A Pack a Week

May 6, 2010

Confession time: one of my worst habits involves a pack a week.  At least a pack.  Sometimes even more.

No, not these:

Been there, done that.

My pack attacks now revolve around this:

Ugh.  Sugar-free gum.  I don’t know when I got so addicted.  I never even used to buy gum.  But in the past six months or so, I’ve been buying it more and more, slowly but surely sinking into what can only be called a GUM ADDICTION!!  I love to chew gum as I grade—it helps me concentrate.  I also chew it out of boredom, and after meals.  I have a stick after lunch, a stick after dinner, and usually two or three sticks in the afternoon.

True, there are worse vices to have.  But going through 5+ sticks of gum a day is starting to hurt my jaw.  It’s expensive.  And I know it can’t be good for me.

So, for May, I’m going cold turkey—NO MORE GUM!

It’ll be tough—I’m starting to realize how often I just reach for a stick of gum to keep my mouth occupied when I’m bored.  I hope I don’t start eating more out of boredom when gum isn’t an option, but it’s highly possible that I will.

I’ll keep y’all updated! It’s time to burst my own bubble!

*       *       *

This morning, around 9:00, I headed out for a run, forgetting the cardinal rule of exercising in the South: GO OUT EARLY.

Early in Pennsylvania is 9:00.  Early in Louisiana is 6:30.  After about 8, the sun starts to really get going, and by 10:00, you could fry an egg on the sidewalk.

When I got back from my 5 mile run, I looked like this:

blog 003

Excuse my wonky Audrina Patridge eyes…I think I was 5 seconds away from a heat stroke.

After soaking my head in ice water cooling off a bit, I hopped into the shower and me, my mom and my sister headed to Ann Taylor Loft while Ryan watched Sophie.  He was excited to take on some baby duty!  As long as it didn’t involved baby doodie, that is.

Lunch was at Sunshine Cafe.  Sorry about the photos—I realized after we sat down that all I had was my i-phone!

I tried some new kombucha, by Honest Teas.  I love their regular teas, and their kombucha didn’t disappoint!  It was different from Synergy, but delicious all the same!

photo[3]

I also enjoyed a 13 bean soup (13?!?), and a salad from the salad bar.  Yum!

photo[1]

photo[2]

Hope your morning has been great!

Are you a gum chewer?  Any tips on quitting the sticks?

About these ads
  1. May 6, 2010 8:23 pm

I am a gum chewer! 5 sticks a day is nothing to me – my habit is out. of. contro. I go through about 10+ sticks a day :s I’d love to join you on the cold turkey thing..but I know I’d fail :p the longest I’ve lasted is til lunch!

2. greensandjeans permalink
    May 6, 2010 8:51 pm

Try a pack a day. It is baaaaad. I’ve cut myself down to half a pack though, so I’m working on it! Stupid sugar free extra and their delicious flavors…

3. May 6, 2010 9:48 pm

I found for gum or even anything else, don’t buy it and then you won’t have it. I know simple but sometimes simple is good.

4. May 6, 2010 9:54 pm

Welcome back to the South! I am a gum addict too. I almost had a mild panic attack yesterday b/c I chewed my last piece and forgot to put another pack in my purse while I was home at lunch.

5. May 6, 2010 10:05 pm

I’ve been addicted to many things over the years that I’ve cut, including gum. I think it’s only really hard the first week. Out of sight, out of mind! just know you can do it. And giving up sugar free gum makes running more comfortable!

6. Emily permalink
    May 6, 2010 10:07 pm

Jon and I have been heading out around 7 pm… just a few hours shy of the hottest part of the day. Ugh.
    I’m a gum chewer, but only after a meal away from home. I’ve never really thought about it. I used to non-sugar free gums (hello, cavities!) but now I chew Trident White. I do worry about the sugar substitutes, though.
    Good luck with your May challenge!

7. May 6, 2010 11:18 pm

Well, it’s better than cigarettes, right? :)

I don’t chew gum but mainly because I have jaw issues.

8. May 6, 2010 11:41 pm

I’m impressed you’re giving up gum! I’ve cut down significantly but I just like it too much. Maye one of these days I’ll cut it out totally, I’m just not ready quite yet =P

9. May 7, 2010 1:00 am

Chewing gum hurts my jaw, but once I get in a funk, I can’t stop! If I were to buy a pack today, I’d be insane about it for a few days, chewing like a cow! Then I’d make myself stop…haha.

