Viva Venice!

June 3, 2010

Buon Giorno!!!

We’ve made it safely to Venice with *almost* no problems.  We had a minor freak out at the airport when I realized I hadn’t switched my passport over to my married name (which my ticket was under), but they were able to just change the ticket back to my maiden name.  WHEW!

Other than that, our flight was uneventful.  I made my way through a good chunk of Prep, watched about 10 minutes of Dear John, and dozed on and off for about four hours of the flight.  We finally arrived in Venice at about 9:00 Venice time.  We both felt pretty well-rested, considering that it was 3:00 am our time!

After a long wait for a water shuttle, we were on our way across the Bacino di San Marco, headed for Venice! We were able to quickly navigate our way to  our hotel…yay for helpful maps!

Our hotel, the Hotel Ca’ Gattardi, is really nice!  I was a little nervous, because Ryan has made all of the hotel reservations, but if this hotel is any indication, he did a great job!

Our room is fit for a king:

blog 010

Or a tired traveler:

blog 012

Lol…this hotel is a far cry from the hostels I stayed in when I was studying abroad in college.  I guess that’s one of the perks of growing up!

As tempting as it was to sprawl out on this bed and take a long nap, we were ready to hit the town.  We spent the rest of the day exploring for hours!

First we hit up the Rialto Bridge, over the Grande Canal:

blog 030

blog 022

Then it was on to the Piazza San Marco:

blog 037

blog 080

blog 071

Where the pigeons were getting a little too close for comfort, in my opinion:

blog 046

Tell me he does not just look evil.

blog 054

Swarm!!!

There was music:

blog 064

And gondolas:

blog 091

And gondoliers with attitude (nice shades!):

blog 084

And of course, amazing food…

The chocolate in this window had me thinking of this chocoholic blogger in particular:

blog 108

blog 107

Evan, if I didn’t think it would melt, I’d bring you some!

Beautiful confections:

blog 111

blog 110

blog 109

And funky pasta:

blog 101

blog 102

blog 105

Around 2:00, we shared this Foccacia Caprese:

blog 097

Plus a Coca Light (why is it so much better than Diet Coke?!?):

blog 099

And of course, Gelato:

blog 100

1 scoop of meringue and 1 scoop of hazelnut.  Amazing.

Towards the end of the afternoon, we spent some time exploring the emptier streets and canals, which was really run.  The touristy parts of Venice are SUPER crowded, but if you take about ten minutes to get away from the busy streets, they really empty out and you can kind of have the town all to yourself!

blog 115

So you can do fun things like this:

blog 123

Now we’re resting up in the hotel, and trying to decide which restaurant we want to hit up tonight for dinner.

Hope all is well with y’all!!!

Oh, I almost forgot:

blog 114

It couldn’t be…could it?

image

Venice’s worst nightmare.

More fun to come! Arrivederci!

1. June 3, 2010 3:06 pm

ahhh have an awesome time. SOOO JEALOUS 🙂

2. thehungryscholar permalink
    June 3, 2010 3:49 pm

That bed is AWESOME. And those desserts! Some great pictures. I like the Speidi reference! Too bad they are separating :(. I guess his magic crystals couldn’t save this marriage.

3. June 3, 2010 4:44 pm

Beautiful! Have a fabulous time!

4. Kristi permalink
    June 3, 2010 5:22 pm

Looks like your trip is off to a great start!

5. June 3, 2010 5:27 pm

Looks like the start to an amazing trip! Have a blast and take lots of pics to make the rest of us jealous! 🙂

6. Madeline - Greens and Jeans permalink
    June 3, 2010 5:27 pm

I may or may not have swooned out loud as I read this post! Coca Cola Light is DEFINITELY better than Diet Coke!

7. June 3, 2010 6:05 pm

Oh girl – I am soooo jealous right now. So glad you made it safe and sound. I guess it’s a given that you’ll be having a fantastic trip!!!

8. June 3, 2010 6:10 pm

WOW. Your pictures are so amazing! I am over here sighing in envy. I desperately want to get to Italy sometime! Have an amazing trip and post more pics 😀

9. June 3, 2010 6:16 pm

That’s so cool that you’ve arrived!! I’ve been to Venice, so it’s really weird seeing you in all the same places..it’s beatiful isn’t it!? They do good pizza in Venice 🙂

10. cookeatburn permalink
    June 3, 2010 7:50 pm

The bed… the chocolate… the Coca Lite. Seriously issues with jealous feelings over here ;).

