Granola Cookies

April 17, 2012

Hi friends! Happy Tuesday!

We had an interesting night last night—Lila was SUPER fussy from about 5:30 to 7:30, but then she settled down, and by the time we were ready for bed at 10:30, she was happy as a clam.  She slept from 10:30 to 3, and 3 to 6.  I hope this schedule sticks—I’d love to have her “witching hour” fall early in the evening, as opposed to late at night (or, eek, in the middle of the night).

Yesterday, we tried out a major piece of baby gear:

The ergo carrier! I have an ergo carrier and a moby wrap.  We tried the moby wrap over the weekend, but she still felt kind of small for it—I was worried that she wasn’t getting enough air! We’ll give it a go again soon…but for right now, the Ergo is working great!  As soon as we got her into it, she passed out:

DSC_0010 DSC_0013

…and stayed passed out for the entire time we were baking, plus a walk that we went on.  Not too shabby!

My mom and I made these granola cookies to take to the hospital and my doctor’s office as a thank you for all their help.  We made a LARGE recipe of dough, but you could obviously half it.  These cookies kind of fall into the “just throw whatever you want into the dough”-type recipe…and they turned out delicious.

Granola Cookies

5 cups granola (we used Nature’s Path Flax Plus—so good)

1 cup coconut

1 cup chopped pecans

1/2 cup raisins

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1/2 cup crushed potato chips (if you omit this, up the salt to 1/2 tsp)

2/3 cup ground flax

3.5 sticks butter

1.5 cups light brown sugar

1/2 cup granulated sugar

2 eggs

1/4 tsp. salt

2 cups all purpose flour

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 375.

In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients from granola through flax.

In a standing mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugars until fluffy.  Add eggs.  Add flour slowly until combined.  With a large spoon or spatula, fold in granola mix until well-combined.  Dough will be very thick.

Drop by the tsp. onto a non-stick baking sheet.  Bake for 10-12 minutes, until starting to turn golden.  Allow to rest on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before removing.

So good!  Great texture from the granola and all the add-ins, plus that nice mixture of salty and sweet from the chips.  Love it.

Hope you have a great Tuesday! We’re going to try to clean up this messy house a bit, and then I’m meeting with students for conferences later today.  Can’t believe it’s back to the grind already—but there are only a few weeks left in the semester.  I’ll be GLAD for summer!!

Have a great one!

1. April 17, 2012 1:46 pm

I love the potato chips in these, so fun! For a one week old (or so) baby, that sounds like a pretty good sleep pattern, hope she keeps it up! :)

2. April 17, 2012 1:50 pm

Love everything granola cookies! You can never go wrong with them. Love those cuddly carriers. I miss those days since my oldest is now as tall as me! Enjoy your cuddles Anna!

3. April 17, 2012 1:56 pm

The cookies look fantastic! Those carriers ROCK! The wrap always freaked me out…I just ended up not using mine

4. April 17, 2012 2:13 pm

Aw, she’s so adorable!! And those cookies look incredible!!

5. April 17, 2012 2:57 pm

that’s good to read about the ergo – it’s funny though, we felt the opposite about that vs. the moby (we have both). i felt like wes was too small for the ergo, but he loves the moby. well, that is til he got huge overnight. :)

6. April 17, 2012 3:58 pm

I can’t even believe you’re back in the kitchen…already! WOW!

7. April 17, 2012 4:54 pm

How sweet! Lila is beautiful!

8. April 17, 2012 5:08 pm

Everything but the kitchen sink in those cookies!

9. April 17, 2012 5:11 pm

Yum – those sound delicious! How sweet are you girls taking treats to the special medical peeps that helped with your delivery. I’m sure they are going to love you for that thoughtful gesture.

10. April 17, 2012 7:21 pm

i could use some of those cookies right now! they look delish! and you and lila fit perfectly together!

11. Jane Olsan permalink
    April 17, 2012 10:20 pm

Bring her to Shreveport! I’m dying to get my hands on her. She is absolutely adorable.

12. April 17, 2012 11:58 pm

Um fantastic looking cookies. I’m hungry and could go for one right now thankyouverymuch! That’s great that she slept the whole cooking time too. So from now on you bake?

13. April 18, 2012 2:13 am

Love the ergo carrier, cute pics! And I agree that’s pretty awesome that you’re back in the kitchen so soon! The cookies look great!

14. April 18, 2012 11:24 am

OH YUM!! I’m talking about that ergo carrier. I want it. haha. When I’m at work I see women shopping with those things all the time (and their baby is sound asleep and I get so jealous…of the baby!).
    The cookies sound great. I made no-bake cookies with granola the other day, and the recipe was actually really similar. This one sounds mighty tasty too!

15. April 18, 2012 11:17 pm

Baby carriers to the rescue! I had a peanut shell sling with my youngest and he lived in that thing and kept safe from the other two kids ;)

16. April 19, 2012 9:34 am

A great recipe. Thank you for sharing.
    Yes, those baby carriers sure are a rescue :)

17. April 20, 2012 9:28 am

Mmmm these are going in my “to cook” list…And you are really beautiful by the way