The Bon Appetit Project: Crispy Kale Salad

August 22, 2012

…with lime dressing.

Let it be said that the first time I typed this title, I typed out “Krispy Kale Salad,” and it took me about five minutes to find out why autocorrect was giving it the angry red scribble.  I guess I have donuts on the brain?

But back to the kale.  Right.

I think one reason I often find myself intimidated by Bon Appetit recipes is that they use some sort of never-before-seen ingredient as the star of the recipe.  Some of their recipes feature trendy, new-to-me food items that I find totally daunting.  Which is probably how many people still feel about kale.

But not me.

Some foods scare me.  But kale?  Kale does not.

Which is funny, because it essentially looks like strips of fresh dinosaur skin:

Yummy!

And so, having had some experience with cooking kale before, I figured this would be a good recipe to kick off the challenge with.  You know—aim low and what not.

And, I think I was right.  This recipe was easy to throw together.  It wasn’t really challenging at all—maybe a little time-consuming with all of the veggie prep—but even that only took about thirty minutes, tops.

And the dressing was as drink-from-a-bowl-worthy as it was simple to make.

I’m not going to post any of the recipes during this challenge, but you can find several of them on Bon Appetit’s site, including this one.

Along with the kale, I used radishes, carrots, pea sprouts, sunflower sprouts, and cilantro to give the salad tons of veggie crunch.

We served the salad with oven-roasted salmon:

..and you can’t tell me that isn’t an impressive presentation.  Pretty swanky for a Tuesday night!

The challenge is off to a good start.

Have a good one!

1. August 22, 2012 10:30 pm

Looks good to me! I love roasting up kale for salads.

2. August 23, 2012 12:04 am

I actually had salmon on top of kale for dinner on Monday night. Yours looks much better though!

3. August 23, 2012 1:36 am

VERY swanky for a Tuesday night…for any night! Beautiful presentation. I wish the husband was a fan of kale. Great first test recipe

4. August 23, 2012 1:44 am

That’s pretty fancy for any dinner at home! I love kale and I love kale chips, so I’m thinking this one would be a winner?! Looks really tasty!

5. August 23, 2012 2:38 am

Took me a few minutes, I couldn’t figure out what was wrong with Krispy Kale, apparently I need to go to bed.
    I will never be able to look at kale again without thinking of some poor dinosaur missing his skin ;)

6. jocelynmerkel permalink
    August 23, 2012 3:24 am

Apparently I have donuts on the brain, too. I read Krispy Kream salad before I realized what the title actually said. Ha! Add that one to your cookbook! ;)

7. August 23, 2012 10:58 am

Oh YUM!! Looks delicious. Nothing like some Krispy Dinosaur Skin ;)

8. August 23, 2012 12:46 pm

That is brilliant!!! I would have never thought to make a salad from cripsy kale! I love that idea!

9. August 23, 2012 4:10 pm

I like krispy with a k, tell spell check to get with it ;) And yes, kale kind of scares me… I can’t believe I still haven’t tried it.

10. ginger635 permalink
    August 23, 2012 5:23 pm

Looks delicious! I just printed out the recipe and can’t wait to try it!

11. August 24, 2012 1:26 am

A gorgeous presentation, indeed!! I really like kale but rarely crisp it up. Good call!