What has two thumbs and loves broccoli?

May 29, 2010

This girl!

Hello, hello! Hope you’ve had a good Saturday.  Mine has been okay—I spent most of it in bed, and actually started feeling pretty sick again.  Boo!  I slept for a few hours, and then when I woke up I could barely talk!  My sinuses just will not clear.

Our friends Lee and Steve called to invite me to a baseball game, but I turned down the invite—I’m in no condition to cheer on the Altoona Curve, unfortunately.  Double boo.

Dinner tonight was simple, and included one of my childhood hates: broccoli.

blog 001

blog 007

Growing up, I was a pretty easy-to-please eater, but broccoli was one vegetable that I hated.  I think it was because my mom never put cheese sauce on it, as per my request.  I’d see the broccoli in the commercials being smothered underneath that glossy, orange Velveeta, and our plain old broccoli just paled in comparison.

But now, it’s one of my favorites!  And Velveeta grosses me out to no end.

Funny how things change.

Did you hate any veggie as a kid that you now love?  Or any food, for that matter?

Off to sleep some more.  Sigh.  Being sick sucks.  Triple boo.

Hope you’re having more fun than me, wherever you are!

1. May 29, 2010 11:56 pm

Hmmm I would say eating brussels sprouts when I was a kid would have been traumatic whereas now I love em 🙂 Your brocolli looks cooked to perfection here though 🙂

• May 30, 2010 2:12 pm

I think every kid hates brussels sprouts, simply because of the name!! They just sound like they’d be gross!

2. Kristi permalink
    May 30, 2010 1:28 am

Don’t go walking tomorrow or Monday; use your energy to get better. Hug Elle and Baxter and rest. They’ll love hanging out with the alpha female. And you’ll have a better shot at getting well. Been there, done that (witness my moniker of “mama bed”). Sorry you’re not feeling well. No fun at all.

• May 30, 2010 2:13 pm

Hey Kristi,

I looked for your MP3 player, but didn’t see it. Ryan returns tonight, so I’ll get him to look around too, just in case I missed it. 😦

Thanks for the well wishes! I’m currently hanging out in bed with Ella and Baxter! 🙂

3. May 30, 2010 1:45 am

I hated salads so I would drench them in dressing, but now I love all sorts of veggies 🙂

4. May 30, 2010 1:55 am

I actually always liked veggies. But now, I just really cant live without them, espi broccoli!

5. May 30, 2010 3:39 am

I used to HATE beets up until about a year ago. Now I love pickled beets on salads and oven-roasted ones from my dad’s garden!

• May 30, 2010 2:13 pm

Ahhhh, beets are my FAVORITE! I think they’re definitely a love ’em or hate ’em veggie. I love ’em!

6. May 30, 2010 8:09 am

Pretty much anything I hated as a kid I love now. Except eggplant hated it back then and still do!

7. May 30, 2010 9:16 am

I used to hate ALL vegetables when I was younger – stir fried cabbage in garlic was the first one I ate and liked! Mad, how much time I wasted being a hater…
    I’m sorry you’re still ill 😦 maybe today will be the day you heal!?

8. May 30, 2010 10:04 am

So sorry you’re still feeling under the weather. 😦

I used to hate Brussels sprouts, but now they’re one of my favorites!

9. May 30, 2010 10:56 am

Oh no, hope you feel better soon. Being sick sucks.
    I was quite a good kid veggie wise and would eat (and still do) anything! The only thing I hated and still do are carrots BUT I eat them (as they are good for me) with other foods like mashed potato!!

10. May 30, 2010 11:19 am

I have always hated broccoli. I tried to make myself eat it as an adult, but I just can’t stand it, raw or cooked. All my fav veggies, (eggplant, artichokes, mushrooms, peppers, zucchini, and tomatoes,) I have always loved. For the most part I can make myself eat something even if I don’t like it, but I stopped forcing the broccoli.

11. Ginger permalink
    May 30, 2010 11:43 am

I did not like cooked carrots as a kid, but love them now. I second all of Kristi’s suggestions – lay up in bed today, drink LOTS of fluids, take a decongestant and ibuprofen, and I’ll bet you’ll be better by tomorrow. If not, go to a doctor for some serious help. You don’t want to be sick when you get on the plane this week!

12. May 30, 2010 1:35 pm

I didn’t want to eat ANYTHING raw. It all had to be cooked. And sadly, my mom was not opposed to smothering our veggies in Velveeta and butter and salt. (Thanks, mom!) So I didn’t really have the “I hate this veggie” experience. I just had the “you better cook that carrot” experience. 😉

13. Emily permalink
    May 30, 2010 1:51 pm

I hope you woke up feeling better!
    I hated broccoli as a kid, too — I actually doused it with honey and/or cool-whip to eat it. Then I tried to pull “The President doesn’t like broccoli, and he’s ok” to avoid it — it didn’t work.

• May 30, 2010 2:14 pm

Emily– cool whip on broccoli?!? LOL. That sounds so nasty! 🙂

• Emily permalink
        May 31, 2010 2:11 pm

Yeah. It does, doesn’t it?

