Calling All Designers: HELP!!!

December 14, 2011

Hi friends!

Thanks for your kind words about our babymoon—it was the best! We had a blast in Charleston, and I was really sad to have to go.  It made me realize that one trip to Charleston every six years is NOT okay—we need to be going back at least once or twice a year! We’ll see what happens, once the baby comes.  ;-)

We got home on Monday evening, and spent yesterday…moving!

Not moving houses…thank the good lord.  I don’t think I can handle another move just quite yet.

We were moving offices.  Ryan moved into my office, I moved my office into the guest room, and now Ryan’s old office is ready to be…

nursery-fied!!!

The only problem?

I’m completely freaking out about what to do for the nursery.  I’m not sure why—after all, the nursery is arguably the least important part of this whole process.  The baby doesn’t care what the nursery looks like.  But for whatever reason, my mind has gotten stuck on this part of the nesting process, and I cannot for the life of me decide how to decorate the nursery.

Color schemes?  Themes?  Crib bedding?  Wall art?

I can’t decide on any of it.

The walls are a kind of dove-gray right now.  We’re not opposed to painting…but I don’t know what color I want to paint.

I’m not huge on girl nurseries that have an overdose of pink.  I’m thinking yellow or green instead, with a few pink accents.

One big step we finally took?  We picked out furniture yesterday.  That’s the good news.  The bad news is that it’s pretty much just a vintage-y looking white set of girl furniture (a crib, a dresser, and a changing table), so it still isn’t giving me much direction in terms of everything else in the room.

I picked out the glider I want to get, but I don’t want to choose a fabric until we know colors.

Arghghghg.

Are there any interior designers out there who want to come design a nursery? I’ll bake you lots and lots of cookies.

All you artistic types– any thoughts?  All you mamas out there– any website recommendations for nursery decor and ideas?

I want to get it done soon, so I just need to bite the bullet and go for it.

Easier said than done!

1. December 14, 2011 2:20 pm

I’m the worst person to ask for decorating but I kinda like the gray as the wall color with pink accents. I’m not big into girl colors, in fact I still hate pink but I think that would be subtle :) Good luck with whatever route you go. The baby won’t judge :)

2. Erin permalink
    December 14, 2011 2:45 pm

I agree with Gina here. My first thought when you said “grey walls” was to combine that with pink, like a nice subtle pink not the really bright pepto bismol pink that seems to be in these days. If you really don’t want pink, I’ve seen yellow be paired a lot with grey, so that would be another option. Mint green or turquoise blue could be interesting as well. But, like Gina says, she’s not going to care! The only thing I’ve really liked as far as furniture goes are those cribs that are designed to grow with baby….become a toddler bed when it’s time, then a headboard when it’s that time. Good luck!

• December 14, 2011 3:36 pm

Yes, I’ve thought about that gray and yellow pairing– I think that can be really pretty!

The crib that we’re getting is one of those “born to grow” cribs– hopefully it can take her all the way through her teen years!!

3. December 14, 2011 2:52 pm

I love the idea of grey and pink together, too. But that room is beautiful as is, truly! :)

4. December 14, 2011 2:56 pm

Anna, I totally understand your predicament. We actually found a lot of inspiration through Pottery Barn Kids (though we didn’t really buy that much from that store). We decided on a butterfly and flowers theme, though we interpreted that idea really loosely. The theme is based on her name: we turned Marisol into Mariposa, which, in Spanish is butterfly and that is one of her pet names. While we do have quite a bit of pink, our colors are green, pink, and yellow, with a dash of blue. Our walls are a really soft yellow, furniture is white and is a mixture of vintage and new, and the soft stuff is green or pink. We think her room is the best in the house! That said, I also love the combo of grey and yellow. I suggest looking at etsy shops for design (and fabric) inspiration.

5. December 14, 2011 3:29 pm

deep breaths.

and just keep it simple, modern, neutral. You will be spending a RIDIC amt of time in there nursing, being with baby, and so pick something that is easy on the eyes, that soothes YOU, that calms you.

And also pick things based on comfort and functionality, not just on how they look. The chair you choose is of utmost importance. You will be spending hundreds/thousands of hours in it. Sit on about a jillion before you choose. I bought like the third one I sat in. Mistake. Ended up having to buy another one!

• December 14, 2011 3:34 pm

Yes– I spent a LOT of time testing chairs yesterday!! I think I found one that I could possibly live in for the rest of my life :-)

6. December 14, 2011 3:44 pm

Loving some of the ideas mentioned about gray with either pinks and blanks (maybe kind of retro) or even with yellow and white.

7. Amye permalink
    December 14, 2011 4:27 pm

I have a little boy but if I ever have a little girl I’d want red instead of pink! Don’t really care too much for pink. I was thinking red ladybugs. I ordered my son’s farm animal bedding, wall decor, mobile, etc. as a set from JCPenneys.

8. Marcee permalink
    December 14, 2011 5:03 pm

Not to worry Anna ….. help has arrived! Luckily, I am a designer …. but, kinda retired. Graduated from Ray-College of Design some years back. It can be like riding a bike though ….. HA!

