totall asshole. haha!

13. June 24, 2010 10:19 pm

Interesting question, never thought about that. Probably a fit female like Jillian because she’d had more experience with female nutritional needs and muscle gain. But I’m open to a guy trainer too. 🙂

14. greensandjeans permalink
    June 24, 2010 10:22 pm

I like to be pushed, and I think all of my favorite coaches and trainers have been guys! Everyday should start with a healthy dose of LC and the gang

15. June 24, 2010 10:49 pm

Those tacos look amazing! I love that you put entire string cheeses in both them. Yum.

I would definitely be up for a trainer with a bod. If my trainer wasn’t really fit and built, I would think he shouldn’t be training me. Right? It’s like having an overweight RD counseling you on how to lose weight. It just doesn’t make sense! Any pics of Eric, by the way??? hehe

16. Emily permalink
    June 24, 2010 10:52 pm

If I had to chose between Jillian and Bob, I’d go with Bob. Although, my ideal trainer would be Kathy Griffin.
    Please post pictures of the business card!

17. June 25, 2010 12:14 am

If I am paying money, I want a trainer who will be straight w/ me. I can go either with a gentle type OR a balls out type. They have to be committed 110% though. My trainer in Phx was a super mellow guy and Mr Low Key. I dont want to be shouted at and drill seargent’ed at. THat’s not cool. However, I would love to work out w/ some eye candy, either male or female. Why do i want to work on my 8-pack if my trainer is sporting not even a 2-pack? God i would love to actually workout w/ a bodybuilder guy…they are SERIOUS about results…me too!

your comment re 420. Omg can’t find any/dont know who to ask. LMAO.

18. June 25, 2010 9:34 am

LOL, I love the string cheese in the taco shell! Brilliant. 🙂

I wouldn’t work with a personal trainer unless they had extensive nutrition and health knowledge; up-to-date knowledge, especially.

Jenn

19. Ginger permalink
    June 25, 2010 11:55 am

I’ve worked with several different trainers, and have come to know that I like serious, no-nonsense trainers who take the job very seriously. I’ve had both a female and male trainer who, after several sessions, wanted to spend more time visiting and telling me about their personal problems than training. There’s too much time and money involved for that!

20. June 25, 2010 12:59 pm

I prefer mean males. Ha! Really, I want someone that’s going to completely kick my butt, and I’m more inclined to get annoyed and take it personally from a female.