10. May 7, 2010 1:24 am

I am a HUGE gum chewer! It’s crazy. I always carry several packs with me. I’ve never thought that it could be bad for me before but you may be right..
    Yes, down here in the South you have to get up EARLY to beat the heat!

11. Jessica permalink
    May 7, 2010 1:25 am

I went cold turkey….you are going to go through withdraws…I went through a pack a day…

but I havent had gum now in a year. YOU can do it :)

12. May 7, 2010 1:25 am

good luck with quitting the gum! i had done it once, but now i’m back on it. i figure it’s a lot better than my cigarette habit!

13. Katherine: What About Summer? permalink
    May 7, 2010 1:26 am

I don’t chew gum but I think it’d probably help me from snacking so much!

what exactly were all the beans in that soup- 13 seems high to me

• May 7, 2010 1:15 pm

I know, right?! I’m not sure– there were definitely chickpeas, black beans, white beans…other than that, who knows :-)

14. May 7, 2010 2:00 am

I’m such a gum chewer! It’s just necessary at times for fresh breath. After a morning coffee, gum is needed!

15. May 7, 2010 2:51 am

welcome back!

all my pics are posted super hot and sweaty, and yes, it takes courage. and yes, you look awesome in it!

gum. i went for YEARS without chewing it and omg we’re soul mates, in the last 6 mos, i buy it! I have about 2-3 pieces per day but i chew for like 5 mins then spit it. I was for awhile doing like 5 pieces a day but I just cut back naturally…coffee, gum, if these are our worst vices, we will live long lives :)

16. May 7, 2010 11:13 am

My sister goes through a pack every day or two–just constantly chomping away at gum. It only bothers me when someone is a loud chewer. Discreet gum chewing, no problem. But please, no smacking lips. ;)

17. May 7, 2010 12:15 pm

I think I’m the only person in the world who doesn’t like gum! Haha

18. May 7, 2010 12:28 pm

Back in the day I was totally addicted to gum. I think your best bet is to replace the habit with something healthier. So maybe make it a goal to drink a full glass of water after meals, when you would normally chew gum, or something like that.

19. May 7, 2010 12:49 pm

haha, yeah , 13 beans is a LOT! I love bean soup :)

So you are addicted to the sticks? I have never really been a big gum chewer. I get gas and bloating from sorbitol in SF gum, so it’s a nice way to keep me from chewing it all the time. As for the cigarettes, I used to smoke on occasion, did you too? I was never a “smoker” but all of my friends smoked so I bought bum one often (I was a bummer) and I also worked in a restaurant for 5 years where we got breaks to go have a cigarette. Pathetic. I took breaks and smoked just to stop working for a few seconds!

• May 7, 2010 1:17 pm

Yep– I started off as a bummer, and then in grad school I slowly became a smoker. I always denied it, but looking back on it, I definitely was one! Ugh. Luckily it was only for a few years.

20. May 7, 2010 12:49 pm

In university I chewed a pack of cinnamon gum A DAY when I was studying. I would pop one, then another while I was still chewing the first one, then another…until I got a wad so big I couldn’t chew it anymore. Then I’d toss it out and start over.
    It was awful. My jaw hurt.

…I just stopped buying it.

21. May 7, 2010 3:57 pm

Ahh… summer is definitely there! :) I am hoping to put off the early morning runs here for awhile.

I actually really hate the way gum tastes and only use it when I need to “clean” my teeth and don’t have toothpaste. Good luck on the challenge!

22. May 7, 2010 6:23 pm

I love gum, especially Stride! Cold turkey, wow, good luck girl!

23. May 11, 2010 4:08 am

Though I’ve never been addicted to chewing gum (chapstick on the other hand…!) for the past few years for some reason I started tearing my sticks of gum in half and only chewing half a stick of gum at a time. I started doing that for my husband when he’d ask me for gum and I’d give him the other half and he resisted it for a long while but now he does it on his own! Saves money, that’s for sure…a whole pack will last you twice as long!
    Good luck this month going cold-turkey, I know you can do it!
    -Lisa