Changing Tastes

May 1, 2012

Morning, friends!

We went to bed around 11 last night, and I slept straight through until Lila woke up at 6:00 for a feeding (she also woke at 4:30, but Ryan took that one).  It’s amazing how getting a longer stretch of sleep can affect you—I feel great this morning!  Lila and Ryan are both still sleeping…which is the perfect opportunity for me to get a little blogging done.  :-)  I’m hoping this is the first night of many that she sleeps for a longer stretch.

Last night, we had another first: I cooked.  As in, didn’t eat something from the freezer.  As in, used fresh produce.  Crazy, right? ;-)

I put together this easy stir fry with kale, carrots, peas, asparagus, and tofu:

Not too shabby.  As nice as it’s been having meals ready-to-go from the freezer, I think we’re both excited to start eating some fresh dinners too…especially now that we’re trying to eat a little healthier.

It’s funny—my tastes have completely changed after the pregnancy.  It’s like the minute she popped out, all of the things I’d been craving—orange juice, red meat, no veggies—just disappeared.

Now, I find my taste heading back in the direction of its pre-pregnancy state.  Meat doesn’t sound nearly as tasty, and a big plate of veggies finally sounds good again (I was eating vegetables while pregnant, but they never really *appealed* to me like they usually do).  I don’t think we’ll ever go back to being full-on vegetarian, but we definitely tend to lean more towards meat-free meals in general.

It’s nice to feel my tastes returning to normal—I was happy to indulge in what my body was craving during pregnancy, but it felt kind of strange to be eating so much meat!

Have a great Tuesday! I’m turning grades in this morning, and then school is on my DUNZO list until August.  Woot.

1. May 1, 2012 12:46 pm

Yayyyy for home cookin :) Isn’t it funny- I don’t think I could go back full on veg again either. I think my body just FEELS better when I eat a little meat now and again.

2. May 1, 2012 1:01 pm

Congrats on being almost DUNZO. I am seeing Aziz Ansari in a couple weeks live! (Surprise for the hubby’s bday!)

3. May 1, 2012 1:13 pm

Dunzo…I wish I could use that word in relation to work for 3 months! Kinda jealous ;)
    So glad you got some decent sleep. That’s awesome that she’s already sleeping that long. We had friends over on Saturday and one has a 5 month old who is still waking up 4-5 times a night. I think she’s ready to commit herself.

4. May 1, 2012 2:18 pm

Oh wow – sounds like you really needed that solid sleep too! And I think I’d be the same way, happy to have had those easy meals, but ready for freshly made. The stir fry looks fantastic (as always)

5. mgutowsk permalink
    May 1, 2012 4:40 pm

Just when I think I have a favorite Parks and Rec character, another one does something I love. Andy? Tom? April? Ron? I just can’t pick!!!

6. May 1, 2012 5:46 pm

Kinda crazy how your tastes change like that. I really do believe it’s all about how your body is making the baby and the nutrients they need. It’s like you’re a completely different person and your body is completely not there for you anymore. Dinner looks perfect and I’m so glad you guys are getting some rest. It really does make all the difference in the world.

7. May 1, 2012 6:52 pm

Awesome looking meal…I think it’s so super important to listen to what your body wants and if it no longer wants those foods it probably doesn’t need them. And I learned in nutrition school and about the dangers of unfermented soy products on estrogen production but recently the scientific community debunked that one so eat on and I may try tofu again after years of no unfermented soy products!

8. May 1, 2012 8:30 pm

Meals not from the freezer = awesome! At least after you’ve been eating meals out of the freezer for weeks, haha. I know what you mean about tastes changing! This pregnancy my tastes changed like yours, eating way more meat, craving juice and not enjoying veggies so much. I’ve gone for a carrot straight out of the fridge more times in the last almost 2 weeks than I think I did the entire pregnancy, haha. So glad you’re getting some rest! It makes all the difference, doesn’t it?

9. May 2, 2012 12:28 am

I love simple stir-fries and this one looks fantastic! Vegetables aren’t something I crave now, and I’ve never been pregnant. Oops!

10. May 3, 2012 1:30 pm

That’s great that you got a good night’s sleep, that’s always such a mood booster for me. The tofu sounds wonderful, I adore stir fries and could probably live off them. :-)

11. May 4, 2012 11:12 am

Your taste changes are so fun for me to see – they really are changing with the needs of your body. Pregnancy is amazing! :) And that dinner…it looks pretty amazing too :) Glad everyone is getting some sleep!