Retirement Party

May 12, 2010

Goodbye, dear shoes:

blog 024

You have served me well!  You helped me through countless training runs for my first half-marathon, hundreds of miles on the treadmill during the dead of winter, and too many dog walks to count.

But now, it’s time to say goodbye, and to welcome in a new generation:

blog 026

blog 029

Welcome, new friends!  I look forward to our time together over the next 350 miles!

*       *       *

I guess you can tell what I did today.  🙂

After a 4 mile walk with my mama and a run to Starbucks, I headed to Sportspectrum, a local athletics store, where I got some NEW running shoes! It was about time!

I thought about switching it up, but I liked my last pair of shoes so much that I decided to stick with what works: Asics Nimbus.  I did get them in a snazzy new color though…although I stuck with the blue.  Call me a creature of habit.

Lunch was easy:

Carrot sticks, potato salad, and a hummus + spinach sandwich on Ezekial bread.  Yum!

blog 018

blog 019

blog 022

Ryan enjoyed leftovers from last night’s sloppy Joes, and I’m pleased to tell you that these leftovers are DEFINITELY the kind that only get better with time.  If you ever make that recipe, make enough for the next day too!

I finished lunch up with another Glenny’s 100 calorie brownie.  Yum!

Hope you’re having a great afternoon! We’re off to do a little Sophie-sitting!

See you tonight for a Greek dinner!

What kind of running shoes do you have?  Do you like to stick with one type, or do you tend to switch around with different brands? In the past, I’ve tried Nikes, New Balances, and Saucony’s, but I really think Asics are my fave.

See ya!

1. May 12, 2010 7:23 pm

I am in a serious need of new walking shoes… I have tried NB, Nike, Asics and reebok.. I usually buy what is comfortable that day.. not married to a brand. Yet!

2. May 12, 2010 7:29 pm

I’m way past due for some new running shoes! Hopefully in the next few months I’ll get some 🙂

3. May 12, 2010 7:32 pm

I love Brooks! I don’t run much, but I love them for all exercise!

• May 12, 2010 7:53 pm

I was THIS close to getting some Brooks. I’ve heard such good things about them!

4. May 12, 2010 7:58 pm

Yay on the new shoes. After finally going and getting properly fitted, I was wearing Asics, but they stopped making the number that I liked. I just got a new pair of Brooks Raveena that I really like. I may stick with those. They’re super light.

Have fun tonight!

5. May 12, 2010 7:58 pm

i LOVE new running shoes! i have underarmor, and i like them, but could definitely use some new ones soon!

6. May 12, 2010 8:15 pm

LOVE the new shoes Anna! Dig the sassy blue. I run in Adidas Supernova Glides, which have served me well. The running store I went to recommended them for my stride/high arches. It’s almost time for me to get a new pair; I’m excited! 😀

7. May 12, 2010 8:37 pm

I really like your new shoes…I have New Balance right now. I like them but I have to admit I liked my Asics more. I just didn’t care for their prices!

8. Emily permalink
    May 12, 2010 8:38 pm

New shoes always make my day! My friend, a runner in D.C., just got some Asics, too, so I’m thinking of trying them. My last two pairs have been New Balance, so I might stick with those. I am in need… but Jon’s asked me to wait until we can get reimbursed by the company health program. My knees can take it, right? 🙂

9. May 12, 2010 8:41 pm

I had 2 pairs of Nike Bowermans, but I switched to Brooks Adrenalines and I love them! I think once you find something that works, it’s best to just stick with it!

10. May 12, 2010 8:52 pm

I wear Kswiss…I used to wear Mizuno but Kswiss has stolen my heart!!

11. mindy permalink
    May 12, 2010 10:07 pm

I will always and forever only buy Adidas. I will never ever buy Nike. It’s a bit of an anti-Cinderella moment when I try on Nikes- they immediately feel uncomfortable as soon as I lace them up. Adidas are just the right cushiness for me I guess.

12. May 12, 2010 10:17 pm

You are so smart to change out your trainers every 350 miles, so many people keep wearing shoes once they are dead. I am an Asics girl too 🙂

13. May 12, 2010 10:21 pm

Currently I have Asics that I’m happy with, Nike Air Maxs before which were just okay.

14. May 12, 2010 10:32 pm

Yay! I love getting new shoes! My first two were Asics, but my last four have been Brooks Adrenalines.

15. May 12, 2010 10:52 pm

I’ve also tried a lot brands, but I think I like Brooks the most.

16. May 12, 2010 11:25 pm

As fun as getting new shoes is, I hate saying goodbye to old ones!!! I stuck religiously to Asics DS trainers for years and years and years. And then I had my foot problem, and I ended up trying out Mizunos- now I love those!!

17. Katherine: What About Summer? permalink
    May 13, 2010 2:02 am

I hate getting rid of old shoes. it’s like getting rid of an old coffee maker or a best friend moving across the seas.

I’m a brooks girl myself but have had some really great asics too

18. May 13, 2010 2:14 am

I am a Nike Air Max girl all the way. I know that a Men’s 11 will always fit and I order online, every 3-4 mos. I avg about 35 miles a week between walking and running and I have injured myself wearing past-due shoes and so now i am diligent. And yes, I have huge feet, a women’s 12+.

Congrats on your shoes! Camera brand…off to see if you may have replied 🙂

19. actorsdiet permalink
    May 13, 2010 6:33 am

i love getting new shoes! i don’t run but i do get running shoes for walking around the neighborhood 🙂

i like going to ross or marshalls for insanely cheap deals. but saucony is my go-to brand for cheap, fun-looking kicks.

20. Ali permalink
    May 13, 2010 1:38 pm

Hi Anna – looks like you are having a great time at home, and Sophie is so cute!!
    And as always, your meals look G-R-E-A-T! (I really want a Greek salad for lunch now!)
    I have worn through two pair of Asics, Gel Nimbus, but just recently ordered a pair of Brooks Glycerin… they just arrived, so this weekend I will make the switch to them. I have heard good things about Brooks! So we’ll see!

21. Madeline - Greens and Jeans permalink
    May 13, 2010 2:04 pm

Yay for new shoes! I wear Pearl Izumi’s and they have stolen my heart from the Asics I used to wear!