Having a Ball in Bol

June 12, 2010

Hello, hello! Sorry for the lack of posting yesterday, but we were busy:

blog 027

Bahaha! I kid, I kid! No nude beach for us (although there were still several nudists on the regular beach, so I’m not really sure why they need to have a nude beach as well).  Anyway, you know I hate to support a place that doesn’t allow dogs!

Yesterday, we took a short ferry ride to the island of Brac, and then drove our car out to the city of Bol, which is known for its beautiful beaches.  We weren’t disappointed!

The ride to the beach gave us some awesome views of the island:

blog 030

blog 058

blog 063

The water is SO blue here!  The beach on Bol tapers out to a tiny point in the water:

blog 007

We were a little worried that the beach was going to be packed, because it’s supposed to be one of the most popular beaches to go to, but it was pleasantly uncrowded!

blog 009

We ate a big breakfast at the hotel, so instead of eating a big lunch, I got some fresh fruit at a fruit stand (x2):

blog 021

Yum!  This lunch was perfectly refreshing.

On our way back to the ferry, we got a little turned around, which resulted in us finding this beautiful church, right on the water:

blog 043

blog 033

So pretty!

While we waited for the ferry, we enjoyed a beer on the beach:

blog 075

blog 074

Ha…we’re both starting to look a little travel-weary, no?

We couldn’t stop watching these little kids, who were playing some sort of game on a nearby dock:

blog 076

blog 079

We got back to the hotel around 7, then hurried up and showered for dinner—after having only fruit for lunch, I was starving!

Confession: tonight, I did not eat vegetarian.

We went to a traditional Croatian restaurant recommended by our guidebook, and, much to my chagrin (but not necessarily surprise), there was not a vegetarian meal to be seen.  I’m sure I could have asked for plain pasta or something, but you know—I’m in Croatia, and I want to eat the local food…and the local food is seafood!  I’ve been a little looser about my vegetarian diet since we’ve been traveling—trying a bite of fish here, a mussel there.  Honestly, seafood is such a part of the culture in Croatia, I think it would be a shame not to enjoy a little while we’re here.  I’ve been able to keep my meals vegetarian 95% of the time, and you know what?  That number might go down even further when we’re in Florence, but that’s alright with me.  Things will go back to normal when we get back home, but for now, I’m happy sampling the local cuisine and really immersing myself in the culture of the countries we’ve decided to visit—food and all!  I’m just not going to beat myself up about it!

Whew! Okay, so on to the food!

Last night, I ordered a black cuttlefish risotto that was AWESOME.  Period.

blog 093

So, so good.  Ryan got pasta with mussels, which I tasted as well:

blog 095

and we started with a plate of local sheep’s cheese and fresh-baked rolls:

blog 091

blog 092

Yum!!! This meal was SO good.  I definitely had a food baby after we finished, because we ate EVERYTHING!

Our plan today is to go to the tiny town of Trogir…pictures are sure to follow!

I hope your weekend is off to a great start!

So, what do you think?  Is it okay that I’m being a more lenient vegetarian on this trip, or do you think it’s a cop-out?  What would you do in this situation?

1. June 12, 2010 10:04 am

So many gorgeous photos! I think you’re doing the right thing by eating a bit of fish; it’s all part of the culture, and I think you’re right to enjoy it a bit. What’s the point in going all that way to exeprience a new country, if you miss out on half the traditions and just eat plain pasta!? You know you haven’t changed your morals and you’ll be back being a veggie when you’re home, as you said. I say enjoy yourself and keep going as you are!

2. June 12, 2010 11:30 am

Have a blast! Don’t worry about sticking to ‘rules’!
    I’m a fairly lenient vegetarian most of the time (last night I shared food with people and just picked out the chicken). For me, it’s about reducing meat consumption for environmental reasons not necessarily because of the concept of eating animals.

I say enjoy your time and eat new things 🙂
    Great photos as usual!

3. June 12, 2010 11:31 am

The beaches are so beautiful!

Girl, I believe in eating what you want when you want. There is never any reason to put a label on anything! I think you should eat whatever you want. Enjoy and live it up!

