Let’s Talk About It

October 11, 2010

Hey guys! We got back just last night (technically this morning, actually—12:45 am—whew!) from our whirlwind California trip.  It was a FAST trip—got there Friday, and left on Sunday morning.  Still, it was a lot of fun! Ryan’s cousin was getting married, so we got to spend time with some of his family that we don’t get to see very often.  I also got to meet some of his friends from college, which is always a good time.  The stories they tell… :-)

Anywho, over the course of the weekend, I took about four pictures.  I guess we just got caught up in the festivities—sorry about that!  Sometimes you just have to live your life and not worry about taking pictures, you know?

This morning, Ryan picked the dogs up from the boarders and I got to work on our October challenge:

This is just some of the stuff we’re going to try to work through this month.  We also have lots of stuff in our freezer that we’re going to try to eat through too.

It’s a lot, but if we can just make a dent in it, I’ll be happy!

After doing some work, I headed to the gym for a treadmill workout.  Around mile 4, I was interrupted with a text from my sister.  It was a video text…of Sophie saying “Mama”!!  I can’t believe she’s already putting words together!  It’s time to start working on “Anna”  :-)

Lunch was easy:

Ezekial wrap with white beans, spinach, and cheddar cheese, plus a hand-picked apple.  Yum!

When I was at the gym, I saw a sign for a “zero tolerance” weight gain campaign.  Apparently, our gym is running a program where you weigh in at the beginning of the holidays (October 15th) and then again at the end (January 10th), and if you haven’t gained any weight, you get entered to win prizes.

I kind of have mixed feelings about this.  On the one hand, I think it could give someone (maybe me?) more initiative to stay healthy during the holidays, a time when many people (maybe me?) tend to throw all healthy eating to the wind, overindulging and eating with abandon.  On the other hand, I could see how engaging in a program/challenge like this could induce feelings of guilt or failure if you gained weight over the holidays, and could make certain food-centered traditions less enjoyable.

What do you think?  Is a challenge like this a good idea, or is it asking for trouble?

About these ads
  1. October 11, 2010 6:50 pm

Love your handwriting, haha it’s so pretty! I think it’s a good challenge in theory, but I also agree with the negative things you pointed out about it.

2. October 11, 2010 6:59 pm

that’s a good question…i feel like it’s a good incentive for anyone who hasn’t dealt with an eating disorder in the past…but for someone like me it would definitely induce guilt and instigate poor behaviors!

3. October 11, 2010 7:12 pm

double edge sword about the weighing in….for some it can help, for other be a huge hurt…each person has to know her threshhold on that!

Glad the CA trip was great…albeit a whirlwind. GOOD that you didnt take too many pics and just enjoyed!! that’s imp to put the camera away sometimes :)

4. October 11, 2010 7:24 pm

Oh Sophie, she is getting so big now! I am glad you had a great trip! Pictures aren’t always convenient. Oh well, ya just go with it. As for the gym challenge, I can see where that can be hard on some people, but I guess it depends on if it is a choice to join in on the “game”. You shouldn’t be forced into something like that.

5. Kristi permalink
    October 11, 2010 7:47 pm

Go for it. You could win a prize. And, don’t put pressure on yourself… no harm, no fowl.

6. October 11, 2010 7:47 pm

Wow, what a whirlwind trip! I did a CA trip like that when I lived in Florida and it seemed to take longer to recover from jet lag. The wrap looks wonderful and I need to take on your same goal of cleaning out my pantry too. It’s so easy to grab new ingredients for recipes, throw the rest in the pantry and forget about it. :-P Glad you survived your trip.

7. Ginger permalink
    October 11, 2010 10:11 pm

I think it’s a good idea, mainly because the holidays have gotten SO food oriented (I know our house is) that it’s just too easy to gain a lot of weight. Speaking for myself, maybe it would be good to have an incentive to just eat normally and still enjoy myself – I love to win prizes, and I would love to not gain a ton of weight just because of the holidays.

8. Jen permalink
    October 11, 2010 10:20 pm

Hmmm.. i say go for it you are confident that you’ll feel OK about yourself if you do happen to gain some weight come January 10th (day after my birthday!). I think it is an excellent idea to be honest and I kind of want to try it myself. Last year I went a little crazy after finals because I had been cooped up in the library for 4 weeks eating nothing but cereal and crackers because I didnt have time to cook. I REALLY do not want to do the same thing this year.. if you try the challenge I will too! I just have to go out and get a scale first

9. October 11, 2010 10:42 pm

hmmmmmm- i know exactly what i would do. sign up knowing that it’s really not going to motivate me one bit. then carry guilt around.

overall, i think it could be a good motivator for tons of people but i think they could have titled the challenge better.

10. October 11, 2010 11:04 pm

I don’t think I would do a challenge like that for the exact reason you said. I wouldn’t want to put unhealthy pressure on myself that could make me not enjoy the holidays. Plus, so much affect scale weight and the foods around holidays could show a bump in weight but it just be water weight. I think its good they want to motivate people that may otherwise go CRAZY, but personally I would rather keep things as balanced as possible on my own.

11. October 12, 2010 12:15 am

not sure. it’s all about doing what you want to do. if you don think it would get into a funk about the scale–go for it! The scale shouldn’t rule your life either way, just be a guideline and not something to make or break your day. good luck!

12. October 13, 2010 4:22 am

um are you KIDDING me with that handwriting?! it’s utterly breathtaking!