Greetings from Split!

June 10, 2010

Another day, another Croatian city!  This morning, we left Plitvice Lakes and headed south for Split.  Our ride was nice and easy—thank goodness!  After our GPS disaster on the way to Plitvice, we wanted a straightforward drive—and that’s what we got!

We pulled into our hotel, which is right on the beach—lovely! We decided to head out and explore the town, hoping to find some lunch.  What we found was a vegetarian paradise!

About five minutes from our hotel, we stumbled upon this restaurant:

blog 004

So, so good! Seriously, this restaurant is a gem! They only prepare one lunch meal a day, so upon being seated, we were given the daily plate:

blog 001

Our lunch plate included a cheese crepe with local cheeses, some veggie casserole of sorts, greens, a picante red pepper sauce, lentils, and brown rice with pepita seeds.  So freakin’ good! I only wish we had a vegetarian restaurant like this in Altoona!

We were STUFFED after this lunch—we’d been hoping for a simple sandwich, and got a vegetarian feast instead! It was time to do some walking around.

We walked over to one of Split’s most famous landmarks, The Palace of Diocletian.  The palace is really pretty—lots of ruins, combined with modern businesses and souvenir shops.  It’s an interesting blend of history and commerce.

blog 007

blog 010

Worst summer job ever:

blog 036

Poor bastards.

After exploring the palace and getting some great views from the bell tower:

blog 097

blog 074

blog 063

…we continued to walk for a few more hours, taking in the local beach scene and the beauty of Split:

blog 112

Around 5:00, we headed back to the hotel where I promptly fell asleep for about an hour.  Croatia is great, but it is HOT.  The heat really wipes me out by the end of the afternoon.  A little siesta was just what I needed!

For dinner tonight, we headed to a Mexican restaurant that came recommended by our guidebook as a non-Croatian restaurant that’s vegetarian-friendly.  Having gotten a little tired of the typical European fare we’ve been eating, it sounded perfect!

The name of the restaurant was the Black Cat Bistro, and it lived up to its name—this guy was wandering around during dinner:

blogg 003

Okay, gray cat, but close enough!

I got a delicious grilled vegetable quesadilla:

blogg 004

blogg 005

blogg 006

Yum!  Not too shabby, especially for Mexican food in Croatia!

Of course, we ended the night with ice cream—my flavor?  Kinder Bueno.

blogg 008

Mmmm…bueno indeed.

Tomorrow we’re taking a ferry to one of the nearby islands.  Lots of beach pictures to follow!

Goodnight!

1. June 10, 2010 9:03 pm

I love that the restaurant only serves one dish. It’s like visiting someone’s home!

2. thehungryscholar permalink
    June 10, 2010 9:12 pm

The restaurant only serves one dish? I take forever to order, so that may better for me.

I think you should get Ryan one of those gladiator/whatever costumes.

3. June 10, 2010 10:03 pm

I LOVE SPLIT! I went in college when I was traveling. Croatia is seriously one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been (we also went to Zagreb and Dubrovnik). Have a BLAST!

4. June 10, 2010 10:13 pm

What a great idea for a restaurant: one dish family style.
    And I don’t care what you say. I WANT that job! Lol

5. June 10, 2010 10:15 pm

Men in skirts? I’m sure they’re thrilled!

6. June 10, 2010 10:23 pm

The picture of you in the bell tower is great! I love it!

7. June 10, 2010 11:05 pm

Oh hello – love a restaurant with “vegetarian” on the sign! Love the pictures. So happy you’re having great trip!!!!

8. June 10, 2010 11:39 pm

seriously this is the best trip ive never taken, that is, loooking at all your gorg photos!!!

xo

9. Katherine: What About Summer? permalink
    June 11, 2010 1:43 am

darn wordpress for deleting my comment! summary of what it was: your trip looks awesome

10. June 11, 2010 3:29 am

I can’t for the island pictures, you are having such an amazing trip!

11. Madeline - Greens and Jeans permalink
    June 11, 2010 4:27 am

Kinder bueno? Did it taste anything like a kinder egg???

12. June 11, 2010 6:37 am

I used to love Kinder Bueno choc bars while studying abroad…but ice cream…yum!

sounds and looks like another great city!

13. June 11, 2010 9:31 am

LOL at the guys all dressed up! When I was in Rome, they had loads of pro ‘gladiator’ people like that – except these ones were fat, old and ugly 😦 I think you saw the better ones!!

14. June 11, 2010 10:16 am

When you said that the restaurant only makes one lunch each day I thought that their choice would be a bit dodgy but it looks delicious, especially the cheese crepe! Croatia looks very hot indeed, no wonder you needed a siesta!!

15. June 11, 2010 1:38 pm

What yummy food! Ha ha. I love that foreign restaurants have cats wandering around. It was like that in Italy and in Aruba.

I bet those guys like strutting around in those outfits 🙂

What beautiful views!

16. June 11, 2010 3:12 pm

Absolutely beautiful! What a trip! I love walking around new cities! Your dinner looks delicious and the ice cream…perfect ending!

17. June 11, 2010 4:21 pm

Ahh, such beautiful photos! I am going on a trip with my girlfriends in Feb and we are toying with Greece or Croatia… your posts are making me lean towards the latter!

18. June 11, 2010 4:28 pm

Yummy looking food.

19. June 11, 2010 6:46 pm

It looks like you are having an amazing time, Anna! OMG, I’m so jealous!

20. June 11, 2010 8:56 pm

I never actually thought about going to Croatia but after reading your posts I’m intrigued! People have often said that it’s a gorgeous country but I’ve never been interested enough to actually go and visit it.
    It looks amazing though and it’s definitely on my list of places that I must visit. 😉

That vegetarian restaurant looks amazing. I love it when they change the menu daily!

21. June 11, 2010 11:17 pm

Wow, I wanna go to that restaurant!

Agreed, worst summer job ever! That one guys feet look like they’re in pain.

Again, amazing pics and it looks like such a wonderful trip so far. Thanks for sharing!

22. June 12, 2010 3:05 pm

Thats awesome that the restuarant serves one dish for lunch! It would be very tasty I would imagine 🙂 Your dinner+icecream looks great too! Sounds like a good day!