Shocker

October 31, 2011

Shocker #1: Kim K’s divorce announcement.  You’re telling me that two people who met on reality tv, dated for three months on reality tv, and got married on reality tv aren’t in it for the long haul?  Question: is there going to be a Kardashian divorce special too?  Because *that* I would actually watch.  What can I say? I’m a sucker for train wrecks.  I was still watching Kate Plus Eight when it got cancelled, if that tells you anything.

Moving on.

Shocker #2: I made a pumpkin treat.

I know, I know—you’re sick of pumpkin.  Heck, even I’m a little sick of pumpkin at this point.  But, we had our English Department Halloween party today, and I wanted to bring something that was seasonal.  It was either pumpkin or turnips.

These bars are from the Brown-Eyed Baker, and they made her top ten pumpkin recipes list, so I knew they had to be good.  They also included this:

So, again, I knew they had to be good.

She actually calls them pumpkin pie bars, and I can see why—the bars are dense, moist, and very reminiscent of my favorite Thanksgiving pie.  If you like dense, fudgy brownies over cakelike ones, you’d probably love these bars.

I made mine in an 8×8 pan, so they were even denser than usual.  Surprisingly, they’re not too sweet—even though they contain two cups of sugar.  I used dark brown sugar, which gave them an almost molasses-like flavor.

If you’re looking for a great pumpkin recipe, I’d highly recommend these.

I’m off to the grocery store, then heading to yoga, and then…I’ll be ready for some trick or treaters!

Hope you get lots of treats tonight!

1. October 31, 2011 8:06 pm

omg SOLD. I think I’ll be making these for a work potluck… with chocolate chips!

2. October 31, 2011 8:23 pm

I have a strong feeling they’d get divorced, not this soon though.

And those bars look delicious :)

3. October 31, 2011 8:47 pm

#1: Not shocked, but kind of surprised they couldn’t even keep it together for 3 months.
    #2: YUM!

4. October 31, 2011 8:48 pm

I was a little shocked by the Kardashian announcement. I mean obviously they weren’t the most genuine couple but I could pick a stranger up off the street and we could make it more than 72 days.

5. October 31, 2011 8:59 pm

Michelle/Browneyed can REALLY cook so if those made her top 10 list, they’ve gotta be amazing and your work on them….stellar!

Shocker, I know, about K & K. I am just getting ready to write a blog post and may mention it too :)

6. October 31, 2011 9:03 pm

I cant… But can…believe theyre getting divorced already. Crazy. Those bars look awesome. I lurve pumpkin.we are getting slammed tonight! I have sooo much candy

7. Marcee permalink
    October 31, 2011 10:54 pm

Yes ….. we figured it out before they were even married!

How can anyone really & truly, tie the knot for keeps after only knowing each other a year? Maybe less than that. No way. Not in these times. Not with those 2 goofies. A huge mis-match. They do not look normal together anyway. Just my opinion though.

Raise you hand if you think Kim married that man because his name was the same as her mama’s. Yeah. My hand is up.

From the get-go, when the marriage thing was announced, various friends and myself (especially!) thought this was a sham. A publicity stunt. Those girls can think up highly creative ways to make the bucks roll in. Of course, “the wedding” did not cost them anything. Most everything was “complimentary.” They (someone did) made millions displaying it all for reality tv. I did not view the episodes though.

You’ve got to give them (mama Kris?) credit for pulling it off. 3 months is a long time to wait (for them) breaking the (sad?) news to us. On Halloween no less. Wow …. talk about high drama.

Looks like the “K-family” is much more wealthy than they were 3 months ago.

Have a spooky evening ya’all …… BOOOO!

P.S. Would love a few pieces of the pumpkin squares. Yum.

8. November 1, 2011 1:21 am

I know I was like ‘what’ when I heard that news about Kim K. totally crazy

and on a better note haha those pumpkin bars look insanely good!! I want one now :)

9. November 1, 2011 1:22 am

I just saw the Kim k thing…yeah. I wish someone would have bet with me on that one!

10. Emo permalink
    November 1, 2011 1:29 am

I heard the news in my Adv. Family Law class; we’re totally gunning for a divorce special. Or a job as Mr. K’s lawyer.
    I made your pumpkin chocolate chip bars to rave reviews! I made them into muffin/cupcakes to use some Halloween muffin liners and they did very nicely!

• November 1, 2011 2:24 am

Oooh, good to know that they work as cupcakes too! Yum!

11. November 1, 2011 1:41 am

I can definitely get down with those bars!

As for the divorce, I’m really shocked Ryan Seacrest didn’t put some sort of section in the wedding special agreement that they would also do a Xmas special of some sorts and/or have to be married for at least 6 months. But then again I heard she made $17M off the marriage so that covers the wedding with another $7M leftover. I may say I’m shocked at all of this but homegirl has a crafty business manager.

12. November 1, 2011 1:42 am

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

13. November 1, 2011 5:12 am

Crazy about Kim, not a huge surprise I guess. :-P The bars sound crazy good!

14. November 1, 2011 11:45 am

Yep, I want these now!

As for watching trash tv, I have totally been sucked in to Sister Wives. I CAN’T STOP WATCHING IT! I actually feel for all of them…except the husband. I kinda think he’s a douche, the the woman and kids…I think I need help!

15. November 1, 2011 12:46 pm

MMMM those look great. it’s hard to go wrong with pumpkin though.

16. November 1, 2011 8:36 pm

I knew the marriage woulnd’t last but I will admit that I still love Kim. I know she has a lot of haters but I like her. I like all of the Kardashians. I mean they are smart as hell to brand themselves and make millions. I would do it if anyone actually cared about who I was. Ha! But after watching the 4 hours (I know I know) of Kim’s Fairy Tale Wedding…I knew this one was over before it started.

• November 1, 2011 9:06 pm

Ahhh, Kelly, don’t tell me that!!! I can’t stand Kim!! :-) I like Khloe and Kourtney…they have attitude :-)

17. November 2, 2011 2:22 pm

Those do look amazing. I love dense and fudgy/chewy bars and brownies. These look right up my alley.

PS – I would so watch the train wreck divorce too. i can’t help myself with trashy tv.

Trackbacks