Making Elaine Proud

May 27, 2010

Elaine Benes would be so pleased with my lunch.

Behold the BIG salad:

blog 004

blog 006

blog 002

Mixed greens, parsley, carrots, mushrooms, red bell pepper, tomatoes, avocado, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, and balsamic dressing.

Whew!

Ryan left for Minneapolis this morning, so I’m trying to eat really healthy through the weekend while he’s away.  Even though we eat pretty healthy meals together, I always find it easier to eat “light” when he’s away.  I put on a *few* pounds while I was at home, but I’m not worried about it—that always happens.  Still, I’d like to get back to my normal weight before we leave on our big trip!

For those of you who asked, Ryan and I are going to Italy and Croatia for about two weeks.  I’ll be taking my computer along, and will hopefully be blogging fairly regularly!

Off to work on a craft project!

Do you find that it’s easier to eat healthy when you’re by yourself, as opposed to eating with a boyfriend/girlfriend, husband/wife, friend, roommate, etc.?

See you tonight!

1. May 27, 2010 6:53 pm

SO MUCH easier to eat healthy when I’m solo. When i’m with my friends I’m more likely to throw caution to the wind and indulge.

2. May 27, 2010 6:58 pm

So proud! Love the big salads! Yes, it is definitely easier to eat healthy when I am by myself. Sounds like some pretty fantastic places to visit…can’t wait to see the pictures from that trip!

3. coachdunn permalink
    May 27, 2010 7:29 pm

It really depends who I’m with. I eat healthier without Brian…. he can eat like 6,000 calories a day and not gain any weight. My girlfriends all eat pretty healthy, so I’m safe with them, UNLESS we get ICE CREAM on the brain and then we’re goners. My family, now, that’s where I run into problems because my family LOVES TO EAT REALLY WELL.

4. May 27, 2010 7:58 pm

Your salad looks scrumptious! I find it so much easier when I’m eating solo without hubby. Especially when he isn’t in the mood for eating something healthy!Lucky you to be going on vacation! Look forward to seeing your pictures 🙂

5. May 27, 2010 8:04 pm

Your salad looks amazing! I find that I eat more vegetarian meals when I’m not with my boyfriend as any meal without meal is sacrilege to him! But when I’m with my friends I seem to put my healthy eating aside so I don’t look out of place. I need to be stronger in my views and not worry about what others think.

6. May 27, 2010 8:33 pm

I actually eat healthier when I’m around people. I tend to be more aware of what I’m eating, and I’m not lonely, so I stop when I should!

I love how huge that salad is! SO healthy and nutritious 🙂

7. May 27, 2010 8:45 pm

That salad is gorgeous!!

I probably eat worse when I’m alone, lol.

Jenn

8. May 27, 2010 8:47 pm

I usually eat less when I eat with friends or the boy because we’re busy doing other stuff, but when I eat alone I definitely eat healthier because I don’t get any weird looks at my pungent or strange looking salads and smoothies and combos of foods.

Travel safe, sweetie!

9. May 27, 2010 9:02 pm

Oh hello – now that’s a salad! I think it can go both ways for me. Sometimes if I’m by myself, it can be easy to opt for something fast, easy, perhaps not quite as healthy.

10. May 27, 2010 9:12 pm

Definitely more healthy when I’m alone. That’s why I love when my husband goes away!

11. May 27, 2010 9:13 pm

I eat much healthier when I am by myself because I put very little effort into making things taste good. I put in a lot more effort if I know people are going to eat it and effort usually equals more sugar, butter, oil, salt, etc.

I am envious of your great trip!!

12. May 27, 2010 9:17 pm

I love that I can spot hemp seeds as a salad topping now.
    I definitely eat healthier alone, whcih is odd because I would think that being alone would make me want to raid the fridge for ice cream but nope!

13. May 27, 2010 9:26 pm

I find it easy to eat healthy regardless of who I’m with – noone else has any influence! I suppose I’m quite lucky 🙂

14. May 27, 2010 9:50 pm

Beautiful salad, I love dumping hemp seeds all over mine too. Since I’m vegan and hubby isn’t, we end up eating different things a lot anyway, when he wants mac n’ cheese, I usually end up with a monster salad. 😛

15. May 27, 2010 10:34 pm

i dont think i woudl ever let a significant other dictate how I eat. I eat the way I eat because it makes me feel great!! With taht said, i have def influenced my BF to make some healthier choices and try new foods which is awesome!

i want that salad!!

16. May 27, 2010 10:54 pm

I don’t eat any differently when I am with Keith or not. Thankfully we eat healthy most of the time and he is my FAVORITE person to eat junk food with!!

17. May 27, 2010 11:58 pm

I’m in love with that salad!! I definitely agree that its way easier to eat lighter when I’m alone. We eat pretty healthy anyways but I tend to make dinners a bit more heavier when I’m feeding the both of us. Also if I’m alone I dont put so much effort in and things end up lighter anyways!

p.s. hemp seeds rock on salads!!!

18. May 28, 2010 12:22 am

When are you leaving? I’m going out of the country in a little over two weeks and I CAN’T WAIT!!!
    Wow what a salad.. I had a huge veggie stir fry for dinner and it was GREAT to eat a ton of veggies!

19. May 28, 2010 12:26 am

I eat healthier with my partner, Steve, then I do when I’m alone. I tend to overeat and eat more junk when I’m by myself.

On another note, you will love Italy and Croatia – they are both beautiful!

20. May 28, 2010 4:21 am

I live with my parents and I do the majority of the grocery shopping for my house so I rarely buy junk food. We really like to eat healthy. I buy tons of fruits and vegetables each friday and we are always out by wednesday the following week. So I really think that I would eat the same if I was with my family or not!!

21. Ginger permalink
    May 28, 2010 12:07 pm

I tend to eat healthier when I’m alone, because I’m not cooking a big meal. However, I eat less when I’m with other people, because I don’t keep going back to the kitchen and snacking all night.

22. ATX Jen permalink
    July 9, 2010 6:06 pm

haha love the seinfeld reference 🙂