Spring Salad

March 20, 2012

Hi friends!  Happy Tuesday!

Normally, we’d be on our way to the doctor right now, but our appointment got pushed back to Friday, so we have the morning free.  I’m actually disappointed—I’d really like to know if I’ve made any more progress!  Oh well…soon enough.

Our first day of spring break was spend in hell at Kids Market, a twice-yearly giant consignment sale for baby and children’s goods.  They have everything from clothes to toys to strollers to breast pumps…they have EVERYTHING.  And it’s all cheap, too, and in good condition, which is not always the case with sales like that.

BUT.

There is a catch.  The market runs for two weeks, and obviously the earlier you go, the less picked-over it is.  Yesterday was the first day, so we decided to brave the crowds, just in case we don’t have time to go later this week.

Ummmm…bad idea.

After shopping for about 45 minutes, we waited in line for another hour and forty-five minutes!!! I snapped this picture about halfway through:

image

This was about the point when I was thinking about faking labor just to cut through the line, but I wasn’t sure if they’d still let us buy our stuff if I tried that one.  :-)

I don’t believe in hell, but if there happens to be one, the line at Kids Market is sure to be a part of mine.  God help me.

But….we definitely came away with some good stuff, so I guess it was all worth it!  Right, Ryan? Right?!?

Poor guy.

We got some really cute clothes, like this seersucker whale dress, complete with sun bonnet:

Lila will be taking her first trip to Nantucket this summer—how perfect is this dress?  I know you must be sick of me posting baby clothes on here, but really—these baby dresses just don’t get much cuter.  Can you tell I’m excited we’re having a girl? ;-)

By the time we got home, it was almost time to head out again—we were invited to a barbeque with friends last night, and needed to throw together a quick side dish.

Enter the strawberry salad:

image

image

image

For this easy, refreshing side, I combined baby romaine, fresh strawberries, goat cheese, and barely-cooked asparagus.  So simple, and so delicious.

The asparagus was boiled for about 2 minutes in salted water to take some of the “grassy” flavor off, and then dunked in an ice bath:

…which helps it to stay crunchy and bright.

image

Very tasty!

I have to do some long grading this morning for my online classes…ugh.  But, it will be nice to get it out of the way.

Have a great Tuesday!

1. March 20, 2012 2:08 pm

Wow, this looks fresh and delicious! I’ve been eating asparagus all winter but something about it finally being spring makes me want to eat more!

2. March 20, 2012 2:09 pm

YUMMMMMMMMMMM! That salad looks awesome. Great combination of ingredients. That sale does sound semi scary. Glad y’all made it out :)

3. March 20, 2012 2:58 pm

Oh my gosh that dress is so cute! I love having boys, but dressing them is just not the same as dressing girls. Max hated overalls and really little boys were meant for them! I can’t wait to see her in that little dress.

That salad looks perfect for the first day of spring! I hope you have a great afternoon!

4. March 20, 2012 3:15 pm

Ok, I really need that salad. Looks fantastic. We have those events here (there are a couple of them) and I just couldn’t imagine battling all those women and then waiting. I’m not patient.

5. Marcee permalink
    March 20, 2012 3:17 pm

Strawberry salads …. our favs!

So wonderful w/fresh spinach, cukes, green onions, and everything else healthy you can find in a fridge. Toss in a huge bowl …. sprinkle w/your best simple salad dressing ….. chow down!! A few sliced hard-boiled adds protein + great flavors.

Anna …. I love when you post about baby clothes! Boy or girl …. doesn’t matter. There are super-cute things for the bebe boys too. When my niece had twins …. dressing (+ buying!) them outfits was totally fun!

The little gingham dress + hat is adorable! Love the pink blanket. So nice. Looks cozy.

6. March 20, 2012 4:03 pm

Everyday I check your blog I wonder if it is going to be telling me that Lila is here!!!

7. March 20, 2012 4:50 pm

I love this salad combo – adding asparagus is new to me but I’m for sure going to be bringing it to our next potluck!

8. March 20, 2012 6:40 pm

This is probably really weird, but when I saw the asparagus in the ice bath, I thought the ice cubes were rambutan…this Asian fruit I sometimes buy when I find myself in an Asian market. Not as awesome as lychee in flavor, but look cooler in their original form (kind of like Chuckie from Rugrats hair actually). The weird thing is not that my mind went to rambutan, but that I actually contemplated that pairing as being a GOOD one. :)

Embroidery + babies = necessary. VERY necessary.

• March 20, 2012 6:45 pm

I believe this is the very comment on this blog where someone has referenced Chuckie from Rugrats. Thank you for that :-)

• March 20, 2012 6:45 pm

*very FIRST

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Anna Weber wrote:

> I believe this is the very comment on this blog where someone has > referenced Chuckie from Rugrats. Thank you for that :-) > >

9. March 21, 2012 3:59 am

If there aren’t celebrity gossip magazines in the sides of the aisles, I’m not so good at waiting in line! This salad looks fantastic though :) I’m loving strawberries lately!

10. March 21, 2012 1:20 pm

Yikes, kids market does sound like hell, not sure my hubby would be so patient in it! The salad sounds wonderful and I’m getting so excited for Lila’s arrival!

11. ginger635 permalink
    March 21, 2012 10:27 pm

That little dress and hat will be perfect for Nantucket! So cute!! And, I can’t wait to try that salad – it looks delicious!

12. March 30, 2012 5:44 am

I love the colors! the salad looks really fresh and delicious