Burger, Part Deux

April 6, 2010

Hey guys!  Hope you’ve had a nice Monday.  Just remember—it’s all downhill from here! :-)

Earlier today, I took the dogs for a mile-long walk, dropped them off at the house, and continued on with my walk while talking to my sister.  I ended up covering 5 miles!  Time flies when you’re catching up with your sis!  Everything is going well with their new baby…I can’t wait to see them again in less than a month.  I bet Sophie will already be different!

Tonight, burgers were on the menu…portabella burgers, that is!  I love portabella burgers—so dense and meaty!  We marinated ours in balsamic vinaigarette before firing them up on the grill.

Well…Ryan did the grilling (as usual):

blog 027

As a fun side, we grilled…lettuce!  Seeing this lovely blogger’s grilled caesar salad reminded me how much I love grilled lettuce.  I eat it all the time in the summer—it’s a unique, easy side.  One of my favorite lettuces to grill is radicchio—it’s pretty bitter when eaten raw, but when you grill it, it gets really nutty and almost sweet tasting.  Absolutely delicious!

Tonight, we chopped one small head of radicchio into smaller segments and skewered the segments.  We also grilled two “heads” of endive, chopped in half, four pieces altogether.  We brushed all of the lettuce with olive oil, seasoned with salt and pepper, and cooked on the grill for about 10 minutes (five minutes for each side).

As Ryan worked the grill, I threw together a dressing for the grilled lettuce salad:  2 tbsp. lemon juice, 1 tbsp. olive oil, 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar, and 1 tbsp. dijon mustard.  Yum!

Once the lettuce was brought inside, I plated it and topped it with the dressing and some sharp white cheddar.

Finished product:

blog 028

grilled lettuce salad

endive

Along with my bella burger:

blog 036

portabella

Mmmmm…if you haven’t ever grilled lettuce, give it a try!  It’s a delicious change of pace from traditional fresh lettuce salads!

I finished American Wife this afternoon—I really liked it!  I thought the last twenty pages dragged on and got a little too heavy, but overall, I thought it was really interesting.  I kind of want to read a Laura Bush biography now!

Hope you had a good night.  See you tomorrow!

About these ads
  1. Emily permalink
    April 6, 2010 1:01 am

I’ve never thought about grilling lettuce! Hunh.
    I’m glad you liked American Wife. Have you read or did it make you want to read her other novels? I’m reading Up in the Air right now; hopefully I’ll finish it by this weekend!

2. April 6, 2010 1:48 am

oh wow what a good looking and delicious meal :)

3. April 6, 2010 1:59 am

Oooh I’ve never tried grilled lettuce but yours looks absolutely amazing! Darn I wish I had a grill!

4. April 6, 2010 2:15 am

Again, you guys eat better than ANY other 20somethings i know. Grilled endive and raddic. Nice. Love them both, eat very little of them b/c we donating the grill (that high raw thing goin on) and they are bitter raw. But yeah, I can do raw brussles so that shouldnt be a prob :)

Thx for your kind words about skylar reading :)
    And also what happens to bloggers when they get “popular” that unsolicited advice comes knockin’…not that i think im popular, but that yea, people come outta the woodwork more often.

oxxo

5. April 6, 2010 2:17 am

i agree; the first parts of american wife were so much better but overall, a great, fun read.

6. April 6, 2010 2:35 am

I need to try the grilled lettuce!!! YUM!

7. April 6, 2010 2:45 am

I have never had grilled lettuce. It looks really good though. When we move into a house (whenever that is), I really want to get a grill.

8. April 6, 2010 2:53 am

I agree with you about the end of American Wife AND wanting to know more about Laura Bush! Interesting stuff!

9. April 6, 2010 4:05 am

I never thought about grilling lettuce, but why not, right? Your burger looks delish- I love grilled portabella- so rich in flavor!

10. April 6, 2010 8:34 am

Grilled lettuce! I have NEVER heard of that, but now I really want to try! I suppose you can roast cabbage and kale, so why not grill lettuce? Genius :)

11. April 6, 2010 10:17 am

Grilled lettuce is so so good but yours looks so cookbook-worthy!!
    I’ve never had portabella mushroom before and feel like I’m missing out..

12. April 6, 2010 11:49 am

Man oh man you guys are good eaters! And cute ones, at that!

13. April 6, 2010 12:45 pm

I’ve never had grilled lettuce. Sounds pretty interesting.

14. April 6, 2010 12:52 pm

YUM YUM YUM. It’s almost impossible to go wrong with grilled portobellos. One of my hubby’s favorites is when I grill them and top with goats cheese and grilled red bell peppers.

• April 6, 2010 2:22 pm

Ooooh, yes, that is a DELICIOUS combination!

15. April 6, 2010 1:33 pm

Your dinner looks fabulous! I wish I had a grill now :-)

16. April 6, 2010 1:48 pm

That looks great! I’ve always wanted to grill lettuce… I have a feeling it wouldn’t be quite the same on a George Foreman.

17. April 6, 2010 2:09 pm

I think I just need you to come cook for me ;) Everything you make looks utterly fabulous!

18. April 6, 2010 2:25 pm

I thought those were artichokes on that plate! Wow, I’ve never heard of grilling lettuce. The things the bloggers are teaching me!

19. April 6, 2010 2:26 pm

I’ve been wanting to try the grilled salad too! Yours looks amazing! I might try it in the oven since I don’t actually have a grill =)

20. peanutbutterfingers permalink
    April 6, 2010 2:29 pm

my ryan always does our grillin’ too. :D i love the pic of your ryan & the grill. he’s a cutie!

21. April 6, 2010 3:25 pm

I’m about 50 pages into “American Wife.” Sittenfeld’s “Man of My Dreams” is one of my all-time favorite books!

I am yet to try a “bella burger,” but fiance and my friend Liza say they are excellent meat substitutes …. maybe sometime soon!

22. Mindy permalink
    April 6, 2010 4:15 pm

Anna, you need to update your recipe list. I demand it :) I am looking for an entry on grilled veggie tacos and I can’t find it anywhere!!! Also, I would like to make your grilled lettuce later on and know I can find the recipe!

23. April 6, 2010 4:19 pm

Ryan is so cute!! :)

24. April 6, 2010 4:22 pm

I’ve never even heard of grilled lettuce, but I love anything grilled, so this is going on my summer to-do list!! Hope you’re having a great Tuesday :)

25. April 6, 2010 4:30 pm

Mmmm, looks great, I need to get more creative on what my hubby can grill for me! :-) Happy Tuesday!

26. April 6, 2010 5:57 pm

I had the same feeling when I finished American Wife! I really wanted to know how much was somewhat accurate and how much was purely the author’s creative imagination.

27. April 6, 2010 8:30 pm

I have never grilled lettuce before! I’m already worrying about what we’re going to grill this summer and you’ve give me some great ideas!

28. April 6, 2010 10:37 pm

Everything is better grilled! Yummy looking dinner!!