I’m…back?

September 6, 2011

Hi friends! I missed you!

This week (give or take) without blogging went by really fast…but I definitely missed the blog.  I did need a break—but I’m not ready to hang up my blogging hat quite yet.  I think the blog will probably be undergoing some changes in the near future—good changes, but changes nonetheless!  But more on that in the upcoming weeks…

And, to be honest, those changes aren’t the reason why I needed a break from blogging.  Truthfully, I think the crazy changes of this summer just finally caught up with me.  From moving to leaving our friends to settling in a new house and starting new jobs, I think the life changes that we’ve undergone over the past couple of months had just begun to…well, to wear me out!

People keep asking us how we like Huntsville, and we do like it—our classes are great (I am seriously in LOVE with my poetry students), the school has been wonderful, we love our house, we’ve met tons of nice people, and we’re really reaping the benefits of being closer to my family—my mom has already visited once, and Katherine, Kevin and Sophie are coming next weekend.

Still, I think both of us are feeling sad about some of the things we left behind in Altoona.  We really, really miss our friends.  And I know, I know—we’ll make new friends here too.  Even if we’d moved to the greatest city in the world, there would be an adjustment period—a time when, no matter how well things are going or how much you’re going to grow to love the new place, you feel out of touch…lonely…and just sad to be away from the familiar.

That being said, every day gets a little easier.  I do think we’ll settle in here…but it’s going to take time.

Whew! Anyway—that’s kind of a long, drawn-out explanation of why a little bit of a disappearing act was necessary.

We did have fun this week.  We explored the “Grand Canyon” of Alabama on Saturday:

Ryan’s still happy to show some ‘Toona love.

Ella found a great swimming hole at the base:

And on Sunday, our friends in the English department had a barbeque—just in time to avoid the massive rainstorm that we’ve had all day long today!  All the rain lead to Baxter and myself spending some quality time together, napping on the couch:

…I promise, I also got massive amounts of grading and poem commenting done.  Baxter did not.

The rain also pushed me into…the kitchen! I haven’t felt the urge to cook much lately, but the cooler temps and rainy day really made me want to get something going in the oven.  I modified a veggie loaf recipe that I found in a Cooking Light advertisement:

This loaf had all sorts of good stuff in it—mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, ricotta cheese, basil, walnuts, barley, and parmesan cheese, just to name a few (ha) of the ingredients.

Unnnnnnnfortunately:

We were so hungry by the time it came out of the oven that we didn’t let it sit, and it pretty much fell apart on our plates!

Oops. Kitchen fail.

No matter—it still tasted great.  I guess it’s going to take me a while to get my kitchen skillz back.  :-)

Hope you had a good holiday weekend, and thanks again for being so understanding about my little blogging break.  I’m going to try to get back into the swing of things…and hopefully some exciting changes are on the way!

1. September 6, 2011 2:30 am

Welcome back! Sometimes we all need a little break :)
    I felt the same way when we moved from our home in NY to FL. It can be hard to make new friends and it doesn’t happen overnight so I understand the loneliness factor. And, ugly or not the loaf still looks tasty to me!

2. September 6, 2011 2:53 am

Tasting great is the hardest part…the “loaf” sounds good! I hear ya on missing your friends. We moved back to Atlanta for a whole slew of reasons, but missing our friends was really the hardest part. I hope you get settled soon. It sounds like you are heading in the right direction!

• September 6, 2011 1:40 pm

Man, I know you guys have had moving stress even worse than we have!! Here’s hoping BOTH our lives get settled back down soon!

3. September 6, 2011 3:02 am

Yay for you being back! I love that picture of you and Baxter, Lincoln and I fall asleep like that once in awhile (ok every day!) Glad to hear you’re getting settled in there and love it, there is so much greenery!

4. September 6, 2011 3:31 am

Glad to have you back!! Everyone needs a break :) Life transitions can take their toll.

Sounds like everything is falling into place :)

5. September 6, 2011 5:19 am

welcome back!! glad the break was good for you and it helped you realize things..about what you need and dont need in your life right now.

and changes…the after-effects all hit all at once, usually a while after the actual change(s) have happened. So good for you for doing what you need to do to take care of YOU :)

• September 6, 2011 1:36 pm

Ha, yes– I think I had a bit of a delayed reaction or something! :-)

6. September 6, 2011 12:20 pm

Looks like a great weekend Anna. I was in Austin trying not to burn to the ground…it was an epic weekend (and not in a good way). But things seem like they are under control in my part of Austin. Fingers crossed.

• September 6, 2011 1:35 pm

I know, Kelly– I’ve been following along with your facebook posts and the news– SO SCARY!!! I hope y’all are safe and that your home is okay. I’m thinking about you!!

7. September 6, 2011 12:35 pm

Not a kitchen fail if it tasted great right??? Looks like a great place to go hike. I can understand missing those great friends you made. I do hope that Huntsville continues to feel more like home for you guys.

• September 6, 2011 1:36 pm

Thanks, Heather– I think it will! It just takes time.

8. September 6, 2011 2:54 pm

Welcome back! Hope you enjoyed your blog break – we all need one once in a while! Sounds like you had some really special friends in Altoona – but, fear not! Really cool people are out there in Huntsville too. It just takes some time…

9. September 6, 2011 5:12 pm

Welcome back! We all need a break now and again, but I’m so happy you’re back. Moving is always tough — even though we haven’t moved to a faraway place, I still find it takes time to get adjusted to your new surroundings and for your new house to actually feel like “home.” PS – awesome sounding veggie loaf. As long as it tickled the taste buds, who cares how it looks ?! :-D

• September 6, 2011 7:00 pm

Thanks, Andrea!! It’s good to be back!! :-)

10. September 6, 2011 8:39 pm

Nice to see you back to blogging! Nick asked the other day how you and Ryan are doing, and I said I hadn’t seen any blog updates for awhile. But you deserved the break!

Altoona misses you, too! But I’m sure Huntsville will start to feel like home soon.

11. September 7, 2011 12:05 am

Yay, welcome back! And I totally know what you mean by needing a break and being worn out from the summer. Summer was supposed to be vacation for me except I was interning for 10 weeks and I just don’t feel like I got sufficient rest…hence, I’m totally not being able to concentrate and work hard in school! Ack.

I had to move a lot when I was young, and I understand the feeling of missing the old place and the old friends. It’ll fade away as you discover a new love for your new place though, and I’m sure you’ll be making friends left and right.

hope you’re well rested now…and enjoy! :-)

12. September 7, 2011 11:12 am

Why do they always make you wait for the food to actually set before you eat it? It tastes just as good in a pile. :) Glad you’re back!