Markets and Gondolas and Gelato…

June 4, 2010

…oh my!

Hello again, friends! We’re back in the hotel for a bit of a siesta before dinner tonight, so I thought I’d post some of our adventures from today!

This morning, after a quick breakfast at the hotel (why does even the yogurt taste better in Europe?), we headed out to explore some of the local morning markets of Venice.

We walked for about twenty minutes, and eventually ended up at a large outdoor marketplace containing a combination of fruit + veggie stands and seafood stands.  I love exploring markets like this in fun new cities!  European markets have the prettiest produce!

Here are some highlights from our morning (warning—the fish pictures aren’t exactly vegetarian friendly!):

blog 043

blog 046

blog 050

blog 068

blog 063

blog 065

Now this is fresh tuna:

blog 084

blog 080

blog 094

Absolutely incredible!

These markets made me wish we were staying in an apartment so that we could buy a lot of produce and cook a nice dinner!  Oh well.  C’est la vie!

After meandering through the market, we meandered around town:

blog 122

blog 117

blog 135

There’s fresh laundry hanging everywhere in town, and it smells so good!

blog 147

This guy had it out for me.

blog 159

We stopped to get caffeine:

blog 176

And lunch:

blog 183

blog 182

Our plan so far has been to eat a cheap lunch, and then splurge at dinner.  It’s worked so far—this enormous slice of pizza plus a nectarine from a fruit stand only cost 5 dollars total, and fed both of us.  Score!

After a bit more walking, we decided it was time to relax and take a boat ride.  Gondola time!

bloh 002

It’s a little crowded up in this canal, yo.

bloh 010

bloh 027

bloh 031

Our lovely gondolier, who spent the ride humming classical Italian songs, while singing, “Gondola…gondola…gondola…” Something tells me he might have been improvising.

Sigh.  We contemplated paying him to row us around for a few hours while we napped in the gondola, but that seemed a bit extravagant.  Put that on my list of “Things I’ll Do If I Ever Win the Lottery.”

Though it was all too short, the gondola ride was fabulous.

All that sitting around in a gondola stirred our appetites, so it was time for…you guessed it: more gelato.

bloh 048

What?  They might not have gelato in Croatia, so we need to load up while we can, right?  Right.

bloh 046

This was my favorite so far: pignoli (pine nuts).  Seems like a strange flavor, I know, but it was SO creamy, and it had toasted pine nuts throughout.  Amazing.

Ryan enjoyed a chocolate hazelnut cone:

bloh 047

Yum! (Lars, that one’s for you…)

On our way back to the hotel, we saw a bride and groom!  It was so sweet—they were running through the square with all of their wedding guests trailing them! They must have just gotten married.

bloh 051

bloh 052

Awwww!

Now we’re just relaxing for a while before dinner.  Life is tough, what can I say?  😉

Hope your weekend is off to a great start! Happy Friday!

1. Madeline - Greens and Jeans permalink
    June 4, 2010 3:45 pm

Your pictures are so beautiful! When I was younger we stayed in Milan for a month while my dad did a lecture series and I don’t think my brother and I ate anything except pizza and gelato the entire time we were there!

2. June 4, 2010 4:06 pm

That wedding is unreal! I can tell I’m really going to enjoy living vicariously through you here. 🙂

3. June 4, 2010 5:05 pm

What a lovely day! It’s funny, I’m wearing the same dress you’re wearing in these photos. Except I’m just sitting on my couch. :-p

4. June 4, 2010 6:36 pm

Oh my God, I love it all! I didn’t get to go on a gondala when we were there, but I got to see a glass blower make a horse, and it was pretty incredible

5. June 4, 2010 8:57 pm

I love every single picture! Your photography skills just blow me away, and the bride and groom? Stunning.

When I’m on vacation I usually eat a huge breakfast and then a small snack around 3 and then a big dinner. Saves us a lot of money that way!

6. June 4, 2010 9:09 pm

Ah! What an amazing market! I’m totally living 100% vicariously through you on this trip as I sit in my florescent lighted cube. Venice looks amazing!

PS – Love the sundress. I actually had the same one. I say HAD because I washed it and hung it to dry and it shrunk!! So now it belongs to one of my best-ies.

7. June 4, 2010 9:53 pm

These are such awesome recaps. I am loving hearing all about your vacation! You and Ryan are too cute and I am sure you are definitely enjoying yourself!!

8. June 5, 2010 2:45 am

When I went to Venice we went to buy food from the market and started grabbing at the produce until the merchant yelled at me to stop squeezing the peaches! Apparently you can’t choose your own produce there.

9. June 5, 2010 4:15 am

HEY BEAUTIFUL!! Ahh looks like you are doing awesome! I WANT SOME GELATO NOW!! i heard it was soo good!

10. June 5, 2010 9:47 am

Awh that bride and groom – how lovely!!
    It looks like you’re having a great time, you’re bringing back so many memories for me! The ice cream and gelato there is amazing..!! I hope you continue to have fun 🙂

11. June 11, 2010 1:43 pm

I LOVED Venice! Isn’t it amazing to just wander through the streets there?