11. June 3, 2010 7:54 pm

Oh I LOVE torrone! Bring me back some 😉

12. June 3, 2010 8:09 pm

Oh, the FOOD in this post!! Glad to hear you arrived safely, keep enjoying yourself and all those delicious Italian specialties!!

13. June 3, 2010 8:24 pm

Thanks for the shoutout! I am drooling here. I went to venice in 2008 and I miss it and all of Italy oh-so much. I’m going to live vicariously through you on this vacation so live it up and share lots of photos!

14. June 3, 2010 8:37 pm

I can not wait to follow along and pretend I am with you guys! Everything already looks amazing!!!!

15. Keverlee permalink
    June 3, 2010 8:41 pm

Welcome to Italy! I’m sending a huge group of students off to Venice this weekend, weirdly. So keep your ears open for the College of Charleston twang! They’ll probably be misbehaving, as they’ve been doing for the last three weeks in Spoleto. Have a great trip, Anna.

• June 4, 2010 5:54 am

Oh Lord. You know, the funny thing is, we haven’t seen THAT many Americans. So we just might see them!

16. patti permalink
    June 3, 2010 9:31 pm

So glad you had a good trip. I’m already loving the view of the streets, people and food of Venice through you lens.

17. June 3, 2010 9:32 pm

Venice looks gorgeous!! So much fun! I can’t wait to go to Italy. 🙂

Jenn

18. June 3, 2010 9:57 pm

How amazing is where you are staying!!! Oh, and that is the coolest pasta I have seen!

19. June 3, 2010 10:24 pm

I don’t know what I love more…that bed or the gorgeous Canal!

20. Emily permalink
    June 3, 2010 10:28 pm

Cheese, pasta, and gelato: why Jon would hate Italy and I would love it.
    And that pigeon is totally evil! It looks like you’re having a grand time already!

21. June 3, 2010 10:39 pm

Oh gorgeous, just gorgeous!!!!

22. June 4, 2010 1:59 am

Too bad Speidi broke up, they could have gone there. (Or they just broke up to get publicity.)

Looks like a fun vacation! I went to Venice in 2000 and had a good time.

23. June 4, 2010 2:00 am

Oh. Wow. GORGEOUS!!!! Girl.
    Something about the soft drinks in Europe are SO GOOD!!!! I don’t know what they do..

24. June 4, 2010 3:54 am

this is beyond amazing! your photog skills and the scenery are a match made in voyeuristic heaven!

the pic of you over the Grande Canal looks FAKE it looks so perfect. like a staged background! wow!!!

HAVE FUN!!!!!

25. actorsdiet permalink
    June 4, 2010 6:03 am

i don’t think i’m more jealous of anyone in the world right now!

26. June 4, 2010 6:10 am

Haha Ristorante Tre Spiedi 🙂 Too bad that Heidi and Spencer split. 😉

It sounds like you’re having an amazing time in Venice! The hotel room looks amazing! I work 100% and earn pretty well but still stay in Hostels. Hehe. However, such a nice hotel would lovely every once in a while.

Enjoy your time in Italy!

27. June 4, 2010 12:13 pm

I am so happy for you guys (and maybe a little bit jealous!)

Enjoy every bite and every minute of your trip!

28. June 4, 2010 1:18 pm

Great photos! Looks like you’re having a blast!! Enjoy!

29. Davo permalink
    June 4, 2010 2:53 pm

I LOVE Venice! And yes, the pigeons are pretty pushy. The whole town is like a crazy movie set. Only older. With pasta. Love the pix!

30. June 4, 2010 8:33 pm

Glad you made it safely, love the pics! So jealous! 🙂

31. Mary Margaret permalink
    June 5, 2010 1:03 am

Lovin your posts girl! Thanks for letting us live vicariously through your trip…and the delicious Italian cuisine! I’m at Chocolatti Cafe in Wallingford drinking an Americano and reading about Intrapartum Complications…also had a delightful Mexican dark chocolate truffle. Now we can telepathically switch places for a few minutes…

Miss you and love y’all!!!

MM

32. June 11, 2010 1:44 pm

We loved feeding the pigeons there! I am guessing you didn’t do that 😉

Good to know about the passport. I still haven’t switched mine!

Trackbacks