Sunshine for the First Day of Summer

June 21, 2010

Hi friends! Happy first day of summer!

Is it nice and sunny where you are?  It definitely is here.  There’s no doubt that summer has arrived.

As I mentioned yesterday, we joined a new gym on Saturday!  Last year, we went to a gym that was super close to our house called The Building—the name alone should tell you the kind of no frills, ascetic place it was.  The gym had almost no classes and the equipment was very limited—some of it looked like it came straight from a 1950’s wrestler room or something.  It kind of reminded me of the gym that Jerry works out at when he’s being trained by Izzy Mandelbaum:

lb2 Renegade Workouts

“Mandelbaum, Mandelbaum, Mandelbaum!”

Funny on TV.  Not so much in real life.

So, we decided to switch to a nicer gym.  It’s all the way across town, but it takes only about ten minutes to get to when traffic isn’t bad.  It has TONS of classes (including body pump, which I’m super excited about!), a pool, and great weight and cardio machines.  It also has a smoothie bar, which Ryan has already visited twice.  I think he really only goes to the gym because of the smoothies.

Tomorrow, I have a free session with a personal trainer there.  I’m not sure exactly what’s going to go down—they said that I get a “body analysis” (joy), and I guess maybe also some advice on workout routines, etc. I’ll be sure to let you know how it goes!

Moving on…after we hit up the gym this morning (4.5 miles on the t-mill), we ran a few errands and then headed home for lunch.

I enjoyed a new product with lunch:

blog 032

Zico Coconut Water!  I tried coconut water a few years back and did NOT like it (it actually made me gag), but the kind I got was just plain, and when I saw this flavored coconut water in the natural foods store, I couldn’t help but give it a go.  And I’m glad I did—I really like it!  The lime flavor is really refreshing.  I like this 100% better than the plain coconut water.  Just what I need—another product to get hooked on.  And speaking of expensive, addictive food products, lunch also involved:

blog 033

blog 028

Sunshine burgers!!! I don’t care that they’re more expensive…they are totally worth the extra buck, in my opinion.

With my burger, I enjoyed delicious watermelon and half a nectarine.

Summer fruit + Sunshine Burger = perfection.

We’re about to put another coat of paint on the walls…obviously the room isn’t ready yet, but here’s a sneak preview:

blog 034

Orange you glad you aren’t here painting with us in the 90 degree heat?

Dinner tonight centers around a childhood favorite of mine…betcha can’t guess what it is!

See you tonight!

1. June 21, 2010 6:42 pm

I had to laugh that your gym was called “The Building”. There is a gym near me called…wait for it…”Gym”. HA!

I’m digging the orange. 🙂

2. June 21, 2010 7:05 pm

Flavoured coconut water eh? I hated plain coconut water when I had it too, so maybe you’ve done the right thing with the flavour route…hmmm!
    I totally LOLd out loud at that first photo, too funny!

3. June 21, 2010 7:08 pm

Oh I love that color! Good luck with the trainer tonight!

4. June 21, 2010 7:45 pm

I LOVE the orange! I love all bright colors, especially when it comes to paint!

5. greensandjeans permalink
    June 21, 2010 7:46 pm

“orange you glad I didn’t say banana” was the greatest punchline I had ever heard when I was 6. I think I told that joke 5 times a day for at least 4 months

6. June 21, 2010 7:47 pm

I’m not a fan of coconut water but maybe this one would be tasty with the extra flavor!
    I really like the orange room! It looks so sunny!

7. June 21, 2010 7:49 pm

I hope you enjoy the new gym and classes!!! I still need to try Sunshine burgers…

8. June 21, 2010 8:02 pm

If the “Building” had Izzy Mandelbaum training in it, I bet you would have liked it a lot better. Haha. Maybe at your new gym.

9. actorsdiet permalink
    June 21, 2010 8:21 pm

i’ve yet to try coconut water – that will change this summer, once it heats up, i think!

10. June 21, 2010 8:39 pm

haha, i can tell you already (because i used to have to do this) that the body analysis is just a way to get you to visit with a PT so they can do their sales pitch thing to ya 🙂 having a trainer is super helpful though, especially if you don’t know what you’re doing in the gym!

11. June 21, 2010 8:51 pm

Good luck with your personal training session! Unfortunately I think Heather’s right – every time I’ve done one of those it’s turned into a sales pitch to get me to sign up for more sessions. But that doesn’t mean I didn’t get something out of it!

12. June 21, 2010 9:35 pm

The new gyms sounds like it’ll be fun, lol at the old one. Hmmm, maybe I’ll hit up my freezer for a Sunshine burger tonight. 😛

13. Katherine: What About Summer? permalink
    June 21, 2010 9:55 pm

oh sunshine burgers; I have not had one in too long! (thank goodness they’re on sale and I’m going to WFM tomorrow!)

14. thehungryscholar permalink
    June 21, 2010 10:36 pm

I like your plates. You are such a plate baller.

I like the orange. It makes the cold there more bearable?

15. June 21, 2010 11:48 pm

Definitely need to try Sunshine Burgers. I’ve heard lots of good things about them