Second Try, Very Tasty

June 4, 2010

Buon Giorno! (Are you going to get sick of me greeting you in Italian in each post?  Probably.  Do I care?  Probably not.  🙂 )

Last night, after resting up for a while in our hotel, we headed out into a lovely Venice evening.  The weather here has been spectacular—warm, sunny, and breezy!

We had our eyes set on a restaurant from our guidebook that is supposed to specialize in…vegetarian Italian cuisine!  For about half an hour, we made our way through the winding streets of Venice, crossing canals and getting turned around more than once.  Finally, we found our destination…and discovered that it was already packed for the night! I guess that’s a good sign though…so we made reservations for tonight!

After our first unsuccessful restaurant attempt, we decided to just go with a restaurant down the street.  It looked good, there were tables outside, and we were starving.  Perfecto!

One of the things that I love about traveling is that the most random, unplanned for restaurant can turn out to be absolutely ammmmmmazing.  And this one was.

We started with vino, of course:

blog 013

That’ll help the jet lag.

As for food, we began with a small plate of fried zucchini blossoms:

blog 014

blog 015

These were so, so good. They were fried, but also very light.  These were my favorite part of the meal.

For entrees, I went with pasta: spinach and ricotta stuffed pasta in a butter sage sauce.

blog 018

blog 022

My pasta was perfect! Simple and delicious.  Again, even though these were in a sauce of basically clarified butter, they were very light and not at all heavy.

Ryan ordered the fish.

And he definitely got…the fish:

blog 016

Sea bass!

We ended the night with…what else?  Gelato.  Obviously I’m going to have to do one big gelato post when this trip is over, as it appears that I will be eating it twice (perhaps even three times?) a day.  No biggie.

blog 027

We’re still lounging in bed…today, we’re going to explore some of the markets around the city, venture over to Jewish Ghetto, and hopefully fit a gondola ride in somewhere!

Hope you’re having a great Friday! Ciao!

1. June 4, 2010 11:14 am

Walking around crossing canals sounds so magical! Enjoy your vacay and eat lots of gelato for me!

2. June 4, 2010 12:13 pm

I’ve been wanting to try zucchini blossoms since reading about them in a book about Spain last year. Everything looks SO good. Ahhhh Italy! ❤

3. June 4, 2010 12:20 pm

So jealous! I love venice 🙂

4. June 4, 2010 12:39 pm

So jealous of your amazing travels! How fabulous! Have a pistachio gelato for me 🙂

5. June 4, 2010 1:56 pm

I love Venice! I first tried gnocchi there. Have an amazing time!

6. June 4, 2010 2:08 pm

Sounds like a blast!!! I have never been to Venice but everyone who I know that has loves it! 🙂

7. June 4, 2010 2:43 pm

I love finding a hidden gems when we are travelling. Sometimes the least inviting place does the best food. You husband definitely got the fish, it looks lovely! I hope your meal this evening is good.

8. thehungryscholar permalink
    June 4, 2010 2:47 pm

No, please greet me in Italian.

9. June 4, 2010 3:20 pm

Sounds like you guys are having a blast.. it is amazing how the Italian food in Italy is NOTHING like the italian food here in the states.. oh wait its because we like ours deep fried with extra heavy butter, the true american way 😉

10. June 4, 2010 5:02 pm

Make sure to venture off into the residential areas and just get lost in the alleys of Venice.

11. June 4, 2010 5:04 pm

OK, they’re never going to compare, but they make really really delicious fried zuccini at Jethro’s in Altoona … and I hear they have a new salad menu! Just FYI for when you get back!

12. June 4, 2010 5:13 pm

Glad you are enjoying your trip! That sea bass looks CREEPY!! Those eyes are staring at me….yikes.
    I just had gelato for the first time a couple weeks ago. I bet it’s even MORE amazing in Italy!! Please, do a post so we can all drooooool. 🙂

13. June 4, 2010 5:41 pm

I will not get tired of you greeting us in Italian b/c I’m loving the posts. I think wine will help with anything by the way!

14. June 4, 2010 5:47 pm

can i come eat with you? i would love LOVE to have some of those zucchini blossoms right about now!

15. actorsdiet permalink
    June 4, 2010 6:16 pm

oh gelato in italy! when we got back from our trip 8 years ago we made a video, and titled it “gelato for breakfast”

16. June 4, 2010 8:35 pm

Again, love the amazing pics. Looks like you’re having a wonderful time!