Day Trippers

June 15, 2010

Hello, hello!  Man, my dogs are BARKING…we did a lot of walking today!

Last night, we headed out around 8:00 for a nice dinner…and once we sat down, I realized I had left the telephoto lens on the camera! Boo—no pictures!  I love my telephoto lens, but you have to get pretty far away to get good pictures of things like food, and I wasn’t going to go halfway across the restaurant just to take pictures of my food…I guess even food bloggers have their limits.  🙂

It’s a shame too, because the meal was awesome.  We started with a bottle of Chianti and a salad of very thinly sliced raw artichokes and curls of fresh parmesan.  Then, I enjoyed homemade tagliatelle with truffles, and Ryan had delicious asparagus risotto.  Finally, we wrapped up the meal with tiramisu that was to die for.  Sigh.  T’was a great meal indeed!

After our meal, we walked around again for about an hour, pausing in a piazza to listen to a guitar player.  It was the perfect end to a great evening!

This morning, we woke up to rain…bleh.  But, this was really the first bit of rain we’ve even seen so far on our trip, so I guess we can’t complain too much!

We didn’t have firm plans on what to do today.  We debated trying to do more “indoor” activities, like a museum or something, but in the end we decided that we wanted to be outside, rain or not.  So, we decided to take a pretty long trek to a small town that the guidebook said was about five miles outside of Florence—Fiesole.  The rain was still coming down a bit, but we decided just to risk it and hope that it would get better and not worse!

blog 037

After walking about a mile through town, we started up the long, winding roads outside of Florence.  We got some beautiful views of the city, plus we passed all sorts of beautiful villas on our way to Fiesole.

blog 063

When we started, the skyline was really foggy:

blog 044

blog 072

But soon enough, the rain stopped, and the clouds began to roll away:

blog 060

blog 132

And by the time we were done, the sun had come out completely!

blog 175

It took us about an hour and a half to get to Fiesole.  Once we were there, we had fun exploring the little town.

There were some Roman ruins and an amphitheater, which Ryan was REALLY excited about:

blog 110

The boy does love a good ruin.

We also took a small walk to a really beautiful monastery and got to see some of the cloisters:

blog 152

We got to hear the monks chanting, which was very cool.

Finally, around 1:00, we broke for lunch.  Pizza was the name of the game—one vegetarian, and one Napoli (capers, tomatoes, and anchovies):

blog 168

blog 169

Mmmmm…this was the perfect way to refuel after our busy morning!

After relaxing at our table for a while, we knew it was time to walk back down to Florence.  At least this time it was going to be downhill!

This time, the walk back was sunny and bright:

blog 177

We got back around 4:00, and now we’re relaxing at the hotel.  Not sure what’s on the agenda for tonight, but I’m sure it will include a delicious dinner…I’ll be sure to bring the right lens this time!

Hope you’re having a good one!

1. thehungryscholar permalink
    June 15, 2010 4:07 pm

I like your striped shirt.

I think I might make pizza tonight because of this post; one less decision I have to make today. Score!

2. Katherine: What About Summer? permalink
    June 15, 2010 5:19 pm

looks like great weather for such a fun day! enjoy it all
    Katherine

3. June 15, 2010 7:01 pm

I spent time in Florence but never thought to go outside of the city limits. Smart idea. It clearly paid off

4. June 15, 2010 7:25 pm

I think 1 day of rain for a long trip is awesome. I would have wanted to be outside too I do believe. Glad it cleared up for you in the end. Loving all the pictures.

5. June 15, 2010 7:39 pm

i am LOVING these posts! keep ’em comin!

6. June 15, 2010 8:23 pm

It sounds like you’ve walked miles today! I love the fact that your husband gets so excited about ruins – each to their own! Shame about the wrong lens on the camera, your dinner does sound delicious. Great pics of the pizzas though, nothing beats an authentic Italian pizza.

7. ginger permalink
    June 15, 2010 9:24 pm

Welcome back to Italy! We went to Fiesole when we were there – the views of Florence are breathtaking (and the chanting monks – doesn’t get much better!) Enjoy the last days of your trip.

8. June 15, 2010 9:37 pm

I have been seriously craving pizza, and you just made that craving twice as bad haha. You got some incredible pictures in Florence!

9. June 16, 2010 12:19 am

I’m glad you’re putting so much work into your blog posts since you’ll have these forever. The pictures are so wonderful and I cannot believe you are STILL away. Amazing.

10. June 16, 2010 1:42 am

Now THAT looks like real Italian pizza!! Yum.
    I just read a book called The Monster of Florence. Have you heard about that story? It was really interesting and I learned a lot about Florence. I am sre if you ask anyone about it they will know. I suggest the book.
    Glad you’re having a great time!

11. June 16, 2010 3:52 am

oh thos rbings back so many fond memories! LOVE all your pics 🙂

12. June 16, 2010 7:18 am

Your photos make me miss Firenze!! When we were there we went on a lovely run and accidentally stumbled upon a neighbour village as well. It was fantastic. There were tons of olive trees, I guess you saw them too ;).
    I’m a fan of ruins too 😉

13. June 16, 2010 1:29 pm

It looks like you are having an amazing trip! I love Fiesole– and your top!! I’m very jealous!

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

14. June 17, 2010 5:03 pm

Aw, great pics and awesome that you still had a great time despite the rain. The food looks wonderful, so jealous!

Trackbacks