Bad Things Come in Threes?

June 23, 2010

If that’s true, I’m watching my back, because I’m definitely up to two.

Last night, after my stressful online classroom shenanigans, I settled down on the couch with my computer.  I read some blogs, did some coursework, etc.  Then, I headed back upstairs to plug my computer in and turn in for the night.

I plug my computer in.  It starts sparking in the power cord plug-in.

I pull the cord out.  I consider the risks of electrocution.  I plug the cord back in (yes, I’m an idiot).

It keeps sparking.

It fades to black and dies, never to see another day.

A little piece of my heart dies as well.

So, needless to say, a trip to Best Buy was in order this morning.  After a small freak-out last night in which I might have screamed, “I didn’t back up any of my f$#&ing files!!!!!!!!!”, Ryan kindly reminded me that the beautiful geeks at Best Buy can recover almost all files.  God bless the geeks.

Sure enough, this morning at Best Buy, the geek squad was able to recover all of my files and transfer them to my shiny new laptop.  Success!

In truth, I’ve been needing a new laptop for a while—my old one was getting majorly overheated (I’m talking “third degree burns if I held it on my lap for too long” overheated).  Still, the moment when a laptop just dies  nothing if not terrifying.

After our morning at Best Buy, I threw together a quick lunch:

6-22-2010 005

Two tacos filled with black beans, salsa, and purple cabbage, plus a Kashi granola bar for dessert.

I also got to chat on the phone with my good friend Sarah for over an hour, which helped to turn the day around and make it a good one after all.  Sarah is one of the most genuinely sweet people I know, and she always makes me laugh.

These flowers that Ryan brought home didn’t hurt either:

blog 006

That guy!

This afternoon, we both had our free appointments with two trainers at our new gym.  We expected it to be pretty low-key—they were supposed to measure our body fat, help us assess our fitness goals, etc.

Well, my guy ended up being quite the salesman, because he talked me into buying 12 sessions of personal training.  It’s something I’ve always wanted to try, and the price was right, so I figured—why not?

The truth is, I’ve never been good at pushing myself at the gym.  I always do the same cardio (treadmill), the same weights routine, and then maybe a few half-assed stretches.  I rarely vary my routine, and it shows—I’m almost never sore after a workout session!  I can tell that my body isn’t being challenged, and I’m hoping that these training sessions will do just that.

If today is any indication, dear LORD I have a lot of challenge to look forward to.

Eric, my trainer, did a free session with me today, so that I could see what to expect from our training.

Holy cow…I feel like I spent all afternoon at the Biggest Loser ranch.  Not even kidding.

I started off on the (real) Stairmaster, aka the gauntlet, climbing for 15 minutes.  It had me sweating more than my 60 minute runs on the treadmill, not even kidding. Then, we headed to the weights room, where I did mountain climbers, push-ups, scissor kicks, squats + curls, lunges, weighted ball crunches, and spent time on some medieval torture device cleverly disguised as an ab coaster machine.

At one point, he told me that I had baby gazelle legs, and that it was time to PUT SOME MUSCLE ON!!!!!!

Somehow, however distantly, I am sure he is related to Jillian Michaels.

And the drill sergeant from An Officer and a Gentleman:

[An-Officer-and-a-Gentleman-11.jpg]

“Mayo, I’m gonna watch you crumble and watch you break!”

He had me finish it up with thirty minutes on the elliptical.

If I can walk tomorrow, I’ll be surprised.

*       *       *

After I escaped the Spanish Inquisition, we swung by Best Buy to pick up my new computer, and then it was back home for dinner.

Tonight’s meal was kind of a “make it up as you go” casserole, but it ended up being really tasty.

I sauteed a zucchini and a yellow squash in some olive oil, seasoned with salt and pepper and a bit of cajun seasoning, and then mixed with three beaten eggs and 1/2 a cup of cooked brown rice.

This went into the oven at 350 degrees for about half an hour, until it was cooked through:

Then topped with cheese and baked for another few minutes:

6-22-2010 013

6-22-2010 015

6-22-2010 018

My serving, times two.  Yum!

I just took some ibuprofen, but I’m thinking something stronger might be necessary.  Do they sell morphine at Rite-Aid?

Good night, all!

About these ads
  1. June 23, 2010 1:47 am

Oh no! Trying to send positive thoughts your way. God Bless the Geeks indeed

2. June 23, 2010 1:58 am

I was honestly reading your computer story like it was a scene from a horror movie!

3. Emily permalink
    June 23, 2010 2:00 am

Wow…and this happened on a Tuesday, not a Monday?! Yikes stripes! I’m glad you could get a new computer. A friend of mine’s computer crashed… approximately 2 weeks before our spring finals this year. Now I really want an external hard drive for back up.
    I hope your Wednesday is better!

4. thehungryscholar permalink
    June 23, 2010 2:06 am

Sorry about your day, but Ryan is trained well with the flowers. Geeks rock, also. So does your food. Cannot wait to visit and eat it, but one request: fries in my salad.

• June 23, 2010 11:07 am

That place closed down!!!! Ha, I can’t imagine why.

Don’t worry– I’m sure there are other restaurants in Altoona that serve fries in salad as well.

