Memorial Day Outing

May 31, 2010

Greetings, friends! I feel like I’ve finally returned to the land of the living!

Sorry for the lack of posting yesterday—I literally spent the day in bed, with the exception of a few quick dog walks around the block.  I think a day of pure rest was just what I needed, because I finally started feeling better around 5:00, and this morning, I woke up feeling finally well.  I’m still a little stopped up, but other than that, I think I’m all better! Whew!

Ryan got back late last night, just when I was starting to feel back to normal.  Maybe I was just lurrrrrrrve sick?  🙂

This morning, we didn’t have much on our agenda other than running a few errands.  Because I was feeling so much better, we decided to get out of the house and have a little fun!

Less than an hour from where we live is a town called Boalsburg, PA.  We’d never been to Boalsburg, but it has the distinction of being…the birthplace of Memorial Day! It should be noted that 24 other cities in America claim this as well, but you can read about Boalsburg’s Memorial Day story here

Needless to say, with this claim to fame, they have a huge Memorial Day celebration, so we decided to check it out!  Over twenty-thousand people go to Boalsburg every year to celebrate the holiday!

blog 016

We were glad we went! The town had a huge street fair set up, with carnival rides, Civil War reenactments, artist booths, food booths, and even a May pole!

blog 014

blog 002

blog 006 blog 004

blog 008

I don’t want to brag, but I once danced the May pole with my fifth grade class at my school’s annual May Day celebration.  It’s a lot harder than it looks, let me tell you.  They were doing a good job with it, but I probably could have stepped in and given them a few pointers.  😉

It has been HOT here this week, and today was no exception.  Ryan stopped and got some barbequed chicken, but the combination of the hot weather and my cold has pretty much zapped my appetite.  Instead of going for street fair food, I made a chilly green monster when we got home, which was perfect:

blog 023

blog 025

This had almond milk, blueberries, a banana, vanilla protein powder, and romaine (we’re out of spinach).  I like using the romaine in my GM’s! I’m going to have to do it more often!

We’re off to run some trip errands.  TCB…tomorrow is our last day in the States!

Going to Europe makes me want to start humming this song…

European Vacation anyone?  Gotta love Clark Griswold.

See you tonight!

1. thehungryscholar permalink
    May 31, 2010 7:50 pm

I want to dance around a May Pole. I am very jealous. I am also jealous about your European Vacation. I strive to be you!

Ha. Have a good post-sickness day.

2. May 31, 2010 8:09 pm

Glad that you had a low key day and that rest was on your agenda!

the parade…reminds me of my childhood. Super fun and quaint looking, family friendly. Have to say, wished i would have done something like that today w/ skylar but….it’s like 105F out and I cant deal w/ standing outside for a few hrs w/ the parade!

xo

3. May 31, 2010 8:40 pm

mmm that green monter looks delicious! I’ve never tried it with romaine, but i can imagine that if spinach is not noticable in the drink, romaine should be just fine too! 🙂

4. May 31, 2010 9:11 pm

I am so glad you are feeling better!! Happy Memorial Day! 🙂

5. May 31, 2010 9:22 pm

So glad you were feeling well enough to finally get out! Glad you had a good day. Take care!!!

6. May 31, 2010 10:40 pm

Glad to see you are feeling better! I was beginning to think you were just missing your man! Take care of yourself and load up on the GM!

7. Kristi permalink
    May 31, 2010 10:55 pm

Glad you’re feeling better. I want you to be well for your trip!

8. May 31, 2010 11:08 pm

I used to love European Vacation when I was like 12.

• June 1, 2010 12:31 am

Ha, me too! We would always rent it at slumber parties 🙂

9. June 1, 2010 12:43 am

So glad you are feeling better and had a great day!

10. June 1, 2010 11:06 am

I’m happy you are feeling better!

That Memorial Day celebration looks like a lot of fun! I wish I could have done something like that 🙂

11. actorsdiet permalink
    June 2, 2010 1:57 am

i have never seen a may pole before! only in drawings.

i love chevy chase…just watched “fletch” last night for the first time!

12. December 1, 2010 7:01 pm

european vacations are very exciting sepcially if you got to visit many places at once :**