Two Weeks Old!

April 22, 2012

Look who’s celebrating her two week birthday today!

What a party animal.  :-)

I can’t believe two weeks have already passed since we were holding her for the first time in our hospital room.  And yet, at the same time, that also feels like FOREVER ago—how was it only two weeks ago?  That seems to be one of the strange contradictions of having a newborn—sometimes it seems like time is flying, and other times it seems like each minute is barely inching around the clock.

Usually during the inching minutes, Lila looks like the opposite of this:

Which, unfortunately, is not all that unusual.  We’ve certainly had our fair share of struggles this week.  Lila still sleeps a lot (as you can see), which we’re grateful for.  However, when she’s up, there’s usually quite a bit of fussing going on, especially in the evenings. She seems to want to fuss for a few hours each night (and some mornings), which I know, I know—isn’t that bad.  I mean, she usually fusses for just a few hours and then is perfectly happy to sleep for the night (she wakes up once at 3 for a feeding, but then usually goes right back to sleep).

BUT.  Two hours is an awfully long time to listen to your baby cry.  And “cry” doesn’t really do it justice—she’s usually in an all-out wail, flailing her arms and crying real tears, while looking up at us with the most bewildered expression on her face.  Sometimes, she pulls her legs up to her stomach and grimaces in pain, which could mean gas and stomach pain.  But sometimes, she just kind of seems miserable for no reason that we can find.

It turns out having a baby is hard.

We’re trying to stay sane—passing her off to each other regularly helps.  One of us stays with Lila and tries to soothe her as best we can, while the other takes a shower, lays in bed—just relaxes a little before the next shift is up.

I don’t want this to be a Debbie Downer post—even with the fussy evenings, inexplicable tears, and meltdowns from all three of us, we’re crazy in love with this baby.  But, I think we’re both looking forward to a time when we can read her signals a little more easily, and when the three of us know each other a little better.  I have to remember that even though we’ve “known” Lila for over nine months, she’s still a relative stranger to us, as we are to her.  I know it’s going to take a while to build the level of comfort and security that we want (and need) to have with her.  She won’t be a newborn forever, and even though this time is tough, I’m trying to take each day at a time and appreciate each moment—even the fussy ones.

Happy two week birthday, little miss!

1. April 22, 2012 2:06 pm

Happy 2 weeks!

2. April 22, 2012 2:23 pm

Happy two weeks to the peanut! Having a baby definitely has its ups and downs….luckily the ups are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more important and lovely than the downs. Hang in there!

3. April 22, 2012 3:31 pm

The early days, the first 2 to 4 weeks are some of the hardest weeks of your entire life and I remember the crying and not knowing what to do to make it all better and all you can do is your best and just do whatever you can or need to do to get through this. It DOES get easier and you’re a fabulous mama!

4. April 22, 2012 3:52 pm

Congratulations on the baby! She is so precious. I’m a longtime reader and love your writing style (and have been so excited about the baby!). Have you heard of ‘Happiest Baby on the Block’? I prefer the DVD (or videos on YouTube) over the book… but they talk about how the baby is still in her “4th trimester” and they give you concrete tools to help sooth her (and help simulate the womb). Maybe you’ve already looked into it, but just in case – it might be worth a shot. Either way, it sounds like you an INCREDIBLE parent.

• April 22, 2012 4:16 pm

Thanks Laura Ann! Yep, we have the book– but I think we might need to check out the DVD as well; people seem to really like it. We’ve been *trying* to use the 5 s’s…but it can be hard to remember to do in the heat of the moment when she’s screaming her head off, haha!! :-)

5. lmkrabbenhoft permalink
    April 22, 2012 5:41 pm

Have you tried singing to her? I know from my early childhood education classes that the sound a baby most wants to hear is its mother’s voice. In utero, your voice traveled to her through your bones and is one of the strongest connections she has to you. Babies enjoy their dad’s voice too, but the mother’s voice is what they find most comforting. It might sound simple (and you’ve probably already tried it), but singing her lullabies may help a bit. Especially if you can keep your voice calm while you sing. Thank you for sharing your parenting journey!

• April 22, 2012 5:50 pm

I just sang her to sleep for her nap, actually :-) It seems to work REALLY well for her daytime sleeping…but at night, she gets herself so worked up that I don’t know if she can even hear us when we sing, ha. I should try it for a while longer the next time she’s really fussy.

6. April 22, 2012 6:20 pm

awww sorry to hear about her crying. My niece did that so I know exactly what you mean – non-stop, full on wailing. It’s so hard to hear b/c you can’t do anything really. Kind ofmakes you feel helpless. At least she’s a good sleeper otherwise.

7. Lee Peterson permalink
    April 22, 2012 10:30 pm

Happy two weeks! More advice…Esmee had her witching hour(s) as well. Mostly you ride them out how you can, but we found that holding her whilst bouncing on a big exercise ball worked well–and you get some nice core work at the same time! Bon chance! xx

8. April 22, 2012 11:54 pm

Happy birthday Lila!! Even if she’s a wailer, I’m sure she’s so cute when she does it :)

9. April 23, 2012 2:00 am

Hang in there Anna. I am thinking about you! :)

10. April 23, 2012 2:12 am

It sounds like you three are trying really hard and working like a family. Trust me, these times will pass. Keep your chin up. Having babies is great, but also hard and scary. Try to relax as best you can and just cuddle. Keep your chin up Anna! You’re both doing a great job! Many hugs to you!

11. April 23, 2012 3:01 am

Happy two weeks! Thinking of you in the days to come. She is precious (even when she is crying, I am sure)

12. April 23, 2012 10:24 am

Happy two weeks to the little one! I love your honesty about things…although not a mother myself I am sure you are helping a lot of new moms. And bonne chance!

13. Ali permalink
    April 23, 2012 12:58 pm

It gets better! It really does… oh, those witching hours! They are ROUGH! But you guys will get through it! She is a doll – I love all the pictures. Take care!

14. April 23, 2012 7:56 pm

You guys look like you’re doing well, and she is an absolute doll!!!

I wanted to recommend a book I just started reading called “Bringing Up Bebe”. I realize it’s a book, and advice often goes so far, but the premise of the book and the chapter on sleeping through the nights really intrigues me. I think it’s worth a try (I just don’t have kids to try it on yet) :-) In any case, it’s an entertaining read.

Good luck with everything!!!

• April 23, 2012 10:08 pm

Ah! I just read that book before Lila was born, and my husband is reading it now! I really enjoyed it– although it kind of made me want to move to France to raise our child :-)

15. April 27, 2012 3:52 pm

I came to the same realization….it turns out that having a baby is SO hard.

Love the honesty Anna. Just know that it gets SO much better, very quickly. And for what it’s worth I think you are handling everything phenomenally.