Firenze!

June 14, 2010

Hello once again from Italy! Croatia was wonderful, but I have to admit, I’m excited to be back in Italy again.  Mainly because Italy = Gelato:

blog 082

Ahhh, the perfect welcome back.  Please ignore my travel-weary eyes.  And the fact that eating gelato twice a day is obviously starting to set in.  It’s fine.  I’ll do the Master Cleanse when I get back.

Anyway.

Yesterday, we hung around Split and ate a late lunch before ferrying across the sea back to Italy.  We really lucked out at lunch—we found this great juice bar off the beaten path in Split!

We got two salads to share:

Couscous salad:

blog 003

And pesto pasta salad with olives and sunflower seeds:

blog 002

Yum!  Along with the salads, we shared a piece of banana bread, and I got a small juice with orange juice and ginger.  Perfection.

Our ferry ride was uneventful…we played a lot of cards, and before we knew it, we were back on Italian soil in Ancona, Italy!  Our hotel was close to the ferry dock, so we made our way there and quickly hit the hay.

This morning, we headed over to the train station and boarded our train to Florence.  We had an hour-long stop-over in Bologna, so we grabbed some lunch:

blog 014

blog 015

And then got back on the train…we were in Florence by 2:00!

It took us FOREVER to find our hotel, even though we were within about five blocks of it the entire time we were searching.  Grrr….another Clark Griswold moment.

After finally arriving at our hotel, we set our bags down and immediately hit the streets to do some exploring!

I visited Florence once when I was a junior in high school. It was a great trip, although it did lead to my (and many others’) suspension from high school for a couple of days.  Ahhh, memories.  It’s a long story—some other time!

Anywho, needless to say, that trip was a bit of a blur, so it’s nice to be back! We had a great time soaking up the sites:

blog 022

blog 026

blog 075

And of course, the food:

blog 065

blog 067

blog 069

blog 070

And now we’re relaxing in our hotel room!  I’m in the middle of Pet Sematary, and it is SO good.  Makes me glad we don’t have a cat.

We’re going to relax and then head out for dinner in a few hours.  Hope your week is off to a great start!

Ciao bene!

1. patti permalink
    June 14, 2010 5:48 pm

I am really enjoying reading about your adventures. Now we are finding out about your checkered past……. Have fun in Florence

2. June 14, 2010 5:58 pm

That first picture of you is just gorgeous! 🙂

3. June 14, 2010 6:01 pm

Love Florence! Get an extra gelato for me 😉

4. June 14, 2010 7:01 pm

Everything looks delicious! And I love Florence. You walk the whole town

5. June 14, 2010 7:25 pm

You look so healthy and vibrant- gorgeous photo! Thank you for sharing all of these amazing pictures of your trip… those cannolis are making me drool!

6. June 14, 2010 7:26 pm

Those salads both sound great. They would be perfect for the summer weather we’re having here (100 degrees). Glad you’re having such a great vacation!

7. June 14, 2010 8:15 pm

I love keeping up with your adventures – thanks for posting about them whilst travelling. Florence looks beautiful, I hope you have a great time there.

8. June 14, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi Anna,
    I have been following your blog for awhile and it is one of my favorites – so well written and witty. You simply must blog every detail of Florence as I will be visiting in a month and have no idea what to expect (except for the tasty gelato, of course). I hope the remainder of your vacation is wonderful and your return travels are safe.

• June 15, 2010 3:15 pm

Thank you for reading!! you’re going to have a GREAT time! I’m already jealous, ha!

• June 17, 2010 5:27 pm

That is so sweet! Thank you for reading!!

• June 17, 2010 5:27 pm

Oh, and your trip is going to be WONDERFUL! We’ve had the best time!

9. June 14, 2010 9:53 pm

Hi Anna,

Your making me can’t wait to go back to Italy in July! When I was there two summers ago I swear I gained 7 pounds of gelato.. haha but it was worth every single bite! I left a comment under my last comment with the name of the restaurant you need to go to in Florence! It was the best place we ate in Florence and is a favorite among the locals 😉

10. thehungryscholar permalink
    June 14, 2010 10:17 pm

I love gelato, and I’m sure it is better there. Yum!

I really love your pictures of the food.

11. June 14, 2010 11:40 pm

You are just glowing! I am so happy for you guys being on a trip like that! I love all of your pictures!

12. June 15, 2010 1:35 am

GORGEOUS! I’ve heard Florence is REALLY hard to navigate. My hubby DROVE to Florence and said it took him 6 HOURS to find parking. Needless to say, Florence left a bad taste in his mouth 🙂 Enjoy some gelato for me…man, do I miss it!!

• June 15, 2010 3:14 pm

I can’t even imagine!!! We were just talking about how glad we are that we dropped off our rental car before heading to Florence– I think we would have gotten ourselves killed!!

13. louisianagrown permalink
    June 15, 2010 1:37 am

You totally have a vacation glow and I don’t think it’s from the gelato. 🙂

14. Madeline - Greens and Jeans permalink
    June 15, 2010 4:26 am

You don’t like tired, you look SO happy! Of course, you have Italian gelatto in your hand, so that’s to be expected

15. June 15, 2010 5:31 am

Firenze! Oh how I miss theee. Have an amazing time in this wonderful city!

16. June 15, 2010 6:51 am

you guys are having the trip of a lifetime…wow!!!

17. June 15, 2010 8:17 am

I love firenze…more than roma actually. Can’t wait to see more!

18. June 15, 2010 11:35 am

Gelato in florence is the best! So glad you’re having a great time!

19. June 15, 2010 11:54 am

Enjoy every bite, lick, and swallow! You’re on vacation….calories don’t count! right?!

20. Emily permalink
    June 15, 2010 12:35 pm

I love your necklace! Forgive me for commenting on fashion on a food blog, but you’ve done an amazing job of traveling with stylish clothes. Can you teach me? Seriously.
    Enjoy the last leg of your vacation!

• June 15, 2010 3:16 pm

Thank you! I got it in Split! It was going to be a gift for my mom or my sister, but I decided I liked it too much, ha! 🙂

21. June 15, 2010 1:35 pm

Gorgeous pictures! I loved that book…it totally freaked me out! haha!

22. June 15, 2010 10:13 pm

Gelato twice a day sounds just about right- it’s your vacation, so enjoy it!! Florence is such a beautiful city, I haven’t been there in a few years but your pictures take me right back- breathtaking! Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip 🙂

23. June 17, 2010 4:58 pm

Yum, the gelato looks awesome and you gotta get your fix while you’re there! 🙂 Beautiful pics and the amazing food is making me hungry.