Firstly, design is often really personal. You also must see your baby first. To make other decisions along the way. Start simple …. then gradually add other treasures for baby!

My favs = old pieces of furniture …. wooden toys ….. world globes ….. fun colored cars. Boys and girls love cars. You can buy pink ones!

Hey ….. great floors! Also window coverings! Simple + sweet.

FYI folks …. DO NOT INSTALL CARPETING IN ANY INFANT/CHILDS ROOM. Always remove existing carpets. Tons of chemicals. Carpeting = germs.

Always use (washable!) area rugs. I love white. They open things up.

Okay Anna …. my other suggestion …. go to http://www.ohdeedoh.com

There are a lot of wonderful ideas on this site. ENJOY!

9. December 14, 2011 5:05 pm

I am a big fan of green and pink. Those colors work really well together. My bridesmaid dresses were a sage green color with cream sashes and then they carried pale pink peonies. It all tied together very nicely.

• Marcee ... CHICAGO permalink
      December 14, 2011 5:13 pm

Wonderful. Just love these color combos together. Great stylin Kelly!

10. Marcee ... CHICAGO permalink
    December 14, 2011 5:11 pm

Ooops. Oh. Forgot to add the P.S. ….. !

Sure Anna …. YES! Please. You can definitely bake me lots and lots of holiday cookies!

Thanky ….. I accept. Ha.

11. December 14, 2011 6:15 pm

Anna,

There is TONS of adorable wall-art for nurseries and kids rooms on Etsy… not that I’ve been longingly looking or anything. :) I am totally going to buy some from here when I have a baby: http://www.etsy.com/shop/theaterclouds. I want to go with a whole fairytale/dream concept.
    I also like: http://www.etsy.com/shop/artandphilanthropy. If anything, surfing through Etsy is an addictive way to spend an afternoon, especially when looking at all the adorable handmade/custom baby stuff. I’d say find one thing for the baby’s room that you absolutely LOVE, like a print, a mobile, a vinyl wall sticker, a blanket, then use the colors that item suggests and go from there. Build up from something small (gee, that sounds like something I’d say, huh?) rather than thinking big to start. Don’t forget you can easily have window treatments, bedding, etc. made, so you could go to the fabric store for inspiration too.

Sounds like I’ve been thinking about this too much. I guess that clock is ticking.

• December 14, 2011 6:56 pm

Haha…I’ve been scrolling through Etsy OBSESSIVELY…instead of creating my syllabus for next semester. I just ordered a really sweet vintage fabric bird mobile that I think will provide some direction for the rest of the room– you’re exactly right on the “start small” and then go from there idea.

12. December 14, 2011 6:39 pm

A beige with a pink hue would warm your space and provide the calming effect of pink without being blatant. There are so many options in baby decor now that don’t rely on the stereotypical pink/blue themes.

13. December 14, 2011 6:48 pm

Agreed on pink, too over done for a girl’s room. I’d go with a light key lime green since it’s light, airy, cheerful, and not too bright.

14. December 14, 2011 7:30 pm

Such good comments! First, I love the grey walls and think that color would look so pretty paired with a pale yellow. That, with the white furniture you have ordered is a good start. I agree that you don’t have to do it all right away. Do a few things and live with the room and I think it will come together. You’re a “vintagy” girl and I could see you going in that direction, which would be pretty and fun. Very exciting times!!!

15. December 14, 2011 10:32 pm

My 7 year old’s room is brown and pink, I love that combo! Not too girly, but still cute :)

16. December 15, 2011 2:28 am

You two have incredible taste. I love your style and I know you will do a beautiful room! I can’t wait to see what you come up with.

17. Elyssa permalink
    December 15, 2011 1:38 pm

Some great ideas here, but I wanted to add a few places for inspiration. Can’t remember if we’ve talked about them before, but I really like Young House Love’s style, and their nursery feels both fresh AND vintage-y. Maybe something will strike you! Good luck, and I’m sure it’s going to be beautiful…you have fantastic taste!

More on the wall art: http://www.younghouselove.com/2011/11/nursery-art-expansion/
    More inspiration! http://gallery.younghouselove.com/category/baby-kid/

18. December 16, 2011 3:58 am

One of my close friends just had a baby and her nursery is pink and grey. She found a fabric in her color scheme and used it to make curtains and even pulled a few pieces of it over corkboard to create diy bulletin boards. It turned out adorable. She also repurposed Ikea spice racks into bookshelves…just little individual ones hung throughout the room.

19. December 16, 2011 3:57 pm

One of my favorite combinations is light gray and mustard yellow. I’m not sure how well that would go with pink, but I think that if you were looking for something a little bit different maybe instead of using pink paint you can just accessorize with pink. We just did a house that I chose a gray and harbor blue color scheme, they loved it. Gray is the new pink :-).

Congrats again – feel free to e-mail me if you need anymore design advice!

20. greensandjeans permalink
    December 16, 2011 8:37 pm

I actually sort of love the color that you have now! Just accent it with other things!