Bon Voyage!!!

June 2, 2010

Or, whatever the Italian equivalent of that is.  Clearly, I am prepared for international travel.

This morning, in honor of National Running Day, I pounded out a 4.5 run on the treadmill.  I’m hoping this will help me to get some good sleep on our plane ride tonight! It will also be my last formal workout for over two weeks—I’m not even bringing running shoes to Europe!

I finally finished the last of my packing, and I’m quite pleased with what I ended up with:

blog 004

1 carry-on suitcase and 1 backpack.  In my suitcase, I have a roll-up nylon bag, so if I go crazy with souvenirs and trip prizes, we’ll be able to check a bag on the way home.  Pretty good packing, I’d say!

Lunch was a pick-up job from Panera:

blog 005

blog 006

Fuji apple salad + an apple on the side and a healthy chunk of Ryan’s chocolate chip cookie.  Yum! This is definitely one of my favorite Panera salads.

Well, that’s all for me, folks! Obviously I won’t be commenting on your blogs that much while we’re traveling, but I’m going to try my best to keep up and comment here and there.  Next time I post, hopefully we’ll be safely in Venice!

The last time I was in Venice, I was only 19.  I was studying abroad in France during my sophomore year of college at College of Charleston.  It was one of the best times of my life—College of Charleston had a satellite “campus” in a tiny French village called Annot, and every semester a different major would get to study abroad and live in the village for the semester.

My sophomore year, I got to go with a bunch of other English majors and creative writers! It was so fun—our writing professors came too, so we took fun poetry and travel writing classes during the week, and then we had the weekends off to travel.  I made some of my best friends during that time abroad, and I wouldn’t change it for anything.  It was also where I really started falling in love with creative writing, and poetry in particular.

Here I am in Venice with my best friends Ellie and Sarah (bridesmaids from my wedding!), and our friend Jesse:

blog 002

Ahhhh, memories.  I loved Venice then…I hope I have as much fun on this trip as I did on that one! Something tells me I will.

See you in Italy!

Did you study abroad in school?  If so, where, and what was the experience like for you?

1. Stacey permalink
    June 2, 2010 5:51 pm

Hey Anna! My name is Stacey and I’m a 29 year-old soon-to-be-wed reader from Boston. Love your blog and your recipes! Though I don’t don the title of Vegetarian, I find that I gravitate toward a mostly vegetarian diet. I shared a link to your homemade BBQ tofu on the comments section of Tina’s blog (CNC) today and it occurred to me afterward…I hope that’s okay?! If not, let me know, and I’ll e-mail her. Bon voyage! Have a great trip 🙂

• June 2, 2010 6:09 pm

Of course!!! Thanks so much!! Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

2. thehungryscholar permalink
    June 2, 2010 6:08 pm

My father wouldn’t let me study abroad. BUT, I also had a curfew (when I stayed there) until I was 23.

Have fun! Cannot wait to see pictures.

3. June 2, 2010 6:38 pm

Have a safe and wonderful trip!!! 😀

Jenn

4. June 2, 2010 6:41 pm

Wow for two weeks I would have twice as much packed! Impressive. Have so much fun, and be safe!

5. June 2, 2010 6:45 pm

oh my goodness, i am SO JEALOUS right now! first of all, way to go on the packing 🙂 that’s better than I could have done! also, Italy for 2 weeks? really? can we trade places? 🙂

6. June 2, 2010 6:45 pm

All that for 2 weeks??!! When you getback, please do a packing tutorial 😛
    And of course – HAVE AN AMAZING TIME!!! And a super safe trip 🙂

7. June 2, 2010 7:01 pm

Have a great time lady! I can’t believe I’ve been to Italy twice and both times I missed Venice. We went to rome and all over tuscany when I was 16 and then I went back in college when I was studying in The Netherlands for a few months. During that semester, I went to Prague, Paris, Brussels, Berlin, Interlochen, Barcelona, and London. My dad is english so we’ve traveled to the UK a lot throughout my life. I just love love love Europe. I know you will have an amazing time!

8. June 2, 2010 7:32 pm

HAVE SO MUCH FUN!!!! I can’t wait to hear all about your travels!

