Kabocha Love

November 8, 2010

Hi friends!

I’m glad you enjoyed Ryan’s post.  I married quite the comedian.  Luckily, it’s the kind of humor that only gets funnier as the months and years pass.  I’m sure the fact that I drink a lot more now than I did when we first met doesn’t hurt.

I kid, I kid.  I drank a lot back then, too.

For today’s lunch post, we have to do a little backtracking.  Cast your minds back to a little time I like to call “last Friday” when Ryan returned home from State College with this little beauty in hand:

She’s not much to look at, is she?  Get over yourselves, people.  If we’ve learned anything from Jessica Simpson, it’s that beauty is on the inside.  That, and that if you’re basing your ability to develop a long-lasting acting career solely on looking hot in a pair of denim cut-offs, you’d better have a back-up plan.  And your back-up plan had better not involve country music.  Or wigs.  Or John Mayer.

She has much to teach us.

Anyway, for months now, I’ve been lamenting the lack of Kabocha squash in our produce markets.  I’ve had to listen to countless bloggers go on and on about this squash dubbed most delicious, most buttery, most in demand.  Alas, I was stuck with my butternuts, acorns, and delicatas.

BUT—on Friday afternoon, that all changed.  Heather advised me to check at our local Asian market, and she was right on the mark! A short trip to State College later, Kabocha squash was mine!

Excited though I was, I didn’t get around to cooking the squash until yesterday (Sunday).  While we cleaned the house and recovered from Nick and Emily’s Oktoberfest (more on that in a later post), our kabocha squash was roasting in the oven.

To cook the squash, I simply hacked it in half, removed the seeds and pulps, and cut it into inch-thick half-ring slices.  I wanted to try a few different seasonings, so I divided the squash into two batches: sweet and savory.

The sweet squash was tossed with a little olive oil, plus some light agave nectar and cinnamon.  The savory was tossed with toasted sesame oil and tamari sauce (similar to soy).  Then both sweet and savory went into the oven for 40 minutes at 375 degrees.  They came out perfectly roasted!

I had plans to incorporate my squash into lunch (and I did), but I couldn’t help but taste a piece straight out of the oven.

My verdict on Kabocha?

Sooooooo good! Now I understand why everyone raves about this squash! The flavor, the texture, the overall sweetness…it was SO tasty!

How have we been eating it?

Well, I’ve had it for lunch, dinner, and lunch again today.  Can you tell that when I like something, I REALLY like it? (Witness: Lifetime movies, Beverly Hills, 90210 (the original, of which the remake is a pale comparison), dogs in clothing, birds, Jeff Bridges, Mad Men, celebrity gossip, Sophie, canned pumpkin, Sweet Valley High).

For lunch, I’ve been really digging this (kind of strange) combination:

Squash + Maranatha raw almond butter, all rolled up in an Ezekial tortilla.  It is so simple, and so, so delicious.

For dinner last night, we enjoyed it cut into chunks and paired with brussels sprouts:

Again, nothing complicated, but oh so good.

This afternoon, after my 12 mile run (woot!), I enjoyed another kabocha (this time, I mashed it, pre-wrap) + almond butter wrap, along with a giant bowl of honey crisp goodness.

Along with a side of Leighton Meester in a Lifetime movie about a haunted sorority house.  Oh, Leighton.  Seeing you in any role other than Blair just feels wrong.  Also—why is it that the older sorority sisters always look like they’re about 40 years old in these Lifetime movies?  It’s like the pledges are being hazed by their mothers.

Anyway.

Looking back over the past three meals, I see that I’ve essentially eaten my weight in squash rind.  We’ll see how this plays out over the next few days.

Hope your Monday is going well! See you for dinner!

About these ads
  1. November 8, 2010 8:20 pm

I still have yet to try kabocha! Time to change that :)

2. November 8, 2010 8:21 pm

You can eat the rind? Is it good? Just a texture thing?

Also: ditto on the Jessica Simpson life lessons. I fear the next lesson is going to be “don’t be with a man who quits his MBA program to mooch off of you.”