4. June 12, 2010 12:44 pm

It depends on your reasons for being vegetarian, and how YOU feel about it afterwards. Don’t worry about what everyone else thinks!

Easy for me to say. I always feel like people are going to criticize me for saying one thing, and eating another. It’s hard to fit into a specific label!

5. Emily permalink
    June 12, 2010 1:09 pm

Jon wants to compliment Ryan on sliding into scruffy bohemian-ism!
    Don’t stress over eating some fish if you want some fish! I think, for myself, I would be disapointed about not trying local cuisine — and it sounds like the fish you’re eating is local and fresh, not farm-raised or a product of over-fishing.
    How is the wine? I had no idea Croatia was wine country!

6. June 12, 2010 1:36 pm

With all of these gorgeous places & good meals you’re probably never going to want to come home!! I sure wouldn’t! 🙂

7. June 12, 2010 1:48 pm

Honestly, I am SO proud of you! I know that eating vegertarian is important to you but I think it is healthy that you stepped out of your personal food rules and enjoyed another culture. I don’t think you did anything wrong at all. I think you simply allowed yourself to enjoy, experience and embrace another culture. You are still tops in my book, girl!

8. ginger permalink
    June 12, 2010 1:56 pm

Absolutely, I think you should eat the local food – fish and all! I think you would regret it if you went all the way over there and missed out on such an important part of their culture. I’m proud that you allow yourself to be flexible! (Did you really go to the nude beach and you’re just not telling us???)

9. June 12, 2010 2:59 pm

oh my gosh this is SO COOL!!!!!!! I love this!! girl- you only get to do this once.. GO BIG OR GO HOME! i think that is totally okay- id be mad if you didnt!!

10. June 12, 2010 3:08 pm

I think you are doing the right thing!!! Trying the local food and experiencing *travel life*…very important!! What fun would it be to eat the same as you do all the time at home 🙂 Now you can say..yea..I lived it!

11. highonhealthy permalink
    June 12, 2010 3:20 pm

I think it’s perfectly fine that you’re letting the whole vegetarian thing slide a little while on the trip. If it were me I would do the same thing and let myself have some seafood instead of bothering the chefs. Besides, how often do you get to go to another country? Not very often! So enjoy everything – even the food. 😉

12. June 12, 2010 7:00 pm

I am so jealous of your travels! I thought you looked so happy in that picture, not tired at all! You are radiant! Ok, food…I think you are more than ok to experience the place you are. That is a huge thing for me! I don’t eat meat for personal reasons however, I cook it for my family. Food is definitely a cultural experience and sometimes, when in Rome… Don’t beat yourself up over it. People eat what they eat out of needing nourishment and sometimes when veggies are scarce, meat is the next thing you go to. Enjoy your trip and thank you for sharing!

13. greensandjeans permalink
    June 12, 2010 7:02 pm

I think you are enjoying a fabulous vacation with your husband and you should enjoy every minute and every bite! You don’t want to regret it later!

14. June 12, 2010 8:09 pm

Your food looks fab, especially the black risotto, I’ve never seen that before. I think that it’s ok not to eat veggie 100% of the time if there is no veggie option, like today. You don’t want to starve! It’s quite bad that there wasn’t a veggie option as restaurants should cater for all people. Don’t think it’s a cop-out please. As you say, you do eat veggie 95% of the time and if you truly believe in a veggie diet then you will always seek out the best option. Sometimes its not always possible.

15. June 12, 2010 10:18 pm

What gorgeous scenery! Definitely a place to visit

16. June 12, 2010 11:19 pm

It sounds like you are having a great vacation. You should be enjoying your time away and NOT fretting about what people might think about the food you are eating. Also remember that when you are in foreign sea countries, it is very likely that the fish is very fresh!! I also think that when traveling people should enjoy the food of the area. You do not want to be like the man in the news that ate McDonalds in every country he went to because he was worried that he might get sick from foods of different countries.

