A Run, A Rant, and A Question

January 31, 2011

Hi friends! We’ve had kind of a drama-filled morning over here!

It’s cold out, but it’s also REALLY nice and sunny, so instead of hitting the gym, I took my workout outside and hit the pavement for a run.  I decided to take Ella along—I really feel bad for her in the winter.  She’s a herding dog, so she has TONS of energy, but living in Pennsylvania, we just can’t get her outside as much as we’d like.  When it’s nice out, we always make an effort to take her out as much as possible, so this morning, I strapped her leash on her and she came along with me on the run.  We covered 4.5 miles in about 45 minutes, which I think is pretty good, considering the fact that the sidewalks were still covered with snow!  I’m so glad that I’m running more outside this winter—there’s something that’s actually really nice about it, once you get over the snow, the ice, and the frozen snot.

Anyway, after our run, I swung back by the house to pick up Baxter and continue on with both dogs for a walk.  The three of us walked around the neighborhood, and after about a mile, I turned around to head home—this is when the drama hit.  We began walking up a street about two blocks from our house, when a striped pit pull emerged, leash-less and owner-less, from a side alley.  I held the dogs still, and after a few seconds, the owner came out of her house and began calling the dog’s name, with no response.  The dog kept coming our way, and I could tell right then that there was going to be trouble.  You could just tell that she was in an aggressive, territorial mode.  So, the owner keeps calling her and finally comes out of the house in her robe—it’s an older woman, probably about sixty.  The dog makes her way over to us and begins circling Ella; they both kind of engage in a stand-off, and then all hell erupts and the dog lunges for Ella, basically attacking her.  THEN, poor Baxter begins to bark and cry, and the dog goes for HIM as well! This whole time, the woman is just half-heartedly trying to get a hold of her dog, while I’m trying to get myself detangled from Ella’s leash, which wrapped around me when the dogs were fighting.  I keep pulling Ella and Baxter away, and the dog just keeps following us, with the owner trying to grab her without success.  So THEN, as if things couldn’t get worse, the dog lunges for Baxter again, Baxter slips his collar, and runs towards the busy intersection of the cross street.  FINALLY, the woman got a hold on the dog and drags her in the house, as I’m yelling after her, “She needs to be on a LEASH.  You need to PUT HER ON A LEASH!!!”  And she’s just kind of like, “Yeah, I know.”  She doesn’t apologize ONCE.

So, at this point, I have to run after Baxter to keep him from running further into the traffic.  I finally get his collar back on him, and we head home.  My legs were SHAKING—I was SO mad!!!!!! I told the whole story to Ryan, and I practically started crying.  I told him—that dog could have easily killed Baxter in about five seconds flat.  If you KNOW your dog is aggressive, why on earth would you let her out of the house to use the bathroom across the street without a leash?!? PLUS, if your dog attacks another dog, the least you can do is APOLOGIZE.

Ugh.

Okay.  Rant over.  The important thing is that we’re all safe and sound.  I think the excitement really wiped Baxter out:

Actually, that’s kind of what he always looks like.

After our drama-filled morning, I was more than ready for a delicious lunch this afternoon.  I had a lot of time on my hands and we have a surplus of veggies in the fridge, so I decided to cook up a stir-fry with cabbage, mushrooms, red pepper, and edamame.  It was a nice change from my usual salad or wrap!

Mmmmm….good and warm!

Okay, I know this is a long post, but we need your help deciding what we should do with the room! The floors are coming along—we put on another coat of stain, and now we’re just waiting for it to dry.  As of right now, we’re talking about three options in terms of what to do with the walls of the room.

Should we:

A) Paint the window frame a bright color

B) Paint the baseboards a bright color (even if we leave them white, we’re going to have to repaint them because the stain got up on the edges, as you can see)

C) Paint the baseboards AND the window frame a bright color, or

D) Leave all of it white, but get some bright, colorful curtains

Okay—what do you think?  All opinions welcome!!!

About these ads
  1. January 31, 2011 7:07 pm

Oh man, I so SO wish you guys lived closer because all I want to do right now is come over and drink hot chocolate and talk about how you’re going to decorate that room. Our kitchen and bedroom have white walls with woodwork painted bright colors (think your blog color in the kitchen, and a bright blue in the bedroom), and they’re actually pretty cool, although I wouldn’t have thought it would work so well. I’ll post some photos to Facebook so you can see how you like that look in action. Personally, I’d paint the trim a fun color AND get bright-colored curtains, but I might like color a little too much….

• January 31, 2011 7:09 pm

Ha! As I was posting this, I thought, “I hope Elyssa comments with some input!!!”

