Luck in October

October 12, 2011

In the South, eating black-eyed peas on New Year’s Day is a long-standing tradition– they’re supposed to bring you luck in the new year.  We’ve always eaten our peas—here they are in 2010 and 2011

Even though I love the black-eyed peas we eat on New Year’s, I rarely think to have them on any other day of the year—which is ridiculous, because they’re delicious! When I was in the grocery store on Monday, I spotted some on the shelf and threw them into my cart for good measure.  I’m glad I did, because last night, we cooked up a super-fast but super-delicious dinner:

Mmmmm…into a pot, I cooked 1/2 a chopped onion, 1/2 a chopped apple, and 2 chopped links of soy sausage (I like the tofurkey brand).  Then, once that had all cooked down for about 10 minutes, I added a big handful of chopped kale and a can of (already-seasoned) black-eyed peas, plus half a can of water.  Let it cook for about 15 minutes, and it was ready to eat!

This dinner took less than thirty minutes (suck it, Rachael Ray), and was really tasty.  It was the perfect mix of savory and sweet.  Plus, I feel luckier already.

Off to get work done this morning, and then we’re headed to an afternoon showing of 50/50.  See ya!

1. October 12, 2011 1:45 pm

seriously, Rachael Ray’s 30 minute meals are more like 45-50 minute meals. I can do way easier and tasty things in a real 30 minutes!
    I don’t think I’ve ever cooked black eyed peas before! I’ve definitely eaten them just never cooked them myself. Perhaps I need a little luck in my next meal…

2. October 12, 2011 1:48 pm

I never think to use black eyed peas either. This looks fantastic actually. Love the addition of the apple. I actually really like apples and kale together

3. October 12, 2011 2:42 pm

Haha Suck it Rachael Ray! First laugh of the day! Thanks!

I’m going to try this. I love that there are apples in there!

4. October 12, 2011 4:04 pm

I adore black eyed peas…now I’m craving them!

5. October 12, 2011 5:03 pm

I made something similar with turkey kielbasa and apples and sweet potatoes and white beans and cashews….. Yeah, I went a little overboard. :) It was so good. Yours looks tasty too!

6. October 12, 2011 5:14 pm

I’ve been wanting to try soy sausage and I eyeball it everytime I’m at the grocery store, but it never makes it to the cart. I’m definitely using this recipe as my first cooking adventure with it!

• October 12, 2011 5:23 pm

It’s really tasty– and I don’t say that about all soy products!

7. October 12, 2011 6:04 pm

Suck it Rachel Ray is right! These look delicious. We eat black eyed peas year round here! They make amazing bean burgers too! Have fun at the movie!

8. October 12, 2011 8:31 pm

“This dinner took less than thirty minutes (suck it, Rachael Ray)” <— that's what I think to myself when i make a winner in less than 30, too :)

9. October 12, 2011 10:24 pm

Love black-eyed peas! I don’t make them nearly enough either- deliciousness. What a great quick dinner. hahah- your meal is probably way healthier than a lot of Rachael’s too! But I do love her!

10. October 13, 2011 1:24 am

and for ending your post with suck it RR…. you get a round of applause =)

love your face off

11. October 13, 2011 9:52 am

Suck it RR. Exactly!!!!!

12. October 16, 2011 12:24 pm

black eyed peas is something i rarely make. next time I see them I’ll have to try!