Sip ‘n’ Crunch

June 1, 2010

Hello, hello!

After a good night’s sleep last night and a later than usual rising time this morning (almost 9:00!!), I feel 99% back to normal! Whew! I did NOT want to get on that plane sick!

This morning, I did more packing.  I think I’m going to be able to get away with a carry-on suitcase and a small-ish backpack (Jansport, circa 1995…what, what middle school!).  I’ll take a picture of my final packing later tonight or tomorrow because, I’ll be honest, I’m pretty proud of myself for how light I’m traveling! But, I guess the real test will be finding out how well I fare in Europe with only two pairs of underwear.

I kid, I kid!

After a quick workout (3 miles on the treadmill, 1 running and 2 walking—didn’t want to push it too hard after being sick!), I sat down to another Green Monster lunch.  I know you must be getting sick of seeing these, but I’m not sick of drinking them! They’re so refreshing and cool—perfect for our overheated, non-air conditioned house.

blog 005

This green monster had almond milk, greens, a banana, and a big scoop of vanilla protein powder.  Yum!

blog 009

blog 011

Along with my smoothie, I had some crunch in the form of sweet carrots and a Kashi granola bar.  These are tasty granola bars…they remind me of Nature’s Valley bars.

Off to do some more prep work! See you tonight!

Are you a light packer or a heavy packer?  Any packing tips you want to share with me and the readers?

One thing I’ve started doing that I learned from my friend Sarah is rolling my clothes—I swear, it works! I can pack so many more articles of clothing that way, plus they stay unwrinkled!

1. June 1, 2010 6:43 pm

I love green smoothies – they ARE so refreshing in the summer. Enjoy your trip. I miss Europe!!

2. June 1, 2010 6:54 pm

One of my friend’s fathers taught me a few years ago to lay out your pants, halved vertically, and place folded clothes in the center. Then wrap them up in little bundles. Saves space!

3. June 1, 2010 7:56 pm

I am so glad you are feeling better! I travel a lot for work so I just keep a medium sized cosmetic bag underneath my bathroom sink with all of my plane sized toiletries already ready to go. I typically just need to add the daily essentials (deodorant, face moisturizer, face wash). It is helpful to already have shampoo, conditioner, detangler, toothpaste, body lotion and shower gel all set to go!

4. Amanda @ Organic Eats permalink
    June 1, 2010 7:58 pm

I love those kashi bars and just reviewed them on my blog not too long ago! They are very good. And yes – light packing when traveling abroad is best. I learned the hard way!!!

5. June 1, 2010 8:03 pm

I have SO much admiration for anyone that can pack light – I just can’t do it!! I always pack something, for everything, and then never use half of it…ridiculous!!

6. June 1, 2010 8:21 pm

i always pack waaaaaaaaaay too much…but i would definitely say a list helps!

7. June 1, 2010 8:26 pm

Ack, kudos for surviving without AC! Not sure I could when it hits 115 degrees here! Agreed on green monsters, I never get tired of them.

For packing I try to be light, packing the minimum shoes, one reversable belt, one watch that goes with all the outfits, etc. It’s easier and cheaper considering the weight fees airlines charge now – yikes!

8. thehungryscholar permalink
    June 1, 2010 8:35 pm

I am a light packer, but I also forget everything. So I’m a bad packer.

9. June 1, 2010 8:36 pm

I’m a really heavy packer, especially when driving. My logic is that I’d rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
    I have learned that rolling clothes instead of folding makes a difference. They just pack better, and can squeeze into small places, and don’t need ironing!

10. June 1, 2010 8:46 pm

I pack SO MUCH. I always find it is better to have everything there than be without. 🙂 My husband just loves that.

11. June 1, 2010 8:47 pm

I am far from a light packer but love the rolling trick too. I am so jealous about your Europe trip, I miss it so much!

12. June 1, 2010 9:33 pm

I love packing! I’m a super-light packer. I went to Europe last summer for 3 weeks and 3 different climates in a carry-on roller and small backpack. If you can manage it, it’s the best way to go. I packed a pair of travel light-weight pants in khaki, a pair of shorts, a pair of jeans, a black cotton skirt, and a cute sun dress. Several tanks and two cardigans and I was good to go. For shoes: walking shoes, sandals and chacos.

Tips:
    Pack less underwear. Honestly, you can handwash in the sink and it’ll dry overnight.
    Same with socks and cotton tank tops!
    Bring a bandanna or light scarf. It was so hot in Greece that I wrapped a soaking bandanna around my neck to stay cool.
    Buy smart souvenirs. Instead of typical souvenirs, I like to buy one small thing (like clothing or jewelry) from each place. I have a bracelet I bought at a museum in London that makes me think of London every time I wear it. Also, when people ask where I got it, I get to say Europe!
    Wear the clunky shoes on the plane. Even if untying laces in the security line is a pain, it will save you so much room!

And this is the longest comment ever. Can you tell I am passionate about packing light?

13. June 1, 2010 9:43 pm

Do not ever take packing advice from me…I am the worst packer and I always pack way too much! Seriously! It is bad….haha!

14. June 1, 2010 10:42 pm

I’m such a light packer- but it usually means I’m wishing I brought something else! Rolling clothes is my favorite trick 😉 A lot of times I put things in ziploc bags, then squish the air out of them (like a vacuum bag). Then everything’s smaller, and when you dig around in your suitcase you don’t end up with a mess everywhere!

Glad you’re feeling better!!

15. June 2, 2010 12:01 am

Yay on feeling better!!!! I am a very heavy, major over packer.

16. June 2, 2010 12:07 am

I over-pack like crazzzzy! Even for overnight trips I pack half of my house, LOL.

Glad you feel better!

Jenn

17. June 2, 2010 12:14 am

My college roommate taught me to roll my clothes too, saves SO MUCh space! Though I always over pack anyway, so its always good to have more room 🙂

18. louisianagrown permalink
    June 2, 2010 1:22 am

I am SUCH a heavy packer. I’ve gotten some serious looks and comments from the huge bags that I’ve been known to lug around on two night trips. A girl’s gotta be prepared!

19. Ginger permalink
    June 2, 2010 12:06 pm

I always pack way too much. I love some of these tips and have decided to turn over a new leaf this year. We’ll see how it goes. We tried your pasta with squash last night and it was delicious. We had lots left over, so gave it to Katherine and Kevin to try – so we all ate from the blog last night!!

20. June 2, 2010 12:53 pm

I am a crazy packer.. and I always bring too much. I came back home from London with a 23kg suitcase even though I only stayed there for 4 days!!
    But to be honest: I don’t know how to pack light! It’s all things that I really need (and I don’t have tons of beauty products or other unnecessary stuff 😉 and I don’t know how other people pack light…