Please do post the pictures!!! I’m a color-whore too, so I’m sure I’ll love it!!! I feel like I’m always rallying to get more color in the house, and Ryan is always trying to get me to hold back a little. HA! :-)

2. January 31, 2011 7:40 pm

OMG that is really scary. So glad no one was hurt at least, but that could have been very serious. I can’t believe the owner didn’t even apologize. That’s nuts. I think crisp white baseboards would be pretty. Not sure the other colors of your house to give you help on wall colors though…

3. January 31, 2011 7:43 pm

Ugh on no! I’m so sorry you had such a scary morning with the pups! That’s awful, I hate when people don’t know how to take care of their dogs. In other news, the room looks great.

4. JenATX permalink
    January 31, 2011 7:50 pm

The same dog thing happened to me except there were TWO dog owners & other onlookers who wouldnt even help me tear the dogs apart! It was so frustrating, everyone was just standing there watching the dogs fight & watching my unsuccessfully try & stop the fight. I just don’t understand why the actual dog owners didn’t step in..?!

5. January 31, 2011 7:53 pm

oh my goodness i would be so shaken up by that! glad all ended well.

6. January 31, 2011 7:53 pm

What do you want to look at while you exercise? Bold or soothing colors? How much will color impact the temperature in that room?

• January 31, 2011 7:55 pm

Yeah, I think that’s why I’m drawn to bolder colors– because it will mainly used as an “energizing” room, as opposed to a “relaxing” one…does that make sense? I kind of want vibrant colors, like a bright green, that will really…awaken the senses!

7. January 31, 2011 8:07 pm

Oh no! So glad everyone is okay!

I think the room is completely up to you. I done the bold paint before, and I found what works best for me is neutral colored walls and bold accessories :)

The room will look great no matter what :)

8. January 31, 2011 8:08 pm

Wow that is quite the morning!! Sorry that happened to you and your dogs, but I’m SO HAPPY you are all okay. I had a similar thing happen while I was walking all 3 of my dogs. I was shaking too, and now I only walk one at a time, as it scared me so bad!!

I pick option C for the room! I can’t wait to see what you guys do and how it turns out :)

9. January 31, 2011 8:14 pm

option D b/c it’s versatile and with curtains and accent pieces it will be more versatile and simple and clean for the long haul…whatever you do tho will be class act all the way!

the dog story. girl. i would have had to restrain myself from like going and egging her house, calling her names, and just seriously freaking out beyond words. the BEST part is that ppl like that…they will allow their dogs to do that and come up to your baby stroller with your 9 lb baby in it one day. Trust me. It happens and they say “but my dog is friendly she wont hurt your baby”…Right. Sure. Get your dog’s teeth away from my baby’s head!!!!!

10. January 31, 2011 8:19 pm

Bright trim & window!!

11. January 31, 2011 8:23 pm

Bright curtains will have the most pop/impact =)

Poor puppers! dogs for sure need to be on a leash. Even the super well behaved ones! Just in case! yikes. I’m glad your “kids” are ok!

12. January 31, 2011 8:26 pm

Those stand-offs are always terrifying. I’ve found myself in a couple similar instances at our dog park. It shakes you up all day. Eesh. Personally, I’d stick with the bright curtains. It could make for an easier project and you don’t risk getting sick of whatever trim you’ve chosen (or, if you own and try to sell, having to repaint the room). But, I’m totally traditional when it comes to these things :)

13. January 31, 2011 8:26 pm

i would suggest an off white for the walls. maybe a hint of blue or something bright like that since you get a lot of natural sunlight coming in. as well some nice curtains might accent the space really well too. <3

14. Kelly permalink
    January 31, 2011 8:41 pm

I like the idea of leaving everything white but painting the window frames a bright fun color! I love color though…my house is full of it. A yellow kitchen, a red dining room, a textured brown maste bedroom and a toupe bathroom.

15. January 31, 2011 9:28 pm

I have a dog like that, who is aggressive towards other dogs. I can’t believe the owner didn’t do anything about it, my dog is never allowed outside without a leash AND a harness, and I always walk her away if I see other dogs coming. I understand how she is and I know how to handle and control it. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t have her. Just crazy… although I have been on the opposite side of the situation, where I have my dog on a leash and under control and someone else is walking without one and approaches us. I will do everything I can to keep her under control, but sometimes I get so irritated and yell at the other person.. I handled my dog, now they need to handle theirs. Ugh, sorry I totally understand the rant :)

16. January 31, 2011 9:32 pm

So scary with the pups-NOT OK!!!! That room is such a blank canvas you could go crazy!
    Love that plate/bowl!!!!

