Blackstrap Morning

November 12, 2011

Gooooood morning!  Before I get to breakfast, I just want to say THANK YOU for all of your comments—we’re thrilled about Baby Girl Weber.  Knowing the sex of the baby makes everything seem suddenly more real…and more expensive, ha.  There is a lot of cute baby girl stuff out there, folks.  I’m going to have to place a limit on my spending, or else I might blow Baby Girl Weber’s entire savings on ruffled bloomers.

Now.  Breakfast.

I know what you’re thinking—a morning post?!  On this blog?!

Our breakfasts are usually pretty boring around here—bowls of cereal…smoothies…peanut butter toast.  That about covers it.

Usually we’re too tired:

…to make anything too complicated. You understand, right?

But, this morning, our breakfast was too pretty not to post about.  We started with pancake mix:

and then added 1 tsp. ground ginger and 1 tbsp. blackstrap molasses:

…to build in a gingerbread flavor.

Topped with bananas, Greek yogurt, more molasses (good iron for baby!), and walnuts:

This breakfast took about 30 minutes longer to make than our usual weekday routine breakfasts…but it was worth it!

Have a great Saturday!

1. November 12, 2011 3:51 pm

Yum :) Pancake breakfasts are always worth it in the end. I’ve been wanting to try that Kodiak mix forever!

• November 12, 2011 3:59 pm

Me too– I always see it on Kath’s blog :-) It was really good and easy to use!

2. patti permalink
    November 12, 2011 4:30 pm

Yum, that looks so good. Lynn is the pancake expert at our house. The molasses reminds me of my dad – he would buy a case from a guy who drove through the state. (good blackstrap was hard to find in Washington state:) ) I always like it on biscuits too.
    Enjoy your weekend.

3. November 12, 2011 5:56 pm

Yum! I love the flavor that blackstrap molasses gives things

4. November 12, 2011 9:22 pm

Did you know that blackstrap molasses is one of the highest sources of plant-based (and a more useable form) of iron that exists? As a pregnant lady, that is pretty awesome that you just happened to make these w/ blackstrap molasses. Beets and blackstrap are two big ones. And tahini for calcium or sesame seeds. I’ll stop with the random factoids.

The pancakes look..amazing!!!!

5. November 12, 2011 10:52 pm

I need to use molasses more often. Those looks really great.

6. November 13, 2011 12:13 am

Now that is a reason to get out of bed in the morning! YUM! I LOVE molasses!

7. November 13, 2011 2:28 am

Wow, breakfast looks amazing! Mine aren’t usually anything special to post about either, something I need to change on weekends.

8. November 13, 2011 3:19 am

Those look….so good!!!

9. November 13, 2011 7:52 pm

i am craving pancakes now! love blackstrap molasses

10. November 13, 2011 11:35 pm

Congratulations on the baby girl — sorry if I’m a little late!!!

I love making time for one special breakfast every weekend – it feels a little indulgent and gives us time to just ‘hang out’ together before getting into the hustle bustle of the day.

11. November 14, 2011 12:36 am

sometimes that lengthy brekkie is juuuuust what you needed! =) Glad it was well worth the extra time! <3 Everyso often i'll go all out just to fill my belly with something other than coffee fruit and cereal. I think tomorrow will be one of those mornings =)

love ya girly!