Super-Seedy Breakfast Cookies

March 17, 2014

Morning!  How is it Monday already?!?

I’m actually excited about this Monday—first of all, it’s our last week until SPRING BREAK!

I love spring break.  It doesn’t quite mean what it once did:

…but it still means a week with no work, haha.

I’m also excited because I’m showing this movie in class today:

Have you heard of this?  It’s really great! An Alabama man and his wife decide to try to eat only foods from Alabama for a year.  I think my students will really like it. Plus, watching it gave me some ideas for where to buy local myself!

Switching gears, yesterday, I made these breakfast cookies:

…and I happen to be eating one right now as I write this. Winking smile  I’ve made breakfast cookies before, but these aren’t quite as sweet (no chocolate/carob), and are extra seedy.  The only sweetness in these comes from the natural sweetness from the raisins and bananas—but hey, it’s a breakfast cookie.  Keeping the sugar to a minimum was the goal.

Super-Seedy Breakfast Cookie:

1 very ripe banana

1 tbsp. vanilla

1 egg

2 cups oats

1 cup spelt flour

1/2 cup raisins

1/2 cup pumpkin seeds

1/4 cup chia seeds

3 tbsp. peanut butter

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. salt

Directions:

Beat banana, vanilla and egg until smooth.  Add remaining ingredients, stirring well to combine and mix all ingredients.

Shape into “patties”—I made mine very big since I do intend on eating these for breakfast.  This recipe made four cookies for me, but you could easily stretch it to six or even eight, depending on the size of your cookie.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, flip cookies, then bake for another 5 minutes.

Batter:

Cookies going in:

And the final product!

Yum.  This is going to keep me full for a while. Winking smile

Happy Monday!

1. March 17, 2014 1:27 pm

Unrelated to the cookies, but would you recommend that silpat? I have been thinking of getting one.

• March 17, 2014 2:08 pm

Yes, we love it!!! Ryan’s aunt used to sell them, so we got our first one through her. After baking on the silpat, now I really hate to bake on anything else. Totally worth the $$$.

2. March 17, 2014 1:58 pm

I just saw Spring Breakers. I never went on spring break; I hope it’s not like that? I like the idea of breakfast cookies, because cookies.

• March 17, 2014 8:06 pm

What did you think about that movie? Ryan and I watched it a while back, and neither of us really liked it (although I did grudgingly think James Franco was kind of amazing. And I loved the feature of the Britney song, obviously).

You know, I never really went on a “spring break” spring break either– the closest I ever got was going to Mardi Gras one year for the break, which was, I’ll admit, pretty crazy and exhausting.

• March 17, 2014 8:21 pm

Well I really like Riff Raff, which is the rapper James Franco based his character off of. So…his parts were funny. But I was like…why are all my Disney babies being so bad? I DON’T LIKE IT. This movie drove Selena back to Justin. It was also slow and I got bored.

I worked at Marsh Supermarkets instead of going on Spring Break. I ate a lot of breadsticks and bagged a lot of groceries.

3. March 17, 2014 5:04 pm

Those cookies look perfect! I am constantly on the hunt for breakfast recipes that I can make in advance and grab on the go. :)

4. itzyskitchen permalink
    March 17, 2014 5:51 pm

That movie sounds cool. I will definitely have to check it out. I’m so jealous you have a spring break! I need a break :( The cookies look awesome- great texture

5. Patti permalink
    March 17, 2014 9:09 pm

I like a good grab and go cookie for breakfast. Do you think Chia seeds could be added? I recently made some oatmeal, zucchini, carrot muffins with low sugar and like them for breakfast too.

6. Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily permalink
    March 17, 2014 9:49 pm

Breakfast cookies are always a winner in my book, love your version!

7. March 18, 2014 12:50 am

Yum, those look great. I get so jealous when everyone starts talking about spring break. Sigh

8. March 19, 2014 7:18 pm

Glad to see you back to blogging. These cookies look delicious!