Leftovers to the Rescue

September 8, 2010

On Saturday night, I made extra soup, knowing that the leftovers would come in handy one night this week when we were too tired to cook.

Tonight was that night!

We returned home from classes tired and hungry and not at all in the mood to cook something new…enter leftover barley soup. It was just as good tonight as it was on Saturday…maybe even better!

We also enjoyed warm bread on the side:

I was really tired after my teaching today, but after a nice glass of red wine and some warm, crusty bread, I was feeling much better! Now I’m catching up on Bachelor Pad…I think it’s going to be an early night!

I promised you my thoughts on Eat, Pray, Love, which I saw last night.  Honestly—I liked it! I really did not like the book, and in fact didn’t even make it past the Italy section.  There was just something about Gilbert’s voice that drove me crazy! Despite this (or maybe because of this?), I actually enjoyed the movie much, much more.  Did it change my life?  No.  But, the food looked amazing, the scenery was awesome, and it co-starred Javier Bardem.  Not too shabby.

Off to bed for me.  See you tomorrow!

About these ads
  1. September 8, 2010 12:59 am

Haha love the bachelor pad, so funny.

2. September 8, 2010 1:13 am

How you felt about the movie is how I feel about the book. I don’t feel its life changing. I think it brings up some insightful points but nothing that I’m going to take to heart and live differently over after reading it. I use the Bbile for that. ;) But still decent enough. I’m interested to see the movie when it comes out on DVD.

And we always make a ton of soups and chilis so we can freeze half for easy meals.

3. September 8, 2010 1:15 am

I love leftovers, especially soup. It makes dinner so much easier after a long day at work.

4. September 8, 2010 1:22 am

Soup is one of my favorite leftovers. Super easy to portion, super easy to reheat. I love your bowl, too. So pretty!

5. September 8, 2010 1:28 am

i liked “eat pray love” too. it seems like most people did, despite me hearing that everyone didn’t!

6. September 8, 2010 1:41 am

Your pictures are always so lovely! Glad you liked the movie :)

7. September 8, 2010 2:32 am

Leftovers come to the rescue for me all the time…

I didn’t like the book EPL but I might venture to watch the movie when it finally makes it to HBO. :)

• September 8, 2010 12:07 pm

Yeah, it would be a good one to watch on HBO.

8. greensandjeans permalink
    September 8, 2010 5:01 am

Definitely agree with you on the Eat Pray Love review. It was a nice thing to watch for a couple of hours and it made me want pizza.

9. September 8, 2010 11:27 am

I wasn’t a fan of EPL either, and haven’t seen the movie. I’m sure it has good messages, but I feel like it’s kind of overrated!!

• September 8, 2010 12:06 pm

Definitely overrated :-) Glad I’m not the only one!

10. September 8, 2010 11:33 am

How did I miss the Bachelor Pad?? Dangit! It’s such a guilty pleasure!

11. September 8, 2010 11:34 am

bachelor pad–is it me or is tenley so annoying?!?! with her high pitched always smiley self haha..>i mean, love the girl but shes just so damn chipper all the time!!

• September 8, 2010 12:06 pm

Haha, YES!!!! Oh my gosh– my husband and I always talk about how we understand why she didn’t get chosen now :-) Can you imagine dating someone who was that chipper ALL. THE. TIME. ?!?

12. September 8, 2010 11:38 am

I’ve been meaning to see that movie for weeks…I need to do it already…before it’s out of theatres. I’ve heard so many iffy reviews, I’m glad to hear you liked it! I think I’ll like it too…I’m not too picky when it comes to movies :) The soup looks wonderful! And beautiful photos!!

13. September 8, 2010 1:01 pm

So it was soup and bread for you too huh??? What is it about a good hunk of bread?

14. September 8, 2010 1:51 pm

Leftover night is definitely a little gift you give yourself! That is going to be tonight for me. Glad you got the chance to relax. I didn’t read that book, but I want to see the movie just for the reasons you mention. I will definitely put it on my rental list when it comes out. Have a great day Anna!

15. September 8, 2010 2:04 pm

I enjoyed the movie too! I think they did a good job removing some of Gilbert’s neurosis and making it more about the journey. But they still held true to a lot of the book which is always good for a book-turned-movie too!

16. September 8, 2010 2:23 pm

i liked both the book and the movie, but honestly the movie really didn’t focus on the themes of the book the way i’d hoped. it was STUNNING and julia roberts does an amazing job (per usual) but i know that if i hadn’t read the book i would have been massively confused…

17. September 8, 2010 5:15 pm

Alright, maybe I’ll check out the movie and skip the book for Eat, Pray, Love – thanks! The soup looks good, I will be doing a lot more bean soups this winter for sure!

18. September 8, 2010 5:17 pm

Love soup with a side of bread! Best combo ever!