17. January 31, 2011 9:38 pm

Glad to hear that everyone is okay – I do not own a dog, but I walk in a park that often has a lot of dog walkers. I always carry a small container of pepper spray in case any of the dogs get sketchy. Pepper spray is cheap and causes no permanent damage – I always feel safer when I have it with me, and mean dogs don’t like it;)

18. January 31, 2011 10:11 pm

Gosh, I am so glad your pups are ok! That is scary! I would have been pissed too! Your lunch looks perfect! I love the plate too! Just makes it that much better. I think the rook looks great. I am kind of a simple person when it comes to the walls. I would rather go a little crazier with decorations. Can’t wait to see what you decide!

19. January 31, 2011 10:33 pm

I kind of want to go down there and fight that woman. That is the scariest thing in the world, and Im SO glad your dogs are ok.
    My dog is agressive (sort of, shes more socially stupid than anything) but I know this and keep her on a leash and away from other dogs at all times. End of story. Sadly, my next door neighbors dont do the same thing with their devil dogs. They have 2 very unfriendly beagles, that they constantly just let out in the yard UNSUPERVISED. I’ve lost count how many times they’ve come at my dog. When they came to my door and attacked us, drawing blood, I called animal control. Eventually they put up a fence, but the still let the dogs out front. How do people not learn?

20. January 31, 2011 11:15 pm

I have read so many stories about pitbulls. Why don’t people watch after them? I am happy your dogs are okay!

I would advise against painting the baseboards unless you plan on staying there a long time. It will just look really bad when you are trying to sell the house, and the transitions between white and colored baseboards will look bad. I like the curtain option.

21. February 1, 2011 12:45 am

That is terrible! What a horrible dog owner!!

22. February 1, 2011 1:08 am

OH MY!! What the hell is wrong with that lady???? I am so sorry this happened to you. I have been in the middle of some bad dog fights before, same thing, the other dog is on no leash!!! I mean, what is wrong with people.

I am so glad that everyone is okay though. Thinking of you guys, HUGS!

23. February 1, 2011 1:40 am

OMG! I would have been so upset with that woman! So glad that you and your pups are okay!

24. February 1, 2011 2:44 am

I would have been really upset about the dog thing too. She definitely should have apologized.

I think leave the walls and baseboard white and get some funky curtains.

25. Jane Olsan permalink
    February 1, 2011 2:47 am

..Keep the trim neutral and do other crazy things with color!!! When y’all move south it won’t be such a hassle for the buyers!!!!!! That is awful about your dogs…glad they weren’t hurt. I’ve been having trouble out in Long Lake too! Who are these people that are so inconsiderate?

26. February 1, 2011 2:59 am

Poor pups! You know, I have dealt with several dog-attack cases as an attorney, and if you are concerned that something like that may happen again you can file a report with your local humane society. That way, if something else happens with the same dog, at least it will be on record. It makes me sad for the dog because the owner obviously isn’t properly caring for it, or else it wouldn’t be out attacking. I truly don’t believe they are naturally inclined to be vicious like that. Glad they are okay :)

27. February 1, 2011 5:14 am

I hate dog owners like that! I’ve been attacked too many times by leash less dogs in my neighborhood and it infuriates me. A handicap woman two doors down has a huge, aggressive German Shepard that goes nuts and she can’t control it. I’ve had to hold my chihuahua over my head while he jumped and snapped at my elbows and make mad dashes to my house when it breaks free from her power chair – ugh!

So sorry that happened to you, I would have been terrified. And your poor doggies! But your lunch looks great. :-)

For the room, tough call. I’d almost leave the trim white and paint the walls a key lime green. If not, just leave everything white and get some bright curtains.

28. February 1, 2011 6:39 am

Glad you and the dog didn’t get hurt! I say keep the room white and get some fun curtains, can’t wait to see what you choose.

29. February 1, 2011 12:48 pm

I’m really bad at this but I’m going to go with white baseboards. I’m a minimalist. And I love those floors. #jealous!!

30. February 1, 2011 1:05 pm

That’s horrible. Pits are known for aggression, and while most of the time they can be trained to be really loving, sweet dogs, if people don’t handle them correctly that’s what happens. I can’t believe she didn’t even apologize!! I’m glad that Baxter and Ella are okay though….guess you won’t be going back near that house any time soon!!

• February 1, 2011 1:37 pm

I know– I kind of hate it that it was a pit, because they have such a bad rep, but I know that they can be great dogs if given the chance. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem like this dog is being given the chance :-(