Simple Almond Cookies

November 30, 2011

You know how there are certain beauty products you just want to eat?

Don’t act like you don’t know what I’m talking about.  I’ve seen you sniffing the suntan lotion bottle just a *little* too deeply.

Anyway, I’m like that with anything almond-scented—almond-scented lotions, shampoos, bath gel…they all make me swoon.  Actually, they all make me want to take a nice, long glug from their bottles.

At the ripe old age of 28, I’m finally figuring out that I don’t have to drink shampoo to get that flavor—I can bake with almond extract instead!!

Life changing.

Yesterday, I whipped up some easy almond cookies using almond extract, plus a can of almond paste I had on hand.  I made a similar vegan version of these cookies last year, if that’s the way your cookie crumbles.  If you’re an almond lover, you’ll LOVE either version of this cookie.  Plus, they look like cute little snowballs! Plus PLUS, they only have 60 calories a pop!!

Now…step away from the shampoo bottle…

Snowy Almond Cookies

1/2 cup almond paste

1 egg

1/2 cup sugar

1 stick butter

2 tsp. almond extract

1 1/2 cups flour

1 tbsp. cornstarch

powdered sugar for decoration

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350

Cream together almond paste, egg, sugar, butter, and almond extract until smooth and fluffy.  In small increments, add the flour and cornstarch, mixing between add-ins.  Mix until smooth.

Roll dough into small balls (about the size of a teaspoon) with your hands, then place on a non-stick baking sheet.

Bake for 7-8 minutes.  Once cookies have cooled completely, dust with powdered sugar.

Enjoy!

My batch made 42 cookies—that’s a LOT of cookies!!

Pre-baking:

Post-baking, pre-powdered sugar:

And finally:

Much tastier than any bath gel I’ve tried.  :-)

1. November 30, 2011 2:17 pm

Oooh…these remind me of a cookie that my grandmother would make every Christmas…they tasted delicious…I need to make them!

2. November 30, 2011 2:43 pm

LOL – bath gels never taste like they smell ;-)

3. November 30, 2011 2:54 pm

Yum! I love almond paste and extract. When I studied abroad in Spain I ate a ridiculous amount of marzipan because of this love of almond. That stuff was everywhere over there!

4. November 30, 2011 4:04 pm

I used to feel that way about Chapstick. :P

I just scrolled down and saw your baby bump – congrats! It does *not* look like a beer belly! I think pregnant people look so adorable. :)

I don’t know if you can do the whole new food thing right now (does pregnancy make a lot of food aversions?) but if you can, I’d love it if you join me for NaNeFoMo! You can pick up the button over at my blog. :)

5. November 30, 2011 4:36 pm

When I was a little kid, I tasted this banana shampoo that I had because it smelled so delicious. Unfortunately, the taste was not quite as nice.

6. November 30, 2011 4:38 pm

Yummm, those look so good(and cute!) I wonder if I can use whole wheat flour… I may have to try them, I looooove that almond flavor too. I don’t know if I mentioned it but I tried your accidental dough balls with some different add-ins(I think I used raisins, white and semi sweet chocolate chips and walnuts) and they were awesome. Loved them :D

• November 30, 2011 4:50 pm

I’m sure your could use whole wheat flour! Or, I’m a big fan of spelt flour in baking for cookies! Glad the dough balls worked for you!

7. November 30, 2011 4:55 pm

haha- I TOTALLY know what you’re talking about ;). These sound fantastic. And they are super pretty & festive!

8. November 30, 2011 6:13 pm

Mmmmm…I’ll take a dozen please. You know, for the baby ;)

9. November 30, 2011 7:00 pm

Looks delicious! I want to eat my lemon body butter on a daily basis. I also wanted to eat the bath and body works apple lotion if I could. Completely normal behavior, yes?

10. November 30, 2011 8:14 pm

I am DEFINITELY making these. I actually hate nuts, including almonds, but adore PB and almond extract. My mom adds almond extract to her butter cookies at Christmas!

11. November 30, 2011 11:30 pm

So true on almond scent! And the Yankee Candle sugar cookie scent. :-) The cookies look fabulous, I need to try the vegan version!

12. December 1, 2011 2:09 am

Pretty! I like the first picture with the dough balls. ;)