A Day At the Patch

October 22, 2011

Ryan and I LOVE a good pumpkin patch.  We try to go pick out pumpkins from an actual patch every year—though it can be kind of hard to find a pick-your-own place.  We had a great patch when we lived in Indiana during grad school:

10-13-2006-19 12-8-2004 (3)-14

(get a load of Ryan’s short hair!!)

…in Pennsylvania, not so much.  This place:

new pics 337

…sold itself as a pick-your-own patch, but when we got there, it was just a big pile of pre-picked pumpkins!  At least Ella had fun meeting a reindeer…

new pics 332

Crazy dog.

The patch we went to today—Tate Farms– was perfect.  There were fields of pumpkins for picking your own:

DSC_0049 (44) DSC_0045 (55)

Plus ALL sorts of pumpkins already picked and ready to be bought (and perfect for a little photography practice):

DSC_0043 (57) DSC_0094 (23) DSC_0095 (23)

In addition to all of the gourde action, there were all sorts of other attractions.

A cotton bin for kids to jump and play in:

Farm animals:

…and hayrides out to the fields.

Our journey to the pumpkin patch also provided us with an exciting first—Ryan’s first cotton field!

The crops that have grown around us have changed as we’ve moved from place to place.  In Indiana, we were surrounded by corn fields…Pennsylvania had more corn, plus rolling hills and lots of livestock…and now, in Alabama, we’ve found ourselves surrounded by…

COTTON! If you drive about five minutes outside of Huntsville, there are cotton fields everywhere.  It’s a familiar sight for me—cotton fields were common in Shreveport when I was growing up.  But, coming from Seattle, Ryan said he’d never seen an actual field of cotton until today.

DSC_0078 (35) DSC_0072 (40)

All in all, today was the perfect fall day.  We bought a slice of Tate Farm’s “famous” pumpkin pie to enjoy with dinner tonight.  And of course, we bought pumpkins as well…but you’ll have to wait until we carve them to catch a glimpse. :-)

Hope you’re having a great Saturday!

1. October 22, 2011 8:56 pm

LOVE! We went to the patch today too! That black and white photo looks SO cool

2. October 22, 2011 9:57 pm

Your hair has changed so much over the years! We haven’t gone to a patch in a while and, shamefully, rely on the local stores to bring them to us.

• October 22, 2011 10:23 pm

Ha, I know– it’s really funny for me to look at old pictures, because I feel like it was always REALLY short or REALLY long!! ;-)

3. October 22, 2011 10:03 pm

Gorgeous pictures :)

4. October 22, 2011 10:27 pm

Love the pictures. I have never been to a pumpkin patch and what is sad is that my mom’s side of the family has the “old homestead” property and they do a pumpkin patch deal each year.

5. October 22, 2011 11:00 pm

Oh what a fun day! the weather looks perfect and love the farm animals. Glad you guys had a great time of it :)

6. October 23, 2011 12:34 pm

Fun day! I’ve never been to a pumpkin patch, either. I need to do that! I love that you’re surrounded by cotton fields. You know, that gives you the perfect activity after Baby Weber is born, and goes to the pediatrician. (You know what I mean)

• October 23, 2011 1:43 pm

Ha! Mom, I told Ryan that we used to do that and at first he didn’t believe me.

Maybe y’all can come visit next October and we can go to the patch– it really is a lot of fun to pick your own :-)

7. October 23, 2011 7:45 pm

Looks like a great time! I love going to the pumpkin patch!

8. Sara Grambusch permalink
    October 23, 2011 9:38 pm

Wow that place is amazing! We can’t get all that cool stuff in California :(

9. October 24, 2011 2:26 pm

Those last few photos are gorgeous! Wow! I’ve never been to a cotton field, either. Even when we lived in Tulsa, it was mostly corn. How boring :)

10. October 28, 2011 2:49 am

Oh, you guys are so cute! This looks like so much fun. I went a couple years ago for my birthday and loved it.

11. October 31, 2011 3:14 am

Our family visited this same pumpkin patch that weekend. You all may have even been there at the same time! Crazy.

• October 31, 2011 1:24 pm

Ha! We need to remember to keep our eyes peeled for people that look suspiciously like Nick :-)