9. June 2, 2010 7:32 pm

My mouth is hanging open at the precision of your packing job

Have an AWESOME time!

10. June 2, 2010 7:41 pm

I have never been abroad. I would love to go to Rome or GReece!

11. June 2, 2010 7:42 pm

You did such a good job packing for 2 weeks in Europe- I’m so impressed!! I did a summer study abroad in Costa Rica and loved every single minute of it!!

Have a wonderful trip!!!

12. June 2, 2010 7:46 pm

Have a great time! I got to do study abroad in London last summer through UVA, and it was AMAZING. It was my first time traveling overseas all on my own (minus the big chaotic family), and I think it gave me the travel bug, because now all I want to do is go to more places 🙂

13. June 2, 2010 7:56 pm

That salad looks delish. Gotta love Panera! 😀

Have a great trip. Can’t wait to hear all about it and see pictures. I’ve never been to Venice but hoping to go in the next couple of years. If the food is even half as good as in Florence, it’s a winner. 😉

14. June 2, 2010 7:57 pm

I’m totally impressed with your packing skills! I hope you have an absolutely wonderful time.

15. June 2, 2010 8:08 pm

HAVE A BLAST!!! I have never been abroad, EVER, and when I do finally get to go abroad I would LOVE to go to Venice! Take some good pictures!!

16. June 2, 2010 8:28 pm

Wow, have fun!!! I’ve never been abroad, the most international traveling I’ve done so far has been the Bahamas and Mexico. 😛 But I plan to change that and am so jealous of your trip!

17. June 2, 2010 9:07 pm

First time at your blog – I’m so jealous you’re going to Italy! I’ve always wanted to leave the country. I was supposed to study in Quito and the Galapagos Islands when I was a junior, but I got mono really bad and couldn’t go ): I was crushed!!

I can’t wait to see pictures from your trip though – have a safe one and have some fun for me too!!

18. June 2, 2010 9:26 pm

have an excellent and safe trip!!

19. June 2, 2010 10:49 pm

Have a blast in Europe! I’m very envious!

20. June 2, 2010 10:51 pm

Have a wonderful trip!

I didn’t study abroad in college, but it is definitely my biggest regret. Looking back, I really wish I would have spent a semester in either London or Sydney.

21. June 2, 2010 11:22 pm

Have a safe trip! Super impressed with that packing job (I ALWAYS overpack) can’t wait to see all the good eats.

22. June 3, 2010 12:29 am

Hope you have a WONDERFUL time in Venice! Such a beautiful city. Don’t worry about posting or commenting, just enjoy yourself! Safe travels!

23. June 3, 2010 12:55 am

Have a great trip! Can’t wait to hear about it! I went to France, but I did not study there. Just a trip with my husband. One of the best times in my life! Have fun!

24. June 3, 2010 1:27 am

I didn’t know you went to College of Charleston. My soon-to-be brother and sister in law live in Charleston.

I went to London for a semester my junior year. Loved it.

• June 3, 2010 2:47 pm

Yep!! I loved it– I miss Charleston every day!

25. June 3, 2010 2:47 am

I hope you have an amazing time! I studied abroad in Italy for 6 weeks. It was so amazing! Venice is so beautiful! Can’t wait to see pics!

26. June 3, 2010 3:04 am

Have an amazing trip, as i know you will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have never studied abroad (sister was in italy for 9 mos) but i have been to europe, but not as an adult, as a 16 yr old

HAVE FUN!

27. Madeline - Greens and Jeans permalink
    June 3, 2010 4:20 am

Safe travels! I didn’t study abroad, but I lived in New Zealand, Sweden, and England when I was younger!

28. June 3, 2010 11:18 am

Have an amazing trip! I have to get to Italy someday….I just have to!

29. Ginger permalink
    June 3, 2010 12:05 pm

Have a wonderful time!! I didn’t study abroad in college (as you know), but I did go to summer school in Monterrey, Mexico during high school (as you also know). Memories like that can’t be replaced!

30. June 3, 2010 12:51 pm

Have a great time in Europe, I hope the flight was ok. I never studied abroad but my uni did offer it if you wanted to. I haven’t been to many places abroad either but I want to change that and will hopefully be flying off to places next yr.