A Dark and Stormy Night

June 16, 2010

Buon Giorno!  I wonder how you say “hump day” in Italian?  Remind me to ask our concierge.

Last night, after our long day of walking, we were ready for some goooood dinner.  We ended up walking over Ponte Vecchio and finding a small bistro with an outdoor courtyard…perfect!

blog 210

blog 196

The night started out great.  We ordered some house white wine that came in a Serena Van der Woodsen carafe:

blog 189

I wonder if they have a Blair one too?

Then, to start, we ordered some cheese with pears and honey.  Ryan, having never heard of the popular cheese/honey combination, was amazed at this starter.  He kept exclaiming, “This is SO good!!! How did they think of this?!?”  God bless his non-foodie heart.  To be fair, it was quite delicious.

blog 190

For our entrees, Ryan ordered pumpkin ravioli with a meat ragout, while I ordered Florentine-style cannellini beans.

blog 193

At least, that’s what I thought I ordered.  My Italian must need some practice, because I ended up with lasagna.

blog 194

Whatever.  It was delicious and vegetarian, so why make a fuss?  Obviously I’m an equal opportunities eater.  I don’t discriminate.

blog 197

blog 202

I hated it.

When we were about 3/4 through the meal, the sky opened up and it started POURING.  We waited it out for a while, and then when it had slowed down a bit, we finally just decided to make a run for it.  (A long run, being that our hotel was a good half-hour away)

The rain was just a drizzle at first…so we stopped for gelato (surprise!).  But then it picked back up into an all out storm!  You can rain on me, but nobody better rain on my gelato.  Spying a photo booth, we ducked in for some shelter and winded up with four REALLY flattering photos of ourselves.  The perfect souvenir!

Plus one of me with my gelato:

blog 213

Ahhhh, rain.  You make me look so lovely.

This morning, the sky is clear, so we’re doing to do some walking around…I can’t believe it’s our last full day here! This trip is almost over.  Sigh.  I keep hinting to Ryan that a fun Christmas present for me next year would be an Italian villa, but I don’t think he’s picking up on it.

See ya!

1. June 16, 2010 9:49 am

Haha the villa would make a great present! Your pictures truely are lovely! I am actually staying in a villa in Tuscany this July.. we plan on doing day trips but the villa will be the only place we stay. … I am going with my fiance and while family! The villa sleeps 14 of us. I am interested in seeing what it like visiting Italy this way vs the constant moving from hotel to hotel as you travel to the different parts. Have a great day! How coud you not there!

• June 17, 2010 5:10 pm

That sounds awesome!! That will be so much fun!

2. ginger permalink
    June 16, 2010 11:01 am

I can’t believe the trip is almost over! Oh well, the good news is that you only have two weeks until you’re off to Nantucket!! What a life! Enjoy your last day in Florence.

3. June 16, 2010 12:24 pm

Your trip has been absolutely gorgeous! I love all the gelato and cheese and wine and ….everything. Enjoy your last day!

4. June 16, 2010 12:57 pm

Loving the villa idea, maybe you need to spell it out more to him!!! Your ice cream looks huge in the last picture! Hope you enjoy the last day of your trip.

5. June 16, 2010 12:57 pm

You are truly adorable! 🙂

6. June 16, 2010 1:42 pm

Oh pumpkin ravioli sounds divine. Obviously the lasagna was horrid! 😉 Ok, did I mention before that I’ve never tried gelato?????

7. Madeline - Greens and Jeans permalink
    June 16, 2010 3:11 pm

That Serena sure gets around, huh?

8. June 16, 2010 3:17 pm

even dark and stormy nights are better in Europe! pumpkin ravioli? i’d take a bath in that… 😉

9. June 16, 2010 7:57 pm

I am so jealous of your trip! I miss traveling with my husband so badly. Hopefully we will get one in some time in the near future (read…when the kids are out of the house)! Enjoy your last day! Have a safe trip home!

• June 17, 2010 5:08 pm

Yeah, one reason why we took this trip was that all of our friends with kids have been VERY vocal about how we need to travel NOW while we can, ha! 🙂

10. June 17, 2010 7:13 am

cheese with pears and honey and wine….omg swoon. I would un-vegan for that 🙂

xoxo

11. June 17, 2010 2:44 pm

Sooo I really want to take the first photo and have it printed on a canvass- it is stunning! You are really talented Anna!

• June 17, 2010 5:07 pm

Aww, thank you! That’s so sweet! Re: Pretty Woman– I never knew that!!! It’s such a great moment– I’m glad they kept it in!

12. June 17, 2010 5:09 pm

Wow, the pear plate is a work of art! Lol at the lasagna, it must have been meant to be. 🙂 It looks wonderful too. The rain pic is cute, fun memories.