• November 8, 2010 11:53 pm

I’ve always liked the peels and rinds of things…I think I have a stomach of steel :-)

3. November 8, 2010 8:23 pm

This is the 2nd blog I’ve read this afternoon raving about this squash, I’m pretty sure I need this in my life!!

Jen

4. November 8, 2010 8:27 pm

I still have not had Kabocha. I think it is supposed to be a lot like a buttercup squash, which I love. Good luck with that rind…I am not sure how that will do? I peel apples due to how the cause me issues! I love your writing! Have a great afternoon Anna!

5. November 8, 2010 8:50 pm

Mmmmm….I LOVE it when it is cold or at room temp. Seriously…my love affair with cold winter squash at the moment is out of control.

• November 8, 2010 11:53 pm

I love it cold too! My husband thinks I’m nuts, but I like it cold, hot, and everything in between!

6. November 8, 2010 9:46 pm

You make even the simplest meals look amazing (squash and almond butter on a wrap–never woulda thought of that myself). I’ve got a couple Chinese supermarkets within walking distance of my house so gotta check out a kabocha squash sometime in the near future, your recipe sounds super easy and delicious!
    -Lisa

• November 8, 2010 11:51 pm

Aww, thank you Lisa! Yes, definitely try to get your hands on one– they’re so good!

7. November 8, 2010 9:46 pm

Isn’t kabocha the best?? mm mm

8. November 8, 2010 10:29 pm

Great post. Yum, I’ve recently discovered these beauties too! Though I’ve always enjoyed them in tempura form at Japanese restaurants. :-) Thanks for reminding me, I have one at home I might bake tonight!

9. November 8, 2010 10:30 pm

Squash + Maranatha raw almond butter = sounds good to me!

something about nut butter on veggies is just sooo good!

your weight in rind–LOL. I’d be in the bathroom…haha!

• November 8, 2010 11:50 pm

I have spent more time than usual in the bathroom during the past 24 hours. Coincidence? :-)

10. November 8, 2010 10:54 pm

I don’t know about eating the skin like that. Kinda creeps me out.

• November 8, 2010 11:50 pm

Oh, it’ll creep you out…and clean you out. As in, clean out your digestive tract. For reals.

11. November 8, 2010 11:06 pm

I love the J.Simpson reference. I was actually watching old episodes of Newlyweds on youtube the other day…she was so cool back then!

• November 8, 2010 11:49 pm

I know…I have all three seasons of Newlyweds on DVD (I LOVVVVED that show), and it makes me so sad when I watch the old episodes!

12. November 8, 2010 11:32 pm

Isn’t it the best! I love combining it with black beans over lettuce or in a wrap with spinach or kale. I don’t even season it, just roast it plain and I’m a happy camper. How can something so unattractive be so darn good???? So glad my tip panned out for you.

• November 8, 2010 11:48 pm

Oooh, yes– I can’t wait to combine it with kale!

13. November 9, 2010 12:10 am

I’ve never tried kabocha squash. I’ve seen it about a million and a half times in the blog world, and yet still, havent tried it. That should be my mission for next weekend. Find a kabocha squash. :)

Also, you totally cracked me up with that Jessica Simpson bit. Hilarious!

14. November 9, 2010 2:48 am

I must try kabocha squash!

I always go through food phases. Right now its pumpkin oatmeal…… I’ve been having it daily for like a week! What can I say, there’s no fighting what the stomach wants ;)

15. patti permalink
    November 9, 2010 3:45 am

Just after I read your post about Kabocha, I went to Central Market and what did I see right by the door? Yes, I brought one home with me so I can indulge too.

16. November 9, 2010 12:24 pm

My first kabocha is sitting on my counter…I can’t wait to tackle that sucker!

17. Ginger permalink
    November 9, 2010 11:54 pm

I bet I can’t get Kabucha here – dang!! It looks great! Your posts have been hilarious lately! I’ve been enjoying them so much!