Healthy Challenge Competition

February 18, 2014

The healthiest marriages are the ones that turn everything into a competition, right?  I think I read that somewhere.

I mean, Ryan and I don’t turn EVERYTHING into a competition.  Still, sometimes there’s nothing like a little healthy competition to kickstart motivation in a big way.

It started with the Fit Bit—first I got one, then Ryan got one, and then, obviously, the competition for who could get the most steps began.  I mean, Fit Bit practically begs you to compete with other Fit Bitters, posting the daily steps of everyone you know who has a Fit Bit to see who reaches the most each day.  As someone who tends to be a *little bit* on the competitive side—I love it.

So it was only natural that we turned our “who takes the most steps” competition into a very involved “Healthy Challenge” competition.  Right?  Right? It’s promoting a really healthy atmosphere around the house:

So here’s the deal.  We came up with a point system—some of which are activity-based, and some of which are food-based:

Healthiest Week Points System

1 serving veggies: 8 points

12 ounces water: 2 points

day without sweets (including baked goods and bars): 25 points

day without drinking: 10 points

a meal with at least 5 natural colors: 10 points

a meal with at least 5 fruits and/or veggies: 5 points

We’ve been logging our points at the end of each day in a spreadsheet, in which we can both see each other’s points as well:

image

Yep, it’s a little complicated.  But it’s also been really fun.  And, dare I say, it’s been getting us out of our “winter blahs” rut in a MAJOR way.  We’ve been eating way more fruits and veggies, and making an effort to get more and more steps in every day.  Sometimes you need a little shake-up, right?

We’re going to add up our points at the end of each week, and the winner gets *something*—we haven’t quite decided what yet, but it will probably involve sleeping in on the weekends while the other person gets up with the kiddo. Winking smile

Do you have any health challenges in mind to get ready for spring and summer?  Care to join us?!?  I can always add another person on the ol’ spreadsheet… Winking smile

1. February 19, 2014 1:41 am

hahaha. You guys are hilarious! I can’t wait to see who wins

2. February 20, 2014 2:37 am

I guess we’re on the same wavelength – last night I told Rob that we need to make a chart to track our fitness. Ha! Anyway, I love this. Will you add me, pretty please?

• February 21, 2014 12:49 pm

Yes!! I’ll have Ryan send you a link to the challenge spreadsheet– I think he should be able to just send it through your g-mail!

• February 21, 2014 6:56 pm

Yes, that would be great! Can’t wait!

3. Kristie permalink
    February 20, 2014 4:39 am

Umm, this is awesome and I’m pretty sure I can get my husband in on it. Might be what he and I both need to bust out of our winter rut! :)

• February 20, 2014 4:40 am

Except taking out things that are cruel like getting 8 hours of sleep a night when that hasn’t happened since my daughter was born 8 months ago. ;)

• February 21, 2014 12:48 pm

Haha…we rarely get the 8 hours one either. ;-)

• February 21, 2014 12:48 pm

Yes! We’ve really been loving it– perfect for shaking things up before spring hits!

4. February 23, 2014 5:42 pm

This is great! Dad and I are going to give it a try, just on our own. (I’ve got the 8 hours of sleep nailed!)

5. February 25, 2014 8:22 pm

If you get behind, you should make meals just for yourself. Or really get nasty and make yourself a veggie flatbread and make him chicken over potatoes or something!

6. March 8, 2014 1:05 am

OMG I love this. Is it terrible that I want to implement this with my boyfriend, but feel like i have no right to since we’re not married?