Back In the Kitchen

November 28, 2011

I imagine if you ask most people where they’d want to be on the Saturday afternoon after Thanksgiving, “Back in the kitchen” would be pretty low on the list, right after “Anywhere near a Best Buy.”  Seriously people—pepper spray for a flat screen?

But, on Saturday afternoon, that’s exactly where I found myself—and I was actually happy to be there!  When you’re an out-of-town “guest” for the holidays, sometimes you don’t get to do much of the cooking.  Ryan make green bean casserole for our Thursday feast, but I lifted nary a spoon or spatula—I didn’t cook anything!  It certainly cuts back on the stress of the holiday when your only job is to show up and eat…but by Saturday, I was missing my time in the kitchen!

Luckily, I had a good excuse to get into the kitchen and get my hands dirty:

A baby! No, not our baby…although, I must point out—doesn’t my bump look bigger?!?  I think it doubled in size this week! And I’m sure that has nothing to do with the three slices of pumpkin pie, two bowls of gumbo, and massive moist-maker sandwich (Ross Gellar really knows his stuff) that I consumed over the course of merely three days.  Obviously Baby Girl Weber just went through a natural growth spurt, right?

Anyway…back to the baby.  My friend Ellen gave birth to a precious baby girl, Mae Martin, right before Thanksgiving:

…so of course we wanted to bring them some food!  I pulled out one of my mom’s Junior League cookbooks (you really can’t beat those), and spent the afternoon cooking up creamy chicken lasagna:

…and apple butternut squash soup:

…while my sous chef waited patiently for any food that fell to the floor:

Congrats to Ellen, Dillon, and Mae Martin!

Hope you have a great Monday!

1. November 28, 2011 3:19 pm

That bump is in full force – you look great! It was strangely nice to get in the kitchen again this weekend for me as well!

2. November 28, 2011 3:32 pm

Your baby bump did grow! You look so cute :)

3. November 28, 2011 3:38 pm

The bump is definitely bigger! You look great and so does that chicken lasagna! ;)

4. November 28, 2011 4:15 pm

awwww! Congrats to your friends!!!! Your bump looks awesome! And I totally want that soup

5. November 28, 2011 6:22 pm

I feel like I haven’t left the kitchen or stopped washing dishes….that soup looks and sounds perfect right about now.

6. November 28, 2011 9:04 pm

That creamy chicken lasagna looks incredible! Yum!

7. November 28, 2011 10:03 pm

You totally have that adorable bump now! Congrats and thank you for the sweet comment on my blog!

8. Kev permalink
    November 28, 2011 10:24 pm

Holy shit you popped!

9. November 28, 2011 11:51 pm

cooking for a new mom is one of the best ways to help! I always loved that help. And i was gonna say you popped a bit more. You look so great! :)

10. November 28, 2011 11:58 pm

I love the kitchen…it’s so shiny and sparkly and stainless. Love.

You look adorable :)

11. November 29, 2011 2:07 am

Congrats to your friend. She is precious! You look amazing and I’m loving the baby bump! You wear it well Anna!

12. aunt nita permalink
    November 29, 2011 3:35 am

You look absolutely adorable! It’s wonderful to take yummy comfort food to new moms and dads!

13. November 29, 2011 12:25 pm

Yep, the baby bump has grown!! And if I’m not mistaken, so have your boobs (haha, if anyone reads this they are going to think I’m crazy, BUT I’m just trying to put a smile on your face after that last post!)
    I’m glad you had a nice Thanksgiving, and congrats to your friend! What a fantastic meal you have created them. It all sounds wonderful.

• November 29, 2011 2:01 pm

Hahaha…the boobs are an illusion. But that did put a smile on my face :-)

14. November 29, 2011 1:01 pm

The bump looks so adorable!!

15. greensandjeans permalink
    November 29, 2011 1:39 pm

You are so adorable! I just saw a picture of Hilary Duff and it seems like you guys have similar sized bumps. Pop culture references totally work for pregnancy too.

• November 29, 2011 2:01 pm

I need to get myself a yellow sequined maternity dress. :-)

16. November 30, 2011 4:07 am

Look at your belly! I love it. One of my favorite preggo photos is me in an apron helping my grandma to make strawberry jam. Our little ones will certainly eat well! Miss you guys.

17. November 30, 2011 2:16 pm

Your bump did grow, and you look fantastic, even in comfy cooking clothes. Further proof that there is just never any excuse for looking like a hag. :)

I didn’t know what Junior League was until I moved South, but from what you’ve written and the photos that’ve been posted, I’m not surprised Ginger was a member — I’m surprised you weren’t! (Or were you …)