The Lowest of the Keys

January 21, 2011

When it comes to low-key birthdays, I think last night takes the cake!

First of all, there was no cake. ;-) Ryan and I returned home from teaching exhausted…not sure why I was so tired yesterday.  I skipped my mid-day cup of coffee, which I’m sure has something to do with it.  Also, around 5:00, the snow started falling…and it’s still coming down! By the time I got home from class, around 7, all I wanted to do was eat an easy, comforting dinner, watch The Office, and go to bed!

And so…that’s what we did!

We had a *very* plant-based meal…I guess something sunk in while we were watching Forks Over Knives!

We made roasted brussels, tossed with honey, balsamic vinegar, and course salt.  We also made almond butter parsnip fries. Angela was the creator of this one, and, as with all of her amazing food concoctions, it rocks.  Such a yummy flavor combo!  It sounds like a strange one, but I promise, you have to try it!

Mmmm…these brussels were so good.  The balsamic gets very sweet as they roast, with just a hint of tang leftover. Yum!

And after dinner, we did indeed watch The Office and go to bed.  See—I told you! The lowest of low-key birthdays!

Today, I’m meeting a student at noon, and then we’re heading up to State College to see The King’s Speech—I’m very excited about this one!

Hope you have a great start to your weekend!

About these ads
  1. January 21, 2011 1:02 pm

I want to see The King’s Speech too. Hoping for this weekend!

2. January 21, 2011 1:05 pm

i want to see The King’s Speech so badly! i want to hear if you love it :)

3. Kelly permalink
    January 21, 2011 1:06 pm

So Keith and I started something this year called Project 52. It is where we listed 52 things we wanted to do in 2011 and for everything we failed to do we had to pay $5 for each one not completed to our favorite charity. They are a mix of fun things (make homemade cinnamon rolls…which we fabulous btw) and serious things (spend a weekend volunteering at our local food bank). Anyway…one of the things one the list is to eat Vegetarian for 1 week. And your blog is exactly where all our meals will come from! Everytime I see your food I want to move in with you and Ryan! :)

Have a good day today, enjoy the movie and I think you should have a birthday WEEKEND!! :)

4. January 21, 2011 1:18 pm

I’ve really come to enjoy my low-key birthdays. Sometimes those are the best :)

I’d love to hear what you think of The King’s Speech!

5. January 21, 2011 1:33 pm

Happy Birthday!!! I’m so glad that you did exactly what you wanted to and had a low key evening. It’s your birthday and you’ll do what you want to!

Mmmm I may have to try these almond butter parsnip fries :)

6. January 21, 2011 1:35 pm

I totally don’t mind a low-key birthday — especially when it involves parsnip fries, snow, and The Office. We’ll celebrate next weekend!

7. January 21, 2011 1:41 pm

Curious to hear what you think about the King’s Speech. We were so so on it, but I know others think it’s the best movie they’ve ever seen.

8. January 21, 2011 1:48 pm

Oooh I’d love to hear what you think about the King’s Speech.

9. January 21, 2011 1:50 pm

What a beautiful dinner. Brussels and parsnips are SO good. I think brussels are my favorite vegetable. Hope today is wonderful :)

10. January 21, 2011 1:53 pm

Sometimes those are the very best birthdays though. I love brussels sprouts and never think to buy them.

11. January 21, 2011 2:10 pm

Sounds like even though it was low key it was still really nice. The food looked great!

12. January 21, 2011 2:25 pm

Sometimes a low key birthday is just what you need!

13. January 21, 2011 2:31 pm

The Dude and I are going to the movies tonight and I can’t decide if I want to watch The King’s Speech or True Grit – looks so good!

And Happy belated Birthday!!! :) Glad it was celebrated, even if it was low-key!

14. January 21, 2011 2:37 pm

I need to try parsnips next. They are on my list. Low key is not bad. At least you got some relaxing time and a great dinner! I want to see The King’s Speech too!

15. January 21, 2011 2:42 pm

Say hi to Colin Firth for me. :)

16. January 21, 2011 3:26 pm

I think your birthday sounded like a lovely affair. I’m starting to prefer “low key”… :) And who doesn’t love The Office??? Glad you had a good one!

17. January 21, 2011 3:36 pm

Happy late low key birthday Anna! <3

Enjoy the movie! and tell us how it is =)

18. January 21, 2011 5:10 pm

Yum, the fries sound wonderful – I’ve gotta try them! Looks like a great dinner. Low-key bdays are great, especially on a weekday and snow – yikes! Can’t wait to hear about The King’s Speech.

19. January 22, 2011 1:02 am

Love low key birthdays :)

Can’t wait to hear about The King’s Speech!