Plitvice Lakes, Part II (Also—Happy Birthday Ryan!!!)

June 9, 2010

Hello, hello!

I thought after our hike yesterday, we might have seen all that Plitvice Lakes had to offer, but boy was I wrong! Our hikes today just blew us away!  Today is also Ryan’s 30th birthday, so he said a day hiking around these magnificent lakes was the perfect gift (a good thing, because I couldn’t fit a real gift into my suitcase…oops.).

Yesterday, we explored the upper lakes, so today we headed for the lower lakes.  These lakes have HUGE waterfalls and beautiful aqua water.  We spent the entire day just saying, “Wow…” over and over again.

Here are some highlights:

blog 092

blog 027

blog 043

blog 095

blog 059

blog 040

So, so pretty.

After our day of hiking, we headed back to the hotel around 4:00 and got a little work done.

Please let me always blog like this…:

blog 181

…with a beautiful view and a beer.

The birthday boy had beer too, along with some reading about Cicero…nerd alert!

blog 182

Around 6:00, we headed out for another walk—it stays light really late here.  The sun hasn’t been going down until about 8:45, which makes it great for some early evening activity!  On our second walk, we saw all kinds of fun wildlife:

blog 135

blog 130

blog 192

I have no clue what kind of bird this was, but he sure was beautiful.  Mom—any ideas?  (My mom fancies herself a birder)

*     *     *

Finally, around 7:45, we headed out for dinner.  Truth be told, restaurants have been pretty sparse around here.  The food hasn’t been the greatest, but hey—that’s not why we’re here.  We’re making due with what we have for now…and looking forward to Florence!

Our restaurant had an interesting Native American theme going on:

blog 205

Something tells me whatever is written on this placemat might not be politically correct, but it’s in Croatian, so we just won’t worry about that now.

I started with a salad that was actually really tasty.  I love a good slaw:

blog 206

Plus Croatian Beer:

blog 203

For my main course, I had this mushroom + pasta dish that had me feeling like I was preparing for Michael Scott’s Dunder-Mifflin Scranton Meredith Palmer Memorial Celebrity Rabies Awareness Fun Run Race for the Cure:

blog 209

I guess I need to run a half-marathon tomorrow, because this was carbo-loading at its finest.

Tomorrow, we leave the lakes region and head even further south to Split.  See you when we get there!

1. June 9, 2010 7:59 pm

What stunning views and a great way for your husband to spend his birthday. It’s a shame that the food isn’t brilliant but as you say that isn’t why you are there. I hope you have a great day today.

2. June 9, 2010 8:06 pm

Oh wow, how beautiful! Enjoy the rest of your traveling! 🙂

3. June 9, 2010 8:29 pm

Happy Birthday to Ryan, sounds like a great way to spend it to me too! 🙂 Love that picture of you blogging, such a beautiful view! The pasta dish looks good and, again, thanks for the amazing pics.

4. June 9, 2010 8:32 pm

Wow! What beautiful sights! I love how fresh and green everything looks! And the waterfall 🙂

I love pasta and that just looks amazing!
    Don’t worry about running a 1/2 carb load anyway!!

5. June 9, 2010 8:40 pm

Beautiful, beautiful photos! Happy birthday to the hubs 😀 Love the office shoutout. I can’t wait to see what Florence brings you!

6. June 9, 2010 8:51 pm

Cicero?! He was a tool, but he’s part of my major so I have newfound respect for Ryan. Also, happy birthday!

7. June 9, 2010 9:02 pm

Looks like you are having a lovely time. Don’t worry about carbo loading, carbs keep me happy and we want a happy traveler!

8. ginger permalink
    June 9, 2010 9:22 pm

Several things: First, the bird is a blue-winged Croatian wood thrush. Second, happy birthday to Ryan (and please, Ryan, keep the beard – it looks great on you!) Third, that is one gorgeous place!!! Finally, I really don’t know what kind of bird that is, but I wish I did : ) I almost forgot to tell you – the end of Glee last night was amazingly like the end of your wedding. I’ll just let you ponder that as you’re hiking through Croatia!

9. Nicole permalink
    June 9, 2010 10:36 pm

I LOVE the beard!!!!!

10. June 9, 2010 11:15 pm

Lovely pictures! LOL @ running a half marathon, I think I carb load on a daily basis. That pasta with mushrooms looks amazing. 🙂

Jenn

11. June 10, 2010 12:02 am

So pretty!! Happy birthday to Ryan! 🙂

12. Kristi permalink
    June 10, 2010 12:05 am

Gorgeous. Happy Birthday, Ryan! You look as good in a beard as your dad. Enjoy!

13. June 10, 2010 12:29 am

Wow, what a perfect way to spend Ryan’s birthday!! Croatia is absolutely gorgeous, I never realized how beautiful it is! Hope you enjoy the rest of your adventures there!

14. June 10, 2010 12:41 am

I am gong to join you…OH WOW! That looks awesome! Happy Birthday to Ryan!!! 🙂

15. thehungryscholar permalink
    June 10, 2010 1:04 am

Ryan is a huge nerd, and I’m glad it continues on vacation time. Maybe he could do a guest post where he does a rhetorical analysis of that place mat.

Looks like you had a lot of fun. And that pasta is hardcore.

16. June 10, 2010 1:14 am

Happy Birthday to Ryan! Those pictures are so beautiful.

17. June 10, 2010 2:28 am

Happy Birthday Ryan! What a beautiful place! It looks like the vacation is treating you well! Enjoy the birthday!

18. Madeline - Greens and Jeans permalink
    June 10, 2010 4:19 am

Now THAT is the best way to spend a birthday! Happy Birthday Ryan!

19. cassidy golden grahame permalink
    June 10, 2010 4:37 am

Happy birthday Ryan! We’ve had some phun times!

20. June 10, 2010 7:51 am

What a wonderful way to celebrate a birthday. I still can’t get over how gorgeous Croatia is.

21. June 10, 2010 11:22 am

These pictures are fantastic. Thanks for posting them! I can at least pretend I am there with you guys 🙂
    I hope Ryan had a nice B-day, I can’t imagine a better place to be on a 30th birthday!! Wow. Definitely a great gift.
    Enjoy Split today!! Even though I’m not quite sure that that is….. 🙂

22. Katherine: What About Summer? permalink
    June 10, 2010 5:39 pm

My grandparents are bird-watchers but I know nothing other than pretty v. ugly and loud v. quiet. The ones you saw (along with the sights) are gorgeous! Happy belated birthday
    Katherine

23. June 10, 2010 7:48 pm

hahaha i spent your whole post going “wow, wow, wow” too! seriously i don’t blame you for going for round 2 on the hike! especially to get gawjy pictures like those 🙂

24. June 11, 2010 1:39 pm

I love the animal pics! I wish I was a birder 🙂

25. June 12, 2010 3:02 pm

Beautiful pictures!

Trackbacks

1. Travel and Packing Tips « Newlywed, Newly Veg!