17. June 12, 2010 11:34 pm

Absolutely gorgeous pics!!!! So jealous. As for the vegetarian eating, in my opinion, it is your personal choice. I have not eaten meat in 17 years. I would have opted for bread if I would have had to, but that’s me, that’s a personal choice. I don’t think you should feel bad for your decisions. If someone decides to judge you, then phooey on them in my opinion. I don’t judge meat eaters (well, maybe a wee bit), but I don’t think we should be so judgmental towards one another….anyhoo…so glad you’re having a great time.

18. June 13, 2010 2:42 am

I would have eaten what I wanted, if you can live with your choices, then my gosh, do as you see fit! I ate salmon while pregnant and early days of nursing. Now, no way. Before that, no. At that time, it was right. Kinda like being on a spectacular vacay, you can live in the moment. I have utmost compassion for animals and also dont believe we “need” to eat them either but sometimes, well, when in Rome…

xoxo

🙂

19. June 13, 2010 3:04 am

Relax and enjoy the food. Don’t worry about what others might think.

20. June 13, 2010 4:06 am

Lol, you don’t need to apologize for not posting while on vacation! 😛 Though I admire your dedication. 🙂 No need to worry about your diet, you’re on vacation and it’s hard when traveling to stick to a strict diet. There are times I end up eating vegetarian instead of vegan when out and I don’t worry about it.

21. June 13, 2010 12:49 pm

This looks so incredible. All of your pictures are so beautiful!! While I don’t eat meat, I do eat fish occasionally, and I’ve found that it’s much easier to eat out that way. You should do whatever feels right to you when it comes to diet- don’t worry about the label or what others think. It’s your body, your diet, and your happiness, and if fish is a part of that, then enjoy!

22. actorsdiet permalink
    June 13, 2010 2:38 pm

i think it’s fine to be lenient about your dietary practices when you travel – that’s part of what it’s all about! i wish my husband could be the same way but he’s been a vegetarian since he was 12 and i think he would get very ill….

23. June 13, 2010 4:17 pm

I would not worry about what anyone else thought . . . as long as you’re okay with it and you’re having fun!

24. June 13, 2010 7:17 pm

I would probably do the same thing. In fact, I’m kind of planning on eating fish when I’m on my honeymoon in Hawaii.

25. June 13, 2010 11:55 pm

Your pictures are amazing! Whenever I travel I always try and eat what the culture has to offer even if I don’t normally eat it on a daily basis. So I think it is perfectly fine to enjoy the fish! Florence is amazing!!! I was there two summers ago and I actually went to two really good slow movement food restaurants there that I can definately recommend if you would like.

Cassie

26. June 14, 2010 9:50 pm

Ok if you are there you need to try this restaurant! It is a slow movement family-owned restaurant where a grandmother does most of the cooking but it is the best food I tasted in Florence. The name of the restaurant is Hosteria del Bricco and the street it’s on is Via San Niccolo. Careful the menu is hand-written haha so it might take deciphering but it is totally emerging yourself into the culture. They had the best pasta! And they are closed on Mondays 😉

27. Anon permalink
    June 16, 2010 7:17 pm

One of the reasons I’m a vegetarian is b/c of the horrid conditions under which meat is produced for sale in the US — both cruel and dirty. I’ve found that those reasons frequently don’t exist abroad — maybe a lack of research on my part, but factory farming seems to be a primarily American phenomenon. So I, like you, also eat some meat abroad (seafood allergy precludes that option). My husband’s family is Italian — southern Italian to be specific, and serving meat to guests is extremely important culturally, signfying wealth and generosity. They don’t understand my choice to be a vegetarian (despite the fact that I speak Italian well and have attempted to explain). But one large reason why they don’t get it is because the rabbit or chicken they serve at a meal was raised in their backyard and killed that day, living and dying under humane conditions (to the extent any killing of an animla can be humane). Meat is far from prominent on their plates (to eat it daily, they’d have to have a big farm or something, and this is just a regular house with some animal coops and lots of garden/orchard space), so I try to just enjoy it, savor the taste and heartily eat the vegetarian accompaniments. The good thing is that I don’t have some of the same antibiotic/hormone fears that will keep me vegetarian in the US b/c they never use any of that on their animals. Enjoy! And enjoy it all!