14. May 30, 2010 2:01 pm

Oh girl I hate to hear that you’re feeling worse. Not good. I love broccoli. When I was a kid I hated bell peppers. Now I like them. Well, I still want the green peppers cooked, but I’m totally cool with raw red, yellow or orange.

15. May 30, 2010 2:26 pm

I used to hate… most veggies! IT’s funny how tastes change, because I could definitely eat veggies 90% of my day and be happy.

16. May 30, 2010 2:38 pm

Sorry you’re sick! That’s no fun. I used to dislike melon and now it’s my favorite fruit!

17. May 30, 2010 2:53 pm

I love edamame! I buy it shelled and frozen, and take it out in the evening for lunch the next day. It usually is perfectly thawed. Your broc looks ‘elicious!

18. May 30, 2010 3:40 pm

I’m sorry, I hope you feel better soon! I hated mushrooms and avocados as a kid, but love them now.

19. May 30, 2010 3:44 pm

I’m still trying to learn to like broccoli.

Have you read tawni o’dell’s new book yet? altoona and the curve are mentioned by name!

20. May 30, 2010 5:58 pm

Hope you’re feeling better. When I was a kid I never liked any fish besides cod or swordfish, but now I like all types of fish, when I’m in the mood to eat it.

21. greensandjeans permalink
    May 30, 2010 6:10 pm

My brother used to beg my mom for velvetta! Of course, now we can appreciate the feta and parm she used instead!

22. May 30, 2010 6:18 pm

Love the broc and tofu combo! When I was young, I hated brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes and mushrooms. Now I love them all.

23. May 30, 2010 6:30 pm

I used to HATE asparagus. I would literally get sick from the taste. It’s so weird to me now…I adore them!!

24. May 30, 2010 6:38 pm

Oh, I hope you feel better soon! That stinks! I hated cantaloupe when I was a kid and now I could eat a whole one in one sitting! Get some rest!

25. actorsdiet permalink
    May 30, 2010 6:59 pm

i used to hate raw tomatoes (i know, a fruit) when i was a kid. i’m sorry to hear you’re not feeling well again – i am actually sick now too and wish i could just be home buried under the covers!

26. May 30, 2010 8:32 pm

Definitely…when I was a kid I hated squash! Now I laugh because that could be one of my favorite veggies. What was I thinking?!?! Hope you feel better soon, Anna!!

27. highonhealthy permalink
    May 30, 2010 11:41 pm

As a kid I hated sooo many things that I have grown to love – peas, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, brussel sprouts, onions, mushrooms, asparagus, avocado, etc. I was ridiculously picky and can’t believe that I missed out on all that goodness for so many years! The one thing I adored but won’t eat now? Meat. Funny how that worked out. 😀

I hope you feel better soon!

28. May 30, 2010 11:56 pm

I’ve always liked my veggies except green beans. My mom would always make me eat two. She still puts two on my plate as a joke if she ever makes them when I’m home. They still aren’t my fave, but I’ll eat them.

29. thehungryscholar permalink
    May 31, 2010 4:03 am

So it’s me. Um, Ashley. I talked to Ryan at the conference about women doing food blogs, and your success story (I want to put that in quotes because it is very cheesy) inspired me to finally do it. I set it all up and start tomorrow.

Anyway. I hope all is well. Your blog also rocks.

• thehungryscholar permalink
      May 31, 2010 4:03 am

Also, you on my blogroll, b/c I like to represent.

30. May 31, 2010 11:07 am

I hope you feel better soon. I didn’t like mushrooms as a kid and now I do.

31. May 31, 2010 12:44 pm

I never liked beets. I still don’t. I want to like them and I keep trying eating them different ways, but it doesn’t matter how I do it, I just don’t like beets.

32. May 31, 2010 2:50 pm

Aah I hope you feel better, love! Damn you, sinuses!
    I absolutely adore broccoli, but I get what you mean about being a kid and wishing everything were either sugar laden or dripping with cheese. I hated carrots as a kid. Hated them. But now I love them, esp roasted!

Hope youhave a good day,dear!

33. patti permalink
    May 31, 2010 3:45 pm

As a child, I liked the basics like corn, green beans and peas but like many cooks, my mom overcooked many other strong flavored vegetables. I like most vegetables now that I have learned to steam, roast, saute or braise them. Everytime my students make a meal, we include a vegetable and many have tried roasted vegetables, sauted aspapagus, and steamed brocoli for the first time. Many have never had bruschetta before and are surprised how much they love it. Others refuse to even try anything A chef came recently to my catering class and had them make vegetable crepes with cauliflower, fennel, brocoli, seasonings and a sprinkle of fresh parmesan cheese and they loved it. Hope you are feeling better – take care of yourself

34. June 1, 2010 2:38 am

that dinner may be simple, but it features two of my favorite foods ever! growing up i used to hate peppers, be it green, red, or yellow. now i love to eat them roasted by themselves or in sandwiches!