5. June 23, 2010 2:36 am

oh man, sorry for the bad day again! the flowers are gorgeous though :) i love the brown rice casserole idea too…YUMMY :)

6. June 23, 2010 3:08 am

My computer wasn’t working for a day and it started working again and I still didn’t back up the files. Oops.

7. greensandjeans permalink
    June 23, 2010 5:36 am

Ughhhhh. One of the saddest moments in my life was when my old laptop gave me the Mac frowny face (this actually exists and is terrifying). Technology is so frustrating! At least it was a good excuse to get a new computer!

• June 23, 2010 11:08 am

Ha, it’s like that unhappy i-pod face! I HATE that face! I don’t know if the new ones even do it anymore, but I remember it from my first i-pod mini about five years ago.

8. June 23, 2010 5:59 am

Looks so Tasty and Healthy!

9. June 23, 2010 6:14 am

holy sh*t you have had a time of it anna!

i have a zip drive that i got about 6 mos ago for that very reason. i have 12k photos not backed up in any other way so it was key. thank GOD you had the geeks to hook you up!

congrats on the new laptop..nothing like spending all that “Extra teaching money” and then some on a laptop. sigh.

but the training sesh. I am happy for you that you have something that’s gonna help you achieve your goals: your new trainer. yay for you!

10. June 23, 2010 9:27 am

Oof bad luck about the techinical stuff! My sister’s Mac crashed a few months ago, 2 days before ALL her end of uni work was due in! She was so gutted..but the geeks fixed it :D praise be for them!!
    That workout session sounds amazing :D and your dinner looks good too!

11. June 23, 2010 10:38 am

What a freaking day! Today has to be better, right? :)

12. June 23, 2010 10:51 am

What a day! Poor thing! Glad it all worked out in the end for you :) and a brand new laptop is never a bad thing!!

13. Ginger permalink
    June 23, 2010 11:37 am

What a day! So glad everything turned out OK. I bet you’ll LOVE having a trainer, and he sounds like a great one! Good for you!!

14. June 23, 2010 11:53 am

Sorry to hear about the computer, but I’m glad they recovered your files!

Working with a personal trainer is TOUGH, but it will probably be awesome!!

15. June 23, 2010 12:25 pm

I am happy they were able to recover your files! Will you be backing up your new computer? :)

Have fun with the personal trainer! I could really use something like that too :)

16. June 23, 2010 12:37 pm

Sounds like your bad things turned out to be good things! I can’t wait to hear how your personal training goes!

17. June 23, 2010 12:51 pm

Girl – when it rains it pours doesn’t it???? That casserole looks good. Love one-pot wonders like that. Sounds like that trainer is going to whip you into shape in no time flat!! Sadly, I’m thinking “fun!!” LOL

18. June 23, 2010 1:27 pm

You are adorable…I seriously love that even in the midst of disater you still have me smiling! :) Have a GREAT Wednesday and here’s hoping that bad things ONLY comes in 2′s for you! :)

19. June 23, 2010 2:12 pm

Uhg I hate computer problems! Just dealt with mine 3 weeks ago. NOT fun! Glad they saved your file though.

TOUGH workout! Lol. way to stick it through.

Great eats too!

20. June 23, 2010 2:13 pm

Such beautiful flowers!

21. June 23, 2010 4:06 pm

Baby gazelle legs haha! What kind of computer did you get?

I want an i-pad like WHOA.

22. June 23, 2010 4:10 pm

Mmm…looks yummy! New computers are the best. I love getting them all clean and set up.

23. June 23, 2010 4:39 pm

how did you learn to cook liek that! holy yum ur amazing girl!!!!

im so sorry about the computer! i would have cried on the inside, so i dont blame you for having a little part of you die hehe

xoxo <3

24. June 23, 2010 5:11 pm

Sorry to hear about your laptop- mine has been overheating too lately and I’m petrified for the day it dies!!

That trainer sounds INTENSE! I’ve been thinking of buying a few sessions lately too, and this post both scares and motivates me.

Hope you’re having a great week so far!

25. June 23, 2010 5:26 pm

I love it! I guess that is what you pay for…having that trainer kick your butt! Sorry about the computer, I fear mine is heading in that direction! Your dinner looks amazing! I am so with you on that one!

26. cookeatburn permalink
    June 23, 2010 10:50 pm

Here’s hoping the bad stays in twos for you (just pretend that I took up the 3 cliche so you wouldn’t have to ;)). That training session sounds really kick butt.

27. louisianagrown permalink
    June 24, 2010 2:04 pm

Okay so I’m clearly a couple of days behind, but I couldn’t even help but comment because I seriously just choked on my coffee and blogs don’t do that to me very often. Baby gazelle legs?!?! I can totally identify!

But really, I’m picturing him like Ben Stiller in Heavy Weights. Please say that’s what he’s like!

28. June 28, 2010 5:40 pm

So I’m reading through more of your blog over lunch, and I have to ask: In this post, are you referring to Trainer Eric from The Summit? If so, that’s just one more thing we’ll have to talk about tomorrow!

• June 28, 2010 6:03 pm

HA! Yes! Okay, now I’m really curious! Can’t wait!